Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times

Advertisements

Well, right this moment the streetcar service has been suspended temporarily because there are cars off the track at Union Station; they are saying it's a switch issue. Buses on their way to pick up stranded passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 04:06 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Right at this moment, there's a guy in Johnson County texting his friends, begging for a ride to somewhere because the place he lives in was built so that it's next to impossible to get anywhere without a car.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Right at this moment, there's a guy in Johnson County texting his friends, begging for a ride to somewhere because the place he lives in was built so that it's next to impossible to get anywhere without a car.
What is your problem? There was a derailment and I posted that. No need to get defensive and post stupid comments about Johnson County.

And someone moving to JoCo most likely has a car and is not texting anyone for a ride. The person texting for a ride would be the stranded streetcar passenger.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, right this moment the streetcar service has been suspended temporarily because there are cars off the track at Union Station; they are saying it's a switch issue. Buses on their way to pick up stranded passengers.
I see you're trying to discredit the Streetcar, but they had already planned for this. It even says on the Streetcar's website that they have buses ready to fill in the gaps, or compensate for any issues that may occur. Two wheels came off at a switch, at very very low speed, no one was injured, and service was suspended for about 5 hours on a Monday evening. A few people were delayed a little. Catastrophe!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:47 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
What is your problem? There was a derailment and I posted that. No need to get defensive and post stupid comments about Johnson County.

And someone moving to JoCo most likely has a car and is not texting anyone for a ride. The person texting for a ride would be the stranded streetcar passenger.
My problem is you posted what you thought was a "gotcha" streetcar story in an essentially unrelated thread about totally hypothetical ideas for bus shuttle augmentation routes for the streetcar. But the basis of your "gotcha" is something that occurs hundreds of times a day all over the suburbs due to a design flaw central to their construction without you ever posting about it.

The difference, which is obvious to anyone not advancing an agenda, is that there were no streetcar passengers "stranded" yesterday. Service was handled by an industry-standard a back-up plan.

So I called you out.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
My problem is you posted what you thought was a "gotcha" streetcar story in an essentially unrelated thread about totally hypothetical ideas for bus shuttle augmentation routes for the streetcar. But the basis of your "gotcha" is something that occurs hundreds of times a day all over the suburbs due to a design flaw central to their construction without you ever posting about it.

The difference, which is obvious to anyone not advancing an agenda, is that there were no streetcar passengers "stranded" yesterday. Service was handled by an industry-standard a back-up plan.

So I called you out.
Um, I was going to start a new thread but thought it better to post it in a thread already about streetcars since there were several already. I just picked one; I didn't read through the threads before posting to decide which one to use. Would you rather I had started a new thread?

There were no Johnson County people stranded yesterday, either, and that comment was totally unrelated to the fact posted about the streetcar being off the track; and was posted by you just to be malicious.

There is no "design flaw" in Johnson County. It's the suburbs. We aren't supposed to have mass transit and people understand if they live in the suburbs they are going to need a car. That's sort of the nature of the suburbs. If someone moves here expecting to depend on public transportation, they are stupid.

Last edited by luzianne; 05-24-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Buses on their way to pick up stranded passengers.
Don't they realize streetcar passengers are far too hip and cool to ride buses?

Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
Um, I was going to start a new thread but thought it better to post it in a thread already about streetcars since there were several already. I just picked one; I didn't read through the threads before posting to decide which one to use. Would you rather I had started a new thread?
Yes. You find out what a thread is about first, before posting in it. Otherwise you start your own.

And please don't pretend that you were just innocently reporting facts. There was a reason you chose to point out the derailment. We all have opinions on this forum, including you. There are no Walter Cronkites here.

But I'll grant you this, s.davis' response to you was extremely obtuse. I barely understood it myself.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Yes. You find out what a thread is about first, before posting in it. Otherwise you start your own.

And please don't pretend that you were just innocently reporting facts. There was a reason you chose to point out the derailment. We all have opinions on this forum, including you. There are no Walter Cronkites here.

But I'll grant you this, s.davis' response to you was extremely obtuse. I barely understood it myself.
Okay, another fact. Streetcar was shut down AGAIN today. It was down 5 hours the other day and another 4 hours today. And it's only been running less than three weeks.

You wouldn't mind someone reporting facts if they showed the streetcar in a positive light. You just don't want to hear the facts that don't support your agenda. But two outages already and it hasn't even been running three weeks?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 PM

290 posts, read 346,567 times
Quote:
Okay, another fact. Streetcar was shut down AGAIN today. It was down 5 hours the other day and another 4 hours today. And it's only been running less than three weeks.

You wouldn't mind someone reporting facts if they showed the streetcar in a positive light. You just don't want to hear the facts that don't support your agenda. But two outages already and it hasn't even been running three weeks?
St. Louis has had Metrolink for over 20 years and like any rail based transportation system, issues emerge at times. KC finally gets a rail based transportation system and two issues have emerged, first, regarding a track switch that is a very minor issue, and second, an issue that had nothing to do with the streetcar, but a public works team working on a traffic light. Yet, it's the end of the world. Give me a freaking break, KC....how about we just don't do anything and stay some podunk town while Denver and Minneapolis continue to pass us in population and economic growth, which will continue to happen if we don't invest in a rail based transportation system (i.e. streetcar/lightrail/commuter rail), urban development (new residential construction downtown, midtown, and the plaza), and passing a transit-oriented development (TOD) resolution (to fully utilize land near transit stops, etc.) the city council will debate soon. Thankfully, the powers that be in the city know what's needs to be done to make KC competitive for the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City