U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,518 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving from the Baltimore/DC area to KC. We have 2 toddler kids. I have been watching the real estate market for several months and it is appalling. Things sell so quickly, particularly in certain parts of the city. I have to drive to northland 2-3x/week, so we ideally don't want to be very far south.

Here are things we've decided upon.
1. We want to ideally live near the city although want something newer/larger.
2. We don't want to necessarily do private schools, so Missouri is out.
3. We want good resale value on a home since you never know if we have to move within a couple of years.
4. We want something renovated/newer.

Unfortunately, these criteria above are incongruent. We love mission hills, but it is a bit pricey (actually crazy pricey). PV is so variable with homes ranging from 150K-1mill+. To me it seems risky buying a larger home in PV, since you're surrounded by smaller homes. With MH, at least it is consistent.

1. Am I correct in assuming that one can't go wrong w MH...that the prices continue to go up and if you buy right, it won't be hard to sell (<$1mill)?

2. How is old leawood, in terms of consistency of homes and the resell value? How does it compare vs. new leawood?

3. Is the "golden triangle" of Fairway a very strong area? House prices there are high. Is it up there w MH in terms of resale value and "can't go wrong"?

4. Are the Blue valley north (new leawood) schools that much better than the Shawnee mission east (old Leawood/MH/PV schools)? New leawood seems too far south for us.

5. Is downtown KC (walnut and 11th) a decent to place to live for 1 year w kids? We like the urban feel but appreciate that there's no good park or area for kids, which is why we're thinking plaza if we need to rent for a year.

THanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 12:52 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Where are you working? If you are working downtown and will be traveling to the northland a lot, then why would you not live in the Northland? If there are legit reasons that you don't like that part of KC, I get that, but don't overlook that area because you don't think it has good public schools or affluent housing because it has both.

To rent for a year have you tried Union Hill? Probably not much available, but that would be a good place for family with younger kids (as would anything near the plaza). I don't see why living in the heart of downtown would be all that bad for a year. I would do it. It would be fun and you would learn all about the core of the city much faster than if you lived anyplace else so when you did move to the burbs or whatever, you would still visit the city a lot since you would know where to go.

Mission Hills, Fairway etc are all awesome areas. I don't think you have much to worry about as far a housing values. The will continue to go up in those areas. I'm not a fan of Prairie Village. I just don't like the housing stock, but you might find something there. You are right about the MO side in this part of KC not having good public schools, but I think the housing stock is much better in the 250k-600k price point on the MO side. In that price point, you are mostly paying for the better schools on the KS side and giving up some of the charm and character of similar areas just across state line. Above 600k, the housing styles on both sides of state line are pretty incredible.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:56 PM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulthrust7 View Post
2. We don't want to necessarily do private schools, so Missouri is out.
All due respect, but who told you that the whole Missouri side is unworthy of consideration, when it comes to public schools? There are at least half a dozen A+ school districts on the Missouri side, including in the northland, which would be very convenient to your work.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,704,693 times
1. Am I correct in assuming that one can't go wrong w MH...that the prices continue to go up and if you buy right, it won't be hard to sell (<$1mill)?

I think it depends who you ask, but the prospects for future growth have kind of been priced into the market. I personally find the housing in Mission Hills to be overpriced. The mansions in the northern section of it are awesome, but obviously they cost more than a million. "Lower" mission hills is not nearly as distinguished yet it retains a remarkable pricing premium. Probably worth it to a local who has always aspired to have a MH address, but not to me.

2. How is old leawood, in terms of consistency of homes and the resell value? How does it compare vs. new leawood?

I like the price proposition here better than MH. Has a lot of charm.

3. Is the "golden triangle" of Fairway a very strong area? House prices there are high. Is it up there w MH in terms of resale value and "can't go wrong"?

This area is super strong on a dollar per square foot basis. I see is as starter homes for the rich. Everyone there has young kids - once they get into middle school it's time to trade up to something bigger. It seems highly liquid. They are doing some tear down, new builds in the triangle but the pricing seems to suggest they are not all of the highest quality.

4. Are the Blue valley north (new leawood) schools that much better than the Shawnee mission east (old Leawood/MH/PV schools)? New leawood seems too far south for us.

That's a judgement call and it comes down to personal tastes. My family talked me into BVN rather than SME even though it doubled our collective commute. I have nagging doubts as to whether or not that was a good decision overall. I'd probably still choose a smaller, older home in Westwood Hills or Fairway over South Leawood, but both have their advantages. I do believe BVN is trending better.

5. Is downtown KC (walnut and 11th) a decent to place to live for 1 year w kids? We like the urban feel but appreciate that there's no good park or area for kids, which is why we're thinking plaza if we need to rent for a year.

Real tough for me to say.

You should check out Park Hill South HS and its feeder schools as well as close in NE JoCo. It will have the newer housing you want with similar school quality to Shawnee Mission or Blue Valley, and your commute up north will be much easier. Quality subdivisions north of the river and that close to downtown will not be seeing relative value loss anytime soon.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:39 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,759,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
All due respect, but who told you that the whole Missouri side is unworthy of consideration, when it comes to public schools? There are at least half a dozen A+ school districts on the Missouri side, including in the northland, which would be very convenient to your work.
Took the words right out of my mouth. OP, if you're considering Mission Hills, you must have a pretty healthy housing budget. North of the River look at Briarcliff West, Riss Lake, The National, Tremont and Staley Farms for starters. Remember living in the city limits of Kansas City does not automatically mean you're in the KCMO School District.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
It's very hard to top NE Johnson County for proximity to the core, excellent public schools, and charming inner ring suburban neighborhoods. If you can afford Mission Hills or the 'golden triangle' in Fairway, do buy there. It's very tony, but in a laid back KC/Midwestern way. Also look at Westwood Hills. Northeastern Prairie Village is great, the housing stock is doesn't have a lot of sex appeal, but it's a pleasant as it gets. Old Briaricliff in KCMO is another great option with charm, proximity and very good schools. Old Leawood is a lot like old Briarcliff.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. OP, if you're considering Mission Hills, you must have a pretty healthy housing budget. North of the River look at Briarcliff West, Riss Lake, The National, Tremont and Staley Farms for starters. Remember living in the city limits of Kansas City does not automatically mean you're in the KCMO School District.
Yep. And not only that, the majority of Kansas City, Missouri residents live outside the KCMO school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City