Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like the earnings tax won with overwhelming support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:00 PM

639 posts, read 766,525 times
Even though it won, it's still an unfair tax on workers who don't live in KC. I still love the ideal of suburbs taxing KC residents who work outside KC, there's probably more of them than non residents working in KC. And if KC and other cities had been more proactive/responsible with their cities 50 years ago, residents wouldn't have left like they did for suburban life.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Even though it won, it's still an unfair tax on workers who don't live in KC. I still love the ideal of suburbs taxing KC residents who work outside KC, there's probably more of them than non residents working in KC. And if KC and other cities had been more proactive/responsible with their cities 50 years ago, residents wouldn't have left like they did for suburban life.
I'm curious. In what ways should KC (and other cities, as you say) have been ore proactive/responsible 50 years ago? What could they have done to counteract white flight?

Old 05-14-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I'm curious. In what ways should KC (and other cities, as you say) have been ore proactive/responsible 50 years ago? What could they have done to counteract white flight?
It wasn't white flight, it was flight from school busing. Busing students away from their local neighborhood schools. My parents flew out of midtown in 1973 because George B. Longan elementary was only a block away and I wasn't going to be going there because of busing. The doing away of neighborhood schools across the country in favor of busing is what accelerated people leaving the urban areas. Schools should have had the same standards and opportunities and in time people would have moved on their own around urban areas.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
It was a part of life the first six years I lived here, which I spent working exclusively in Kansas City and largely living in Kansas City. Now I neither live nor work in the city itself. It's never bothered me, but I'm not a big complainer about taxes, in general. I basically just consider them to be my dues for being a part of a society with amenities.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
A lot of people, myself included, will not live within KC limits because of the city tax. I have to pay $500 a year to KC because I work within KC. Maybe Lee's Summit, where I live, should impose a 1 percent tax on the KC residents who work in Lee's Summit?

Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
A lot of people, myself included, will not live within KC limits because of the city tax. I have to pay $500 a year to KC because I work within KC. Maybe Lee's Summit, where I live, should impose a 1 percent tax on the KC residents who work in Lee's Summit?
Lee's Summit has higher property taxes, higher utility taxes, and most areas of Lee's Summit that you shop at have higher sales taxes than most of KCMO. Then if you have a single family home, you would need to pay for your trash pickup which is funded by the etax in kcmo. That's about $300 annually.

You are NOT saving any tax money moving from KCMO to Lee's Summit. You will actually pay more and there are not many jobs in Lee's Summit, so if you ever lose you job, I guess you will never take a job in KCMO because if you did, you would really be shooting yourself in the foot by not living in KCMO and still paying the etax.

The etax is just not that big of a deal.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
You can certainly decide not to live in a given municipality and/or not to work in a given municipality if you disagree with the tax situation. Nobody's forcing you to live/and or work somewhere with regulations with which you do not agree against your will.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lee's Summit has higher property taxes, higher utility taxes, and most areas of Lee's Summit that you shop at have higher sales taxes than most of KCMO. Then if you have a single family home, you would need to pay for your trash pickup which is funded by the etax in kcmo. That's about $300 annually.

You are NOT saving any tax money moving from KCMO to Lee's Summit. You will actually pay more and there are not many jobs in Lee's Summit, so if you ever lose you job, I guess you will never take a job in KCMO because if you did, you would really be shooting yourself in the foot by not living in KCMO and still paying the etax.

The etax is just not that big of a deal.
I work downtown KC MO, live in Lees Summit. The etax is a big deal in that it's not right. Why should I be paying $500 a year for the privilege of working in KC. I work for the Federal Govt. Homeland Security has a big center in Lee's Summit. Maybe Lee's Summit should do a "shake down" of those employees that live in KC?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
I think my question still stands. You said KC should have been more proactive and responsible 50 years ago, to keep people from leaving for the suburbs. The eTax is not that old, so you must be thinking of something else. Care to explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City