Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times

Advertisements

Jobs tank in Kansas, surge in Missouri in Kansas City area | The Kansas City Star

Even after KS has been winning the economy border ware recently by poaching a few companies from KCMO last year (the biggest being the Dairy Farmers of America moving to new state funded office building by the speedway), the KS side of KC is getting blown away by the MO side when it comes to adding jobs. Take away those poached jobs and the numbers would be even worse.

Personally since the KS side has proven over many years that they have zero interest in working with the MO side as one metropolitan area, this is great news. I have always said that growth on the MO side of KC is far more important to the KC area than growth on the KS side. Especially if the growth on the KS is coming at the expense of the MO side (typically the case).

Quote:
The bottom line: Missouri gained employment almost five times faster than Kansas in the metro region over the full year from February 2015 to February 2016.

And because the Missouri portion of employment is slightly larger than the Kansas side to start with, the actual number of jobs added was more than six times higher in the Show-Me State.
Quote:
▪ The Missouri portion of the area added 13,900 jobs over that 12-month period, up 2.4 percent.

▪ The Kansas side crept up 2,200 jobs, for a puny gain of 0.5 percent.

Remember, this is not just a one-month trend; this new report measures what has happened over a full year.

And it’s not an aberration.

The BLS information shows that the Missouri side of the Kansas City area has been the clear leader in terms of job growth for many months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:56 PM

684 posts, read 782,504 times
Give it another 100 years, Brownback's PEAK program will start to pay off.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,125,165 times

Your constant putdown of Kansas/Johnson County and posting of ANYTHING you can find that might make Kansas/Johnson County look bad and/or Missouri/KCMO look good make me HOPE Kansas/Johnson County thrive to the detriment of KCMO. YOU always talk about Johnson County not being a "team player." Your posts show that you are really the pot calling the kettle black.

And I will remind you again that in the not so distant past, downtown KCMO was a wasteland where NO ONE wanted to live or work and Johnson County provided jobs and a place for businesses to go.

And I might point out that your link is in the OPINION section. Kansas has much lower unemployment than Missouri. Maybe Kansas didn't NEED to add more jobs and Missouri did!

Everyone I know in Kansas has a job. Can't say the same for people I know in Missouri. Crime is low in Johnson County, Kansas. Can't say the same for Jackson County, Missouri.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:03 PM

19,641 posts, read 9,962,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Your constant putdown of Kansas/Johnson County and posting of ANYTHING you can find that might make Kansas/Johnson County look bad and/or Missouri/KCMO look good make me HOPE Kansas/Johnson County thrive to the detriment of KCMO. YOU always talk about Johnson County not being a "team player." Your posts show that you are really the pot calling the kettle black.

And I will remind you again that in the not so distant past, downtown KCMO was a wasteland where NO ONE wanted to live or work and Johnson County provided jobs and a place for businesses to go.

And I might point out that your link is in the OPINION section. Kansas has much lower unemployment than Missouri. Maybe Kansas didn't NEED to add more jobs and Missouri did!

Everyone I know in Kansas has a job. Can't say the same for people I know in Missouri. Crime is low in Johnson County, Kansas. Can't say the same for Jackson County, Missouri.
What about Wyandotte County? Isn't that the county with the highest crime rate in the state?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What about Wyandotte County? Isn't that the county with the highest crime rate in the state?
I haven't heard that. But even if it is, the crime rate is much lower than Kansas City, Missouri. I live in Johnson County for several reasons, and one of the those reasons is low crime.

But I was talking about Jackson versus Johnson County, since that is what kcmo really has a problem with. We weren't discussing Jackson versus Wyandotte County, just like we weren't discussing Johnson versus Clay, Platte or Cass County.

But if you want to compare all of Missouri to all of Kansas as far as crime goes, I think Missouri "wins."

FBI: Kansas City, other Missouri cities among worst cities nationwide for violent crime - + KSHB.com

Old 04-07-2016, 04:07 PM

80 posts, read 109,955 times
Quote:
I haven't heard that. But even if it is, the crime rate is much lower than Kansas City, Missouri. I live in Johnson County for several reasons, and one of the those reasons is low crime.

But I was talking about Jackson versus Johnson County, since that is what kcmo really has a problem with. We weren't discussing Jackson versus Wyandotte County, just like we weren't discussing Johnson versus Clay, Platte or Cass County.

But if you want to compare all of Missouri to all of Kansas as far as crime goes, I think Missouri "wins."

[url=http://www.kshb.com/news/crime/fbi-kansas-city-other-missouri-cities-among-worst-cities-nationwide-for-violent-crime]FBI: Kansas City, other Missouri cities among worst cities nationwide for violent crime - + KSHB.com[/url]
Nowhere in his post did he mention JoCo, you are just inferring that he is talking about JoCo. Constant and quite stupid JoCo-like ego/attitude to think that the Kansas side of the metro only refers to JoCo. The stats just refer to all the Kansas counties that are part of the KC metro, this include JoCo, WyCo, Leavenworth,...

Old 04-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
Nowhere in his post did he mention JoCo, you are just inferring that he is talking about JoCo. Constant and quite stupid JoCo-like ego/attitude to think that the Kansas side of the metro only refers to JoCo. The stats just refer to all the Kansas counties that are part of the KC metro, this include JoCo, WyCo, Leavenworth,...
You're new. He's been talking about Johnson County ever since he's been on this board - I think since 2007. The opinion piece he linked to talked about Johnson County and "poaching," which is one of kcmo's pet topics. Believe me, he was talking about JOCO. It has nothing to do with ego. Anyone who has been on this board long knows that kcmo has a thing against Kansas, but mostly Johnson County. He's upset because he thinks Johnson County "steals" businesses from kcmo. He sure isn't talking about Dodge City or Wichita or Topeka.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 AM

290 posts, read 342,595 times
I'm still hopeful for the emergence of a 'sharing' metro through regionalism and an end to the border war. And for the sake of Kansas, the end of Brownback's administration and his disastrous policies. Regarding regionalism, I just say the new RideKC logo on The JO in Lawrence, KS. That's a great improvement for a sense of unity.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:27 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,113,696 times
Quote:

I'm compelled to point out that you haven't said anything that rebuts his position that Missouri is trouncing Kansas in job growth. Why do you suppose that is?

Brownback needs to go, and Kansas needs to elect a governor who actually understands the reality of Kansas' role in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM

654 posts, read 618,979 times
Quote:
The key word in the above quote is past. And that past becomes more distant everyday. Right now MO is the growth engine for the metro, and in a bizarre, counterintuitive way, perhaps Brownback is a boon to the KC metro area by getting growth to rebalance by forcing businesses and newcomers to favor the Missouri side of the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City