Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

The city approved Summit Orchards which is next to the Summit Place and Summit Innovation Center which are both under construction. I think Summit Place is where the Cabella's is going to be. Also rumors of a Costco and Trader Joes in this development. There is a Costco at 470 and 70, but this is probably a different market since that store would serve Independence, Blue Springs and north LS.

This is all near Summit Fair and Summit Woods. They are really getting creative with the names I see.

I have no idea why they are saying this is "mixed use". It's not. It's typical suburban sprawl that happens to be developed by the same developer so I guess that means its mixed use? Just because you are building apartments near retail near office doesn't make it mixed use. That's not what that means.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...es-summit.html

This is pretty close to Paragon Star which is starting construction this summer at 470 and View High

Paragon Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
I like how Lee's Summit is growing. Rather very nice. But I could only imagine how much more development (corporate complexes etc) Lee's Summit would have if only it took advantage and harmed KCMO like how other adjacent suburbs do.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
I like how Lee's Summit is growing. Rather very nice. But I could only imagine how much more development (corporate complexes etc) Lee's Summit would have if only it took advantage and harmed KCMO like how other adjacent suburbs do.
I would hate Lee's Summit if they did that and rag on them like I do JoCo. The entire I-470 corridor could easily be lined with office parks if LS poached companies from KCMO. The area is actually perfect for suburban office parks and they have a huge white collar population that currently commutes.

But LS does not go after KC companies. They couldn't compete with Kansas anyway because they are in Missouri and can't offer the incentives that Kansas offers. But even when Kansas is not in the game, they generally don't aggressively compete with KCMO. They also do not compete with Blue Springs, Independence and Grandview. The suburbs have simply decided not to do that to each other. While Overland Park, Lenexa, Olathe etc will trip all over themselves over companies already in JoCo.

Lee's Summit has however lost many companies to KCMO. I know of several start ups that start in LS and eventually needed more space or wanted to be in the city so they moved to KCMO.

If Kansas did not exist, then it's quite likely that the 470 corridor would have millions of sq ft of office space often filled with ex KCMO companies, but LS just wouldn't be able to offer the crazy incentives to lure even more like Kansas does.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:15 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,611 times
The whole needing another Cabela's in the metro thing is ridiculous. If/when the Bass Pro buyout happens the KCK and Independence stores are likely the only two to be spared. They would have been better off luring in something like Gander Mountain, who has been able to peacefully coexist with the Wichita, KS Cabela's. It will also be the smallest of the five giant sporting goods stores in the metro so it's not like it will have the same super regional draw. Just local and people heading down the highway. I'm just worried that this store will be a disappointment because it's smaller than the Wichita store that already has a limited selection and it's likely to be the one that closes if Bass Pro buys the company out. St. Louis, Denver, and KC were listed as the largest problem areas in an article about the merger, and that was before this store was announced. Even in Denver they noted the possibility of just keeping the Aurora Bass Pro and the Lone Tree Cabela's and shuttering the Colorado Springs Bass Pro location.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The whole needing another Cabela's in the metro thing is ridiculous. If/when the Bass Pro buyout happens the KCK and Independence stores are likely the only two to be spared. They would have been better off luring in something like Gander Mountain, who has been able to peacefully coexist with the Wichita, KS Cabela's. It will also be the smallest of the five giant sporting goods stores in the metro so it's not like it will have the same super regional draw. Just local and people heading down the highway. I'm just worried that this store will be a disappointment because it's smaller than the Wichita store that already has a limited selection and it's likely to be the one that closes if Bass Pro buys the company out. St. Louis, Denver, and KC were listed as the largest problem areas in an article about the merger, and that was before this store was announced. Even in Denver they noted the possibility of just keeping the Aurora Bass Pro and the Lone Tree Cabela's and shuttering the Colorado Springs Bass Pro location.
I can't believe the KC area can support two bass pros and two cabellas plus Scheels in Overland Park which I'm guessing is sort of the same thing, but I'm not sure.

That bass pro in Independence seems to be one of the nicer Bass Pros locations I have seen anywhere, so I would say it's pretty safe, plus it just seems like the east metro is a better fit for these types of stores since there are more lakes etc over there and it's on the way to the mid Missouri lakes (ozarks, truman etc). I guess people hunt in Kansas so you have that.

I rarely set foot in these types of stores, so I'm no expert on this topic, but I can't imagine what will happen if they start to close any of these huge stores. They would be nearly impossible to re-purpose. And most of them are HEAVILY subsidized. I'm sure the new one in LS will be as well.

And if Bass Pro buys out Cabella's? Yea, I don't see two bass pros in the 470 corridor and it looks like the one in LS will be in a strip mall environment so I don't see them closing the Indep store. So you will have one new, but probably smaller strip mall Bass Pro less than ten miles from a major Bass Pro store in Indep. Makes no sense. I agree, why not Gander Mountain. Something totally different and more sustainable.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-26-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City