U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 06:53 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
If traffic on Main ever warrants dedicated lanes, it's an easy upgrade. I believe the preferred streetcar configuration south of CC is center running, but I may be wrong about that. Anyway, as you know well, Main carries so little traffic that dedicated lanes for streetcars wouldn't save any time, unlike DC.
Yea, I thought about that. probably no need for dedicated lanes and taking away parking lanes wouldn't be popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I got about 6 coworkers to ride the streetcar at lunch yesterday, today they were all talking about it saying it needs to be expanded. They ( east side residents) all said the city rushed the vote two years ago (they all voted no on it's expansion to the east side) and the city should have waited until they had a chance to ride it. I think in another year the east side residents would vote for it, they also all said they want streetcar expansion over a new terminal KCI.
There's those pesky co-workers again. Did you tell them that there's no "vs" in "Streetcar VS New Terminal"? It's not a multiple choice question.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 AM

105 posts, read 68,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
There's those pesky co-workers again. Did you tell them that there's no "vs" in "Streetcar VS New Terminal"? It's not a multiple choice question.
agreed, one is paid for with tax dollars, the other is not. there is no competetion.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree with you. When I lived in KC I took buses everywhere, all the time. I had no problem walking outside and taking a bus from crown center to the plaza or downtown loop. It didn't even have to be a max bus, just which ever came first.

Most people that currently live downtown are probably the same way. They probably wouldn't be living downtown if they were intimidated by riding city buses, but they are probably still less likely to take a bus than a streetcar, even if the streetcar is a few minutes slower.

But you have to play this game of providing transit that appeals to the masses. People from the suburbs will ride a streetcar. They just won't ride buses. Tourists, conventioneers etc same deal. Very few of them will attempt to use city buses to get around, but most will try a streetcar.

This extra appeal is enough to make a huge difference and help transform an area from a relatively slow growth corridor with very little street life to a hot corridor where people from all types of demographics and backgrounds want to be, even if it's for a few hours on Saturday night.

The Streetcar is worth the cost even if some of the logistics of it do not make a lot of sense. However, ridership is not going to be all that great after everybody takes it for a fun ride. It needs to go to the plaza/or brookside and to downtown NKC (hopefully in some long stretches of dedicated right of way) for it to really be useful. Hopefully people see this and fund its expansion very soon or it will become a drain on the city in the long run.
Public bus riding is kind of "slumming" I think is the term. I and others I know, co-workers as a matter of fact, won't ride public buses. Various reasons, steps, smell, jerky movements, undesirables, etc, but they/I will ride rail, Streetcar/light rail/trains.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:21 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Getting co-workers to ride the streetcar is engaging people different from one's self, to try something different. Streetcar vs airport is not the issue to people.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 PM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
I see where the street car collided with another JO county driver. Is it really that hard for them to drive downtown?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:35 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I see where the street car collided with another JO county driver. Is it really that hard for them to drive downtown?
I think it's more an issue of a 17 year old driver than a Johnson County driver. But if you want to talk about bad drivers, you should see how Missouri drivers drive in Johnson County!

Old 05-27-2016, 04:02 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think it's more an issue of a 17 year old driver than a Johnson County driver. But if you want to talk about bad drivers, you should see how Missouri drivers drive in Johnson County!
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the geographical home of the driver. 17 year old boys are terrible drivers. It probably shouldn't even be legal. Children that age simply lack the developmental decision-making skills to safely operate motor vehicles.

I am always happy that young people from Johnson County, or Grain Valley or Lee's Summit or wherever are coming downtown at all. I don't really see any reason to shame the kid or to act like no one from a "big city" gets in car wrecks, like it's some kind of suburban or small-town hayseed thing that doesn't ever happen to "sophisticated" city people. In fact, the data would suggest otherwise...the most accidents per capita happen in big, urban cities, the kind where they make fun of anyone from KC as a small-town driver.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:08 PM

684 posts, read 582,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the geographical home of the driver. 17 year old boys are terrible drivers. It probably shouldn't even be legal. Children that age simply lack the developmental decision-making skills to safely operate motor vehicles.
It's funny though, because developmentally, the kid tried to blame the system of the streetcar as the one being flawed.

Quote:
"I don't know if the system, as far as the streetcars coming through, is flawed or what it is, but somehow it wasn't correlated as far as the street light and the streetcars," said driver Dylan Cline.
Sounds like the kid wasn't a proponent of the streetcar. Hmm, maybe he hit it on purrr....never mind.

Car crashes into Kansas City's streetcar | Local News - KMBC Home

Police: Streetcar had green light when hit by car at Truman Road | The Kansas City Star

Old 05-27-2016, 05:28 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
It's funny though, because developmentally, the kid tried to blame the system of the streetcar as the one being flawed.

Sounds like the kid wasn't a proponent of the streetcar. Hmm, maybe he hit it on purrr....never mind.

Car crashes into Kansas City's streetcar | Local News - KMBC Home

Police: Streetcar had green light when hit by car at Truman Road | The Kansas City Star
The kid probably didn't/doesn't have an opinion of the streetcar one way or the other. There were five teens in the car and they all said immediately after the accident that the light was green, which you might kind of expect from five kids afraid they are going to be in trouble. I guess they didn't realize there were cameras! I'm guessing the kid's parents' insurance company is going to have to pay to fix that streetcar and that's not going to be a small amount of money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or