U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times

Advertisements

They are saying they still do not know what caused the track switch issue and it is under investigation. The streetcar has been out of service a total of 9 hours after barely two weeks in service. I wouldn't call that minor. I would think something costing $100,000,000 should work. If I spent $30,000 on a new car and it had two "minor issues" that put it out of service for 9 hours within two weeks of my owning it, I'd think there was a problem.

Apparently others think the "minor issues" are a problem because I have seen them say so on social media. On the "rant" portion of the news last night someone called it a boondoggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Okay, another fact. Streetcar was shut down AGAIN today. It was down 5 hours the other day and another 4 hours today. And it's only been running less than three weeks.

You wouldn't mind someone reporting facts if they showed the streetcar in a positive light. You just don't want to hear the facts that don't support your agenda. But two outages already and it hasn't even been running three weeks?
No, the problem here is that you're being passive-aggressive about it. You just sort of report this news item, then "leave it there". What's your point? That streetcars have some sort of inherent technical flaw that makes KCMO stupid for having built one? Modern streetcars run successfully all over the world, and have been around for 100 years. Why should a few technical hangups in the first month cause us to doubt the entire plan?

And yes, a $100 million dollar system should work. But it's not like a car, where it runs the same on any road. This is infrastructure, with lots of moving parts that have to work together, and it's brand new. Holy moly, give them a break. They're taking care of everyone, and no one is getting hurt.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:59 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
They are saying they still do not know what caused the track switch issue and it is under investigation. The streetcar has been out of service a total of 9 hours after barely two weeks in service. I wouldn't call that minor. I would think something costing $100,000,000 should work. If I spent $30,000 on a new car and it had two "minor issues" that put it out of service for 9 hours within two weeks of my owning it, I'd think there was a problem.

Apparently others think the "minor issues" are a problem because I have seen them say so on social media. On the "rant" portion of the news last night someone called it a boondoggle.
You’re kidding right? The streetcar line is a major infrastructure project. It's a given that it will have a few issues, especially in the first year. As far as having design/construction/operation issues, I would say that so far the KC streetcar project has actually been very successful when compared to similar projects. Jesus, the DC streetcar project was way over budget, delayed by many years (they ran test trains for like over two years) and have had many serious issues before the project ever opened.

With the amount of people using the KC streetcar (it’s actually over capacity on many days), it’s doing fine.

The ONLY people that are making a big deal out of the issues the system has had so far are people that

1. didn’t want to see it built and think it’s a waste of money,
2. still don’t like it or use it and don’t want it expanded
3. just enjoy watching something fail in the urban core (especially KCMO)

Take your pick on which one of these categories you fall into, but I’m guessing the last one because you probably don’t care about the first two.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

The ONLY people that are making a big deal out of the issues the system has had so far are people that

1. didn’t want to see it built and think it’s a waste of money,
2. still don’t like it or use it and don’t want it expanded
3. just enjoy watching something fail in the urban core
Yup.

What is bizarre is people who are transparently anti-streetcar and anti-transit always want to act like the are "just sharing a story I saw!", but never seem to share the stories like the streetcar is more than doubling expected ridership every day, or that the JoCo Gateway, the I435/169 interchange and flyovers, the 87th and I-35 projects have all had several setbacks, problems and work that had to be torn out and entirely redone. Somehow positive stories about the urban core and negative stories about 100s of millions of dollars of unnecessary suburban highway boondoggles aren't worth sharing...

Old 05-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yup.

What is bizarre is people who are transparently anti-streetcar and anti-transit always want to act like the are "just sharing a story I saw!", but never seem to share the stories like the streetcar is more than doubling expected ridership every day, or that the JoCo Gateway, the I435/169 interchange and flyovers, the 87th and I-35 projects have all had several setbacks, problems and work that had to be torn out and entirely redone. Somehow positive stories about the urban core and negative stories about 100s of millions of dollars of unnecessary suburban highway boondoggles aren't worth sharing...
Like kcmo "just shared the story" of the man in KCK who killed his son and fed him to the pigs?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Youíre kidding right? The streetcar line is a major infrastructure project. It's a given that it will have a few issues, especially in the first year. As far as having design/construction/operation issues, I would say that so far the KC streetcar project has actually been very successful when compared to similar projects. Jesus, the DC streetcar project was way over budget, delayed by many years (they ran test trains for like over two years) and have had many serious issues before the project ever opened.

With the amount of people using the KC streetcar (itís actually over capacity on many days), itís doing fine.

1. didnít want to see it built and think itís a waste of money,
2. still donít like it or use it and donít want it expanded
3. just enjoy watching something fail in the urban core (especially KCMO)

Take your pick on which one of these categories you fall into, but Iím guessing the last one because you probably donít care about the first two.
Well, obviously you aren't in KC anymore so you don't really know that EVERYONE is talking about it and wondering WTF is up with the "minor issues," including people from the urban core.

I think more than the above three categories you list, there are people like you who are promoters of the streetcar who aren't going to admit there's a problem even if there is.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Like kcmo "just shared the story" of the man in KCK who killed his son and fed him to the pigs?
Yup. And I called him out on that too, if you'll recall.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 PM

290 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:

I think everyone prefers complete perfection with new, expensive infrastructure. Now, if I continue to read about issues then I will certainly question the management of the streetcar, but not necessarily its existence. Streetcars run successfully throughout the world and a few hiccups doesn't doom it in KC. It continues to exceed ridership expectations and has transformed the experience people have of downtown.

Some people still call the Portland streetcar a boondoggle on The Oregonian even though it's one of the most successful systems in the US. It's a funny world we live in.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Yea, well at the same time, I would love to see KCK thrive and would be fully supportive of any major improvements to the city (not village west, but the "city").

Too bad very little happens to get excited about though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or