Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
My relatives indicate that it seems like leaves take longer and longer to fall off trees in the more urbanized parts of KC. Due to the urban heat island, some of the trees don't completely lose leaves until later in November. Some of the rural outlying areas with earlier frost/freeze dates lose leaves much earlier.
That could depend on the kind of trees also. We have maples that drop their leaves in September and October. After all of those leaves are gone, we have a pin oak in the backyard still full of leaves. It doesn't start dropping leaves until November and sometimes at Thanksgiving is still full of leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That could depend on the kind of trees also. We have maples that drop their leaves in September and October. After all of those leaves are gone, we have a pin oak in the backyard still full of leaves. It doesn't start dropping leaves until November and sometimes at Thanksgiving is still full of leaves.
I remember one Fall there was a "flash freeze" meaning low temperatures were in the low 20s in mid October actually froze leaves to branches, they didn't fall off until December. That was in 2000 if I recall correctly. Yes, it does depend on the type of tree, but the urban heat island also has an impact as well. Lawrence and St. Joseph often have much cooler low temperatures than urban areas of KC.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:10 AM

34 posts, read 135,128 times
Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and info!

We realize that no matter where you live, the weather will never really be perfect. But the weather sounds so much better to us than what we dealt with in Chicago, or what we're dealing with in Austin. I'm really growing to hate the weather here in Austin. It is just so hot, for most of the year. Even this winter, we've barely gotten much of a break. There were a couple of weeks where it got "cold", like 50s for a high. But we've had several days this winter where we've hit the 80s. And 80s in Austin feels soooooo much hotter than up north. I remember up north that all winter long, even on the most sunniest days, you couldn't really feel the warmth of the sun until sometime in spring. In Austin, you feel the sun all, year, long...

Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM

172 posts, read 154,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah12345 View Post
Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and info!

We realize that no matter where you live, the weather will never really be perfect. But the weather sounds so much better to us than what we dealt with in Chicago, or what we're dealing with in Austin. I'm really growing to hate the weather here in Austin. It is just so hot, for most of the year. Even this winter, we've barely gotten much of a break. There were a couple of weeks where it got "cold", like 50s for a high. But we've had several days this winter where we've hit the 80s. And 80s in Austin feels soooooo much hotter than up north. I remember up north that all winter long, even on the most sunniest days, you couldn't really feel the warmth of the sun until sometime in spring. In Austin, you feel the sun all, year, long...
Something else I noticed in KC and other temperate parts of the country. Hot and cold are relative. In April, after winter is over, 80s can feel downright balmy. The same 80s feel wonderful in September after the muggy days of summer.

One constant with KC weather is...well, variety. It's always changing.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:21 AM

377 posts, read 569,447 times
You're getting some great advice here but I might as well chime in. I live in Waldo, and i think it and West Plaza would be your best bets. It's going to be hard to find a house in Brookside or Morningside (another gorgeous neighborhood) for $250K that doesn't need a ton of updating. The housing stock is old and that means issues. But go just south of Gregory Blvd and you go from Brookside to Waldo and boom! The prices drop $50,000 but the neighborhoods are still quaint and friendly and the houses, while not palatial, are very nice with some real gems hidden in among the humbler stock. West Plaza is great because it's close to Country Club Plaza and the coming Whole Foods, has a rapidly changing housing stock, and has wonderful neighborhood traditions like Porch Fest, an annual event in June where 20-30 residents host live music on their front porches. It's utterly charming.

Anyway, welcome.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 PM

237 posts, read 648,145 times
We have been in your same position recently. We are moving from the Houston area to KC. We were focused on the Brookside and Praire Village area, ended up buying a house in Leawood, supposed to move in first of April. It is central to everything by car. I didn't read all of the posts, but one thing you might need to consider is where your kids are going to go to school. If you live on the MO side, you might have to put them in a private school. On the KS side you are going to have better options with public school.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
OP indicated no kids.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:56 PM

@pacificwhim thanks for the tips! I've spent some time now looking at houses that are on the market in Waldo. There are so many unique homes available and the prices are great! Porch fest sounds amazing!

@dickelfan, it's nice to hear about another Texan making the move. I think we will likely rent first so we have even more time to explore all the different neighborhoods and get an idea of what the work commute from different areas will be like. We don't have any kiddos, so we're not concerned with the school districts.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 PM

172 posts, read 154,038 times
If you want even more specificity in your Waldo search, look at Ward Parkway Homes Association. The homes north of 75th are almost as charming as Brookside and are generally the same size. They are also walking distance from the Waldo restaurants and shops at Wornall.

The problem with Ward Parkway HOA is that inventory is low low low.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM

@nycrite, Thanks for the tip! I appreciate you giving us some specifics so we can drive around and explore easier when we come for a visit. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City