U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM

57 posts, read 121,939 times

Advertisements

Afternoon,

I am going to come coming through the Kansas City area in mid summer and I am looking for a place to just take a picture of an "Oregon Trail Sign" . I looked up the national park for the trail but they dont have great information for my purpose. I don't have a problem traveling a little ways outside of the city.

Looking for something like the attached file. If you can offer any ideas, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Some local help on finding a photo op?-trail.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 AM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will post after me, but my advice would be to look in Independence. They actually have a National Frontier Trails Museum. I'll bet they would be helpful: National Frontier Trails Museum - City of Independence, Missouri

Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM

28 posts, read 14,115 times
This might not be exactly what you're looking for but if you don't find anything better:

Gardner Junction Park - Gardner, Kansas

Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 AM

385 posts, read 809,710 times
There's signs at various crossings in Johnson county where different trails crossed. But to find a large sign, I'd assume Independence, MO would be the place to look since it was the major jumping off point. That's one of the cool things about Kansas City and MO and KS in general is the history. Not just local history, but the role that the region played in defining the the American Persona. Daniel Boone, Pioneers and the Trails with Manifest Destiny, Bleeding Kansas, the Real Wild West, Aerospace, etc.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,054,269 times
Another good source of information would be the Oregon-California Trails Association ( octa-trails.org ). They are located on the grounds of the National Frontier Trails Museum ( National Frontier Trails Museum - City of Independence, Missouri ). Also next to the Trails Museum is the restore 1879 Chicago & Alton RR Depot ( Home ) , which is open for tours and has lots of interesting artifacts. If you visit any of these you should also check out the Bingham-Waggoner Estate ( Welcome ) across the street. There you can see wagon swales crossing the south field.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:17 AM

29 posts, read 21,603 times
Hmm... I used to drive past a few on a semi-regular basis. I believe it was a small highway south of lawrence that runs to Olathe. Somewhere along there not only are there signs marking the Oregon Trail but there's also ruts in the ground where you can see hundreds of caravans carved a path through the dirt.

Wish I could be more accurate but my dad used to go that way a lot when I was younger. Since I've had a car and moved out I've never really had a need to take that specific route.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 PM

8,792 posts, read 9,620,365 times
The Kansas Historical Society would a good place to start. Many Trails converged and crossed through Kansas. Some of the markers might list all the trails for that site.-
http://www.kshs.org/p/wagons-ho-for-...ia-trail/11842

Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM

889 posts, read 1,428,099 times
There's a lot of little signs, like highway road markers. The only large sign I'm aware of is in front of the Historic Truman Courthouse in Independence. I think this is on the Liberty St. side of the building. Lexington Ave./Liberty St. approximately

Old 05-06-2016, 01:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,054,269 times
There is a large sign for all 3 trails, plus a marble marker, on the grounds of the Rice-Tremonti Home. rice-tremonti.com It is located at 67th & Blue Ridge; about 1/2 mile south of there is Cave Spring Park, which was a stop on the trail.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 AM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
not the oregon trail, but doesn't westport have that old wagon that is a marker for one of the trials? the one in front of half price books?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or