U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2016, 08:23 AM
 
48,828 posts, read 39,326,235 times
Reputation: 30483

Advertisements

Why settle for a mere 1% wage tax when you could implement a 5% wage tax like Philadelphia has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM
 
Location: IN
20,162 posts, read 34,448,438 times
Reputation: 12495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why settle for a mere 1% wage tax when you could implement a 5% wage tax like Philadelphia has?
It will cement the city into permanent Rust Belt status with all areas outside the city performing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 AM
 
1,381 posts, read 1,701,206 times
Reputation: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
The people of OKC are probably better than the people of KC and sure better than the people of any East Coast city based on the fact that they are Christians's which makes for a Red City.
I know right? It just burns me up to think about all those liberal people in coastal cities sinning, appreciating fine arts, and coming up with innovative, new ideas. San Francisco would be a much nicer place if they would just open up more Christian megachurches and embrace conservative fiscal policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 AM
 
80 posts, read 69,663 times
Reputation: 82
Kansas City Area Employment ? November 2015 : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Not sure if anyone has seen this before but I think it is cool to know that the area is adding jobs, definitely not at the same rate of booming areas, but that is alright because this is still heading in the right direction. The whole KC area needs to recognize that poaching each other does not add any new (net) jobs, it only makes matters worst. Keep in mind that this number has not included the 10000+ that would be added when the new Cerner campus in South KC opens. So that is heading in the right direction.

This number also includes the KC startups last year, I would assume. They are startups but hey, that is 10 new companies setting up shops downtown, plus a couple of ones from San Fran that open operations downtown in the past year. Hopefully, bigger corporate ones start noticing and take pride in having urban core presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 07:39 AM
 
Location: IN
20,162 posts, read 34,448,438 times
Reputation: 12495
Kansas City : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Overall total non-farm employment declined in the KC metro area between November and December by a significant percentage. January totals are not up as of yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,695 posts, read 18,471,768 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas City : Mountain?Plains Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Overall total non-farm employment declined in the KC metro area between November and December by a significant percentage. January totals are not up as of yet.
And the MO side has been adding quite a few more jobs than the KS side (while the KS side has been winning the "border war") All while metro employment remains rather stagnant compared to most cities that should be peers to KC. Further proof that decades of poaching companies across state line and corporate welfare have done more harm than good to the KC region. And not following the national trend of bringing jobs back to urban walkable center city areas isn't helping KC either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 05:29 PM
 
Location: IN
20,162 posts, read 34,448,438 times
Reputation: 12495
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And the MO side has been adding quite a few more jobs than the KS side (while the KS side has been winning the "border war") All while metro employment remains rather stagnant compared to most cities that should be peers to KC. Further proof that decades of poaching companies across state line and corporate welfare have done more harm than good to the KC region. And not following the national trend of bringing jobs back to urban walkable center city areas isn't helping KC either.
A sampling of employment growth by percentage change for Midwest metros from December 2014 to December 2015:
Sioux Falls: 4.1%
Grand Rapids: 3.8%
Des Moines: 2.9%
Indianapolis: 2.7%
Cleveland-Elyria: 2.2%
Columbus: 2.0%
Cincinnati: 1.9%
Minneapolis-St. Paul: 1.8%
Omaha: 1.8%
Madison: 1.6%
St. Louis: 1.2%
Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia: 1.2%
Wichita: 1.1%
Fargo: 1.0%
Milwaukee: 0.8%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin: 0.6%
Kansas City, MO-KS: 0.3%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,695 posts, read 18,471,768 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A sampling of employment growth by percentage change for Midwest metros from December 2014 to December 2015:
Sioux Falls: 4.1%
Grand Rapids: 3.8%
Des Moines: 2.9%
Indianapolis: 2.7%
Cleveland-Elyria: 2.2%
Columbus: 2.0%
Cincinnati: 1.9%
Minneapolis-St. Paul: 1.8%
Omaha: 1.8%
Madison: 1.6%
St. Louis: 1.2%
Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia: 1.2%
Wichita: 1.1%
Fargo: 1.0%
Milwaukee: 0.8%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin: 0.6%
Kansas City, MO-KS: 0.3%
Jesus, how bad would things be if Cerner wasn't bringing in thousands of new jobs to the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 07:34 PM
 
Location: IN
20,162 posts, read 34,448,438 times
Reputation: 12495
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Jesus, how bad would things be if Cerner wasn't bringing in thousands of new jobs to the metro?
It's not good. It goes back to metro regional economic development with greater tangible results, not politicians playing middle school games with public tax dollars with wasteful subsidies. Time for businesses to pay their own way instead of middle class taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 09:19 PM
 
172 posts, read 98,332 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A sampling of employment growth by percentage change for Midwest metros from December 2014 to December 2015:
Sioux Falls: 4.1%
Grand Rapids: 3.8%
Des Moines: 2.9%
Indianapolis: 2.7%
Cleveland-Elyria: 2.2%
Columbus: 2.0%
Cincinnati: 1.9%
Minneapolis-St. Paul: 1.8%
Omaha: 1.8%
Madison: 1.6%
St. Louis: 1.2%
Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia: 1.2%
Wichita: 1.1%
Fargo: 1.0%
Milwaukee: 0.8%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin: 0.6%
Kansas City, MO-KS: 0.3%
Ouch, even STL is scoring on KC. And Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top