U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-27-2016, 05:34 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867

Advertisements



After watching that video again and seeing the picture of exactly where that car hit the streetcar, one could suggest that likely the kid did intentionally hit the streetcar. It wasn't like it was a front-end collision or something. The entire cab of the streetcar had already entered into the intersection... How do you not see that? He collided with the second passenger car for crying out loud. Then, of course, all of his friends in his car said they all saw a green light ("We all saw a green light, but not a moving streetcar that was already well into the intersection."). Despite many passengers witnessing that his light was clearly red.

Then the kid goes on to rant about how our streetcar must be flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2016, 05:37 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post

After watching that video again and seeing the picture of exactly where that car hit the streetcar, one could suggest that likely the kid did intentionally hit the streetcar. It wasn't like it was a front-end collision or something. The entire cab of the streetcar had already entered into the intersection... How do you not see that? He collided with the second passenger car for crying out loud. Then, of course, all of his friends in his car said they all saw a green light ("We all saw a green light, but not a moving streetcar that was already well into the intersection."). Despite many passengers witnessing that his light was clearly red.

Then the kid goes on to rant about how our streetcar must be flawed.
Oh please. The kid didn't hit it on purpose. He thought he had a green light and went on through the intersection. He said he was surprised to see the streetcar cross his path. Probably NONE of the kids, including the driver, were paying attention.


They were going to a concert. I doubt he decided to hit the streetcar on purpose and possibly KILL him and his passengers at worst or miss the concert at least.


I do hope they did a sobriety test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 05:48 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Oh please. The kid didn't hit it on purpose. He thought he had a green light and went on through the intersection. He said he was surprised to see the streetcar cross his path. Probably NONE of the kids, including the driver, were paying attention.


They were going to a concert. I doubt he decided to hit the streetcar on purpose and possibly KILL him and his passengers at worst or miss the concert at least.


I do hope they did a sobriety test.
Sobriety test on JoCo teenagers? Is this common?

Watching the video he hit the streetcar very slowly. While braking (or slowly rolling) of course. Hitting the safest part of the passenger car, the doors. So no sitting passengers would get hurt.

Just suspicions luzianne, I'm not really inferring that he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
Accidents happen. With only four streetcars and often running all four of them, I wonder how these types of situations will affect service? I mean do they just have entire door and side panel assemblies lying around or is one of the streetcars already spare parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Sobriety test on JoCo teenagers? Is this common?

Watching the video he hit the streetcar very slowly. While braking (or slowly rolling) of course. Hitting the safest part of the passenger car, the doors. So no sitting passengers would get hurt.

Just suspicions luzianne, I'm not really inferring that he did.
Eyewitnesses said the car didn't brake/slow down at all. I really don't think he hit the streetcar on purpose.


Johnson County is VERY serious about drunk driving/underage drinking.


I just thought if the kids were going to a concert, they may have been drinking. Or they may have just been distracted by each other/excitement of the concert/cell phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Eyewitnesses said the car didn't brake/slow down at all. I really don't think he hit the streetcar on purpose.


Johnson County is VERY serious about drunk driving/underage drinking.


I just thought if the kids were going to a concert, they may have been drinking. Or they may have just been distracted by each other/excitement of the concert/cell phone?
Watching the video the car was at very slow speeds upon colliding with the streetcar. Visible by how little damage was done.

Again, watching the video, the light for the streetcar turns green at 0:07, presumably a two second delay after the other light had turned red at what would be 0:05. The wreck doesn't occur until 0:18 in the video. That's 13 seconds to see a red light! And yet not one of five kids could see that it was red?

But of course, our streetcar system is flawed.

Last edited by Truly Missouri; 05-27-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Watching the video the car was at very slow speeds upon colliding with the streetcar. Visible by how little damage was done.

Again, watching the video, the light for the streetcar turns green at 0:07, presumably a two second delay after the other light had turned red at what would be 0:05. The wreck doesn't occur until 0:18 in the video. That's 13 seconds to see a red light! And yet not one of five kids could see that it was red?

But of course, our streetcar system is flawed.
You can go on and on, but it's ridiculous to think they hit the streetcar on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2016, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post

After watching that video again and seeing the picture of exactly where that car hit the streetcar, one could suggest that likely the kid did intentionally hit the streetcar. It wasn't like it was a front-end collision or something. The entire cab of the streetcar had already entered into the intersection... How do you not see that? He collided with the second passenger car for crying out loud. Then, of course, all of his friends in his car said they all saw a green light ("We all saw a green light, but not a moving streetcar that was already well into the intersection."). Despite many passengers witnessing that his light was clearly red.

Then the kid goes on to rant about how our streetcar must be flawed.
Yeah, no way can that be a minor driver's error. Some possibilities, I can think of.

1. DUI (I hope they gave the driver a sobriety test).
2. Distracted driver (texting, not looking at the road).
3. Medical episode (seizure, blackout, etc.).
4. Mental issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 05:47 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,644 posts, read 5,636,236 times
Reputation: 7496
I don't see how anyone can watch that video and rule out deliberate idiocy - especially in light of that comment made afterward.

Quote:
I don't know if the system, as far as the streetcars coming through, is flawed or what it is, but somehow it wasn't correlated as far as the street light and the streetcars
At best, that kid is irresponsible, reckless, and dangerous. His license ought to be suspended for 10 years. I hope the delay in citing him is only a matter of deciding exactly what to charge him with.

"didn't see it coming until it was too late" might be plausible when talking about a bicycle or even a small car - not a mass the size of a streetcar. Throw the book at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2016, 06:55 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't see how anyone can watch that video and rule out deliberate idiocy - especially in light of that comment made afterward.



At best, that kid is irresponsible, reckless, and dangerous. His license ought to be suspended for 10 years. I hope the delay in citing him is only a matter of deciding exactly what to charge him with.

"didn't see it coming until it was too late" might be plausible when talking about a bicycle or even a small car - not a mass the size of a streetcar. Throw the book at him.
A little over the top here, but I won't miss a rare chance to say I agree with CrownVic.

It's WAY more likely that a car full of five teenage boys is too distracted to see a red light - or anything else in front of them - than the odds that he intentionally hit the doors as a moving target, in a split second strategically considering them the safest part to hit, and considering the opportunity to make a political statement in the process. Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top