Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 812 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Kansas City area in a few months. We are in our 30s and have a 5 year old son. Hubby is a truck driver. I have a few careers, so I'd like to keep my options open and be within a commuting distance (30-45 min) of where all the jobs are. My husband thinks his terminal is going to either be east of the city, maybe around Oak Grove, or northeast of the city. I've never been there so I hope you can help me! We are looking for a safe and family friendly area, a house (so more rural areas I guess), and still be affordable Maybe up to $1350 or so?? Is all of this possible there? I read there's a lot of crime in KC so I'm a little nervous. We've lived in Denver and Salt Lake City before, if anyone can compare the crime? Thank you so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM

166 posts, read 158,163 times
Oak Grove (Eastern suburb) and Liberty MO (NE suburb) are both very safe and family friendly and only a 20-25 minute drive to downtown KC. $1350 will go a long way in metro KC as the cost of living here is one of the best metros in the country. Driving in KC is also a breeze as we have the highest number of highways per capita. You'll love it here.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Oak Grove is about 28 miles from downtown, so that's a bit of a drive if youget a job there. But you could easily find good housing in Blue Springs, which is 8 miles west of Oak Grove and about 20 from downtown. Blue Springs is a very family oriented area with good schools.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Violent crime, as in most cities, is overwhelmingly confined to specific geographic pockets that largely reflect SES (though petty crime is more widespread, as is the case anywhere). As the above poster mentioned, both Oak Grove and Liberty may appeal, depending on where your spouse is based.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,051 times
Don't worry about the crime. Violent crime generally confined to certain neighborhoods you'll likely never see (except on the news).

Oak Grove is a small town east of the eastern-most suburbs. It's sleepy, about 8,000 residents, but also right on the interstate. I work for one of the local TV stations, and I can't remember the last time we went to Oak Grove for anything other than high school football.

Blue Springs is generally the eastern end of Kansas City's suburbs. It's about a 15-minute drive from Oak Grove. It's a mix of suburban and rural. Liberty (northeast) and Lee's Summit (southeast) would be 25-35 minutes from Oak Grove. Both will be more expensive options, but much more affordable than Denver. All three would have plenty of job options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: