U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 PM
 
2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Reputation: 1916

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
They probably wouldn't be living downtown if they were intimidated by riding city buses, but they are probably still less likely to take a bus than a streetcar, even if the streetcar is a few minutes slower.
I don't live downtown, but ride the bus as my primary means of in-town travel and have for years. Yet I still switch to the streetcar at US. For one thing, it's faster than the MAX, not slower (though that is almost exclusively a result of a straight route, while the MAX zig/zags several times in it's downtown route).

Additionally, the ride quality difference on the streetcar noticeably reduces the motion sickness that I often get on buses, especially if I'm playing on my phone instead of just staring out the window. Obviously, that's a small concern in the grand scheme of things, but my point is that even as a long-time, daily bus rider who would give KC's urban core pretty solid marks on it's bus system, the streetcar is preferable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2016, 12:08 PM
 
2,652 posts, read 7,639,474 times
Reputation: 1873
Progress: Taking other people's money to get what you want. Then, if they complain about it, call them suburbanites and other derogatory names. Because we all know, getting your money stolen to pay for a streetcar most will not use is the way to economic prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,644 posts, read 5,638,332 times
Reputation: 7496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Progress: Taking other people's money to get what you want. Then, if they complain about it, call them suburbanites and other derogatory names. Because we all know, getting your money stolen to pay for a streetcar most will not use is the way to economic prosperity.
You've summed it up well....thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 12:18 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Progress: Taking other people's money to get what you want. Then, if they complain about it, call them suburbanites and other derogatory names. Because we all know, getting your money stolen to pay for a streetcar most will not use is the way to economic prosperity.
By this logic, childless homeowners shouldn't have to pay taxes that fund education. "I don't need it! I don't use it! Bah!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 12:26 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
By this logic, childless homeowners shouldn't have to pay taxes that fund education. "I don't need it! I don't use it! Bah!"
Now you've summed it up....thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM
 
2,652 posts, read 7,639,474 times
Reputation: 1873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
By this logic, childless homeowners shouldn't have to pay taxes that fund education. "I don't need it! I don't use it! Bah!"
Yes, exactly. It's immoral to steal, you would agree with that. Therefore, it's immoral to take someone's money for "public works" projects. Even if guys in suits get together to vote for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Progress: Taking other people's money to get what you want. Then, if they complain about it, call them suburbanites and other derogatory names. Because we all know, getting your money stolen to pay for a streetcar most will not use is the way to economic prosperity.
Because suburbanites are going to be the ones that pay the vast majority of the property and sales taxes along Main Street? Sure whatever you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 03:01 PM
 
519 posts, read 467,812 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Yes, exactly. It's immoral to steal, you would agree with that. Therefore, it's immoral to take someone's money for "public works" projects. Even if guys in suits get together to vote for it.

I'm not concerned about the "guys in suits'' getting together to vote for anything. It's the non working, non tax paying, basically "takers" of society being able to vote period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 03:02 PM
 
519 posts, read 467,812 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Progress: Taking other people's money to get what you want. Then, if they complain about it, call them suburbanites and other derogatory names. Because we all know, getting your money stolen to pay for a streetcar most will not use is the way to economic prosperity.
Kind of like non residents having to pay earnings tax and then not being able to vote on that same earnings tax, or vote on the airport although we use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 822,598 times
Reputation: 638
I think the streetcar is a great idea and hope to see it eventually expand to The Plaza and Westport. The Plaza and Crown Center could use the traffic boost the line has the potential to bring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top