Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,141,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Park hill school district has a teeny little sliver that falls within the border of KCMO.
1/2 the land area and probably 75% of the population is a "teeny little sliver"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 01:39 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,743,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
1/2 the land area and probably 75% of the population is a "teeny little sliver"?
comical isn't it?

Old 04-28-2016, 05:22 PM

767 posts, read 1,312,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
With the low achievers/troublemakers weeded out. Big difference. And it's still in a high crime area.
The same can be applied to KCK and Sumner though... You couldn't pay me to send my kid to the other schools within the KCK district. Wyandotte has good districts in Piper and Bonner Springs. Lansing has become attractive as a suburb as well because the schools are loads better than Leavenworth. I mean Leavenworth offers almost no shopping so they have to make do with a tiny Walmart, an ok Kmart, or drive to Legends.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 AM

77,899 posts, read 60,048,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You are right, I'd had a bad map in front of me.

So yeah, there is one adequate (but not great) public school district as long as you live in the northland area.

My point that the schools are a problem point in attracting people to the metro still stands.

Oh well, I should have known better than to try to talk reason with any of the KS or MO locals....just too much blind hate. Heck, even when I parody it in an effort to get people to reflect they don't even realize it.

I'm not sure what is sadder, the people that still think Brownback is doing a good job or that his plans would ever work....or the people that think that all the woes of KCMO are the fault of KS.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
comical isn't it?
As comical as pointing to one month of job gains.

The #1 difference between us is that when shown we were wrong I admit it and you double down.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:

So yeah, there is one adequate (but not great) public school district as long as you live in the northland area.

My point that the schools are a problem point in attracting people to the metro still stands.

Oh well, I should have known better than to try to talk reason with any of the KS or MO locals....just too much blind hate. Heck, even when I parody it in an effort to get people to reflect they don't even realize it.

I'm not sure what is sadder, the people that still think Brownback is doing a good job or that his plans would ever work....or the people that think that all the woes of KCMO are the fault of KS.
I'm sorry, but your posts only show you just don't know what you are talking about.

Park Hill IS a mostly KCMO school district and it's not just "adequate" it's an excellent public school district and it's closer to downtown than comparable districts like Blue Valley. This attitude of dismissing a highly rated school district just because it's in Missouri is exactly why so many MO residents resent KS residents. There has always been this undertone attitude by JoCo people that there nothing on the MO side that is as good as anything in JoCo and it's such an arrogant and ridiculous attitude.

North Kansas City, Platte County and Liberty are also excellent districts that serve very large portions of KCMO. The newer portions of these districts in areas that are served by Staley High School in the NKC district or Liberty North in the Liberty District for example are almost no different than what you will find in far southern Johnson County. And of course there are good suburban schools in Jackson County as well.

Why would metro area schools be a problem for attracting people to the metro? The metro area has many great school districts on both sides of the state line as well as many options for urban schools that are very similar to any large city. KC is not at any sort of disadvantage due to public school options. Most young people that want to live in the "central" city don't have kids and don't care about public schools and chances are very high that even if there were good schools, that most would still leave for the suburbs to raise children for many reasons such as larger home, more yard, cheaper home, safer neighborhoods and "easy" public schools. The smaller percent of people that want to stay in the city to raise a family and are willing to send their kids to urban schools are generally going to find a way to do that via private, charters or public school options. Again, KC is no different than any other large city in the country in this regard.

And nobody has ever said that all of KCMO's problems are because of Kansas. However, it would be nice if Kansas would actually cooperate and work with KCMO to make all of metro KC a better and more economically vibrant place. The bistate issues in KC have kept the city from moving forward in many areas and stats show that metro KC is not doing all that well and many people on both sides of state line have pointed to all the poaching and corporate welfare as a major reason for such stagnant growth.

And one more thing. The KS side of KC has been declining for some time now, much more than a month. The last post I posted was a year, not a month and that was about a year after I posted similar data. Just like people in Kansas have blinders on when it comes to Brownback, they apparently have blinders on when it comes to just how well the KS side of KC is really doing as well. From funding for public schools to job creations, the KS side has many more issues than the MO side right now. And urban kcmo is in full blown redevelopment mode while urban kck is doing almost nothing with the vast majority of the original city east of 435.

I actually don't wish for the KS side to struggle. Never have. I have no problem with JoCo growing and would love to see KCK's urban core come back to life similar what's happening in KCMO. But I can't support how JoCo or KCK grow. Find some other way to grow other than at the expense of KCMO by poaching and freeloading.

There is a reason so many people moving to KC are choosing "adequate" areas of metro KC like Downtown and the Northland right now...

Last edited by kcmo; 04-29-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
Quote:

:
Untrue.

A number of solid districts serve KCMO addresses.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Untrue.

A number of solid districts serve KCMO addresses.
Such as? And what is your definition of solid?

And to what extent?

But wait, no....nothing is wrong with KCMO...it's a utopia. It has no room to improve despite people um....talking about how it's working to improve.

You guys are as delusional as the Brownback folks.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm sorry, but your posts only show you just don't know what you are talking about.

Park Hill IS a mostly KCMO school district and it's not just "adequate" it's an excellent public school district and it's closer to downtown than comparable districts like Blue Valley. This attitude of dismissing a highly rated school district just because it's in Missouri is exactly why so many MO residents resent KS residents. There has always been this undertone attitude by JoCo people that there nothing on the MO side that is as good as anything in JoCo and it's such an arrogant and ridiculous attitude.

North Kansas City, Platte County and Liberty are also excellent districts that serve very large portions of KCMO. The newer portions of these districts in areas that are served by Staley High School in the NKC district or Liberty North in the Liberty District for example are almost no different than what you will find in far southern Johnson County. And of course there are good suburban schools in Jackson County as well.

Why would metro area schools be a problem for attracting people to the metro? The metro area has many great school districts on both sides of the state line as well as many options for urban schools that are very similar to any large city. KC is not at any sort of disadvantage due to public school options. Most young people that want to live in the "central" city don't have kids and don't care about public schools and chances are very high that even if there were good schools, that most would still leave for the suburbs to raise children for many reasons such as larger home, more yard, cheaper home, safer neighborhoods and "easy" public schools. The smaller percent of people that want to stay in the city to raise a family and are willing to send their kids to urban schools are generally going to find a way to do that via private, charters or public school options. Again, KC is no different than any other large city in the country in this regard.

And nobody has ever said that all of KCMO's problems are because of Kansas. However, it would be nice if Kansas would actually cooperate and work with KCMO to make all of metro KC a better and more economically vibrant place. The bistate issues in KC have kept the city from moving forward in many areas and stats show that metro KC is not doing all that well and many people on both sides of state line have pointed to all the poaching and corporate welfare as a major reason for such stagnant growth.

And one more thing. The KS side of KC has been declining for some time now, much more than a month. The last post I posted was a year, not a month and that was about a year after I posted similar data. Just like people in Kansas have blinders on when it comes to Brownback, they apparently have blinders on when it comes to just how well the KS side of KC is really doing as well. From funding for public schools to job creations, the KS side has many more issues than the MO side right now. And urban kcmo is in full blown redevelopment mode while urban kck is doing almost nothing with the vast majority of the original city east of 435.

I actually don't wish for the KS side to struggle. Never have. I have no problem with JoCo growing and would love to see KCK's urban core come back to life similar what's happening in KCMO. But I can't support how JoCo or KCK grow. Find some other way to grow other than at the expense of KCMO by poaching and freeloading.

There is a reason so many people moving to KC are choosing "adequate" areas of metro KC like Downtown and the Northland right now...
You say all that and then you don't cite any ratings. Speaks volumes.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You say all that and then you don't cite any ratings. Speaks volumes.
If you honest to god do not know that there are some very good schools north of the river (most of which are in KCMO), then no, I'm not going to waste my time with you on the topic. I'll save it for people that are actually interested. Thanks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City