Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I agree with the comments made by Greg Byron in response to Kevy Cat's post on this Facebook page. He is saying everything I have been saying or TRYING to say here about downtown/suburbs/MCI/public transportation/businesses on either side of the state line, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/58116837932/?fref=nf
That's exactly what it is....a World's of Fun ride. And the new toy that it is accounts for the bulk of the opening weekend ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 PM

290 posts, read 346,655 times
Quote:
I would, if I wanted to go to the city market and parking at Union Station was easy (which it usually is). Parking at the city market on weekends can be a nightmare. I usually just go to the Overland Park farmer's market because it's closer, faster and easier. But if I'm with someone else who wants to go to the city market, I will go there.
I have no doubt your history in KCMO has meant riding the bus to various functions in the city wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Frankly, my statement was more directed to the soccer mom in Leawood that may ride the streetcar downtown now, but probably would never jump on a bus.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I think that most people who do not typically use public transit would be more inclined to to hop on a free streetcar than a fare-charging city bus, yes.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:21 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
I have no doubt your history in KCMO has meant riding the bus to various functions in the city wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Frankly, my statement was more directed to the soccer mom in Leawood that may ride the streetcar downtown now, but probably would never jump on a bus.
I would not jump on a bus, either. I did in my younger years on occasion when I had no choice, when I lived in KCMO and was single and childless and sometimes carless or sharing a car, but that was in the early 80s. Would never have considered it otherwise and wouldn't consider it now.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
I think it would be great if it could get people from downtown to Brookside or at least the Plaza. It would really be great if it could go to the airport.
Great, me too. And I'd love to see commuter rail in Johnson County. But the only one of those things currently supported by the voters who ultimately make those decisions is extending the streetcar to the Plaza (and possibly Brookside).

Regardless, any of them have to start with an initial line, in this case, the downtown line. The first US interstate highway plan was for 8 highways, some of which are still not completed. They began construction on 3 in 1956, the first state didn't complete it's system until 1974. There's now somewhere in the neighborhood of 48K miles, but it all started with upgrading just a couple sections of a couple highways. It's no different than when a new subdivision develops. They don't build out all the houses before the lots are sold. That doesn't mean the development is a "failure because no one lives there".

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
i doubt someone from the suburbs would park at union station and take a bus
Quote:
i would

Quote:
i would not jump on a bus either

???

Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That's exactly what it is....a World's of Fun ride. And the new toy that it is accounts for the bulk of the opening weekend ridership.
Wow, some real original thoughts, there.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Wow, some real original thoughts, there.
How could I have forgotten. Everything is upside down now, with the cutting edge in this case being the zest to make it 1890 again. Talk about resistance to change.

Such a silly game.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
the zest to make it 1890 again....Such a silly game.
Even sillier is a grown man regurgitating tired talking points from the anti-transit playbook as though it's a profound and salient argument against transit project in a city he does not reside in.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post

???
Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize it said bus. I thought he was referring to streetcar. I would take streetcar if I could park at Union Station and wanted to go to the river market. I would not take the bus; I'd rather drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City