Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:23 PM

131 posts, read 185,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ Nice post brandthom. Thanks for that. I wish more people would post things like this.

Can you comment on the location (safety aspect), good or bad?
Its a mixed bag. I'm not going to pretend the area is anywhere near as safe as Pembroke Hill or anywhere in KS, but the school itself is a safety fortress so being in school or on its grounds safety isn't an issue. The problem boils down to the fact that the school is indeed situated on the edge of the worst area of the city. If you'd be comfortable letting your kids walk up and down the 18th and vine/baseball museum area, its fine.

In short: I'd have no problem with my child going there if they were taking the school bus or I was dropping them off, but I'd definitely not let them walk to school, if that helps.

You can make of that what you will. IMO most students don't venture far enough from school grounds for it to be a issue. But it would be a bold face lie to say that if the safest area is on top of your list when choosing a school it would be the best decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 05:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^^^^When my first child was 17 months old we moved from Northeast Kansas City to Johnson County. We did that because we wanted to raise our kids in a place withgood public schools and very low crime. If you want to send your kids to school in a high crime area that's your prerogative. There is nothing wrong with me choosing something different and stating so. You are implying that I'm saying everyone has to think the way I do. I have never said that. But that's kind of what you're doing when you get upset if I don't agree with you.
We know. You must keep this in your buffer so you can quickly hit control/P and less us know again.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandthom View Post
Its a mixed bag. I'm not going to pretend the area is anywhere near as safe as Pembroke Hill or anywhere in KS, but the school itself is a safety fortress so being in school or on its grounds safety isn't an issue. The problem boils down to the fact that the school is indeed situated on the edge of the worst area of the city. If you'd be comfortable letting your kids walk up and down the 18th and vine/baseball museum area, its fine.

In short: I'd have no problem with my child going there if they were taking the school bus or I was dropping them off, but I'd definitely not let them walk to school, if that helps.

You can make of that what you will. IMO most students don't venture far enough from school grounds for it to be a issue. But it would be a bold face lie to say that if the safest area is on top of your list when choosing a school it would be the best decision.
That's about what I figured, but thought I would get your opinion since you went there.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We know. You must keep this in your buffer so you can quickly hit control/P and less us know again.
You are the king of ad nauseam, so you really have no room to talk. And if my opinion agreed with yours, you'd have no problem with me stating it. Since it doesn't, you have to make dumb comments when I post.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 PM

172 posts, read 154,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandthom View Post

How hard was it to get accepted into the school? Was it a placement exam + academic record and/or other criteria?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 AM

131 posts, read 185,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
How hard was it to get accepted into the school? Was it a placement exam + academic record and/or other criteria?
Pretty much. An admission exam, transcript/records and if I recall correctly one or two teacher behavioral recommendation.

Edit: I can't recall how difficult the exam was, but I don't think it was two bad, but then again Foreign Language Academy and Border Star are the closest thing they have to "feeder schools" and I attended Border Star, so I may have been specifically prepared to take the exam. I believe it was about the same caliber as the average standardized exam though maybe a sliver more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: