Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,056 times

Advertisements

I just got asked to fly into KC for a few job interviews. I was told Tuesday 5/24 that my interview is Friday morning 5/27! So that leaves little time for planning/researching my trip. So I need help, if anyone is willing! Depending on the travel schedule (they haven't even booked my flight yet!), I anticipate having time to drive around and tour KC Friday afternoon/evening and early Saturday morning. Not a lot of time, I know.

What I am asking for is if anyone would give advice on neighborhoods/suburbs to go tour while my family is in town. If we move to KC, we would like to rent somewhere for a year in a really good school district and find a neighborhood that we really love and then buy a house. We are looking for what everyone looks for…great school district, ‘walkable’ to shops/restaurants, short commute to work (intersection of Hwy 150/I-49, Belton, MO I guess)…just a great place to raise a family and be in a great community. When we purchase, we’ll be in the $300K+ range.

I would prefer a more established area that has mature trees (our son really wants to build a tree house) while my husband likes newer homes (which will therefore have little trees). And one more picky thing, my husband is a HUGE Mizzou Tiger fan and that apparently means he refuses to live in Kansas? I could care less but for his sake, I would like to hear some good Missouri options for towns.

I am originally from Nebraska, he is from between KC and Columbia MO, and we currently live in Cincinnati. So we ‘get’ the Midwest and know that most anyplace we settle in will be friendly. I would just like a friendly push in the right direction. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,148,029 times
Less' Summit.

Downtown is charming, has a fair bit of walkability and leafy blocks in the immediate vicinity, though the homes tend to be more modest and I don't think there is a lot of availability, since the area is so small. There are also tons of new homes in less walkable suburban neighborhoods in Lee's Summit. The schools are excellent, it's very convenient to Belton. If you are going to rule out the Johnson County suburbs that fit your desires for no sensible reason, Lee's Summit is about your only choice, though even including Johnson County, it's probably your best choice anyway.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,782,014 times
I would concentrate on Lee's Summit. You won't find very many "walkable" areas in suburban KC, at least walkable as in being able to walk to a grocery store (not sure how often people would do that anyway).

Lee's Summit is close to your work, on the Missouri side, affluent, new and yet it maintains its own identity and and has a great sense of place for a suburb. They have a very vibrant downtown area, but that area will have older housing stock.

If you want newer housing, go in any direction from Downtown Lee's Summit and you will find new homes or newer homes that would have more mature trees. Lee's Summit also has a lot of lakes (both residential and recreational). So it's a change of scenery from most suburbs in the KC area.

There is a new urbanism community in LS

Real Estate - 1 Homes For Sale | Zillow

300k won't get you much in the more affluent parts of LS like Lakewood, but if you want something newer, but not brand new with no trees, I would look at the areas west of 50 and south of 470

Lees Summit Real Estate - Lees Summit MO Homes For Sale | Zillow

Or along 3rd Street

Real Estate - 17 Homes For Sale | Zillow

North LS is pretty nice, but it might get to be a longer commute than you want. But this area has a lot of mature neighborhoods. Even the new homes tend to be built in areas with a lot of trees.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 PM

172 posts, read 152,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I would concentrate on Lee's Summit. You won't find very many "walkable" areas in suburban KC, at least walkable as in being able to walk to a grocery store (not sure how often people would do that anyway).

Lee's Summit is close to your work, on the Missouri side, affluent, new and yet it maintains its own identity and and has a great sense of place for a suburb. They have a very vibrant downtown area, but that area will have older housing stock.

If you want newer housing, go in any direction from Downtown Lee's Summit and you will find new homes or newer homes that would have more mature trees. Lee's Summit also has a lot of lakes (both residential and recreational). So it's a change of scenery from most suburbs in the KC area.

There is a new urbanism community in LS

Real Estate - 1 Homes For Sale | Zillow

300k won't get you much in the more affluent parts of LS like Lakewood, but if you want something newer, but not brand new with no trees, I would look at the areas west of 50 and south of 470

Or along 3rd Street

Real Estate - 17 Homes For Sale | Zillow

North LS is pretty nice, but it might get to be a longer commute than you want. But this area has a lot of mature neighborhoods. Even the new homes tend to be built in areas with a lot of trees.

For the real estate agents that frequent this forum, are there housing options similar to kcmo's first link in the KC metro aside from Lee's Summit? I like the style and layout and have not seen something like this except Union Hill.

Last edited by nycrite; 05-25-2016 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-25-2016, 07:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Another voice for Lee's Summit; it would probably fit your needs/wants the best. I used to live off Third Street near the old downtown area. More vintage than your spouse would like, but charming area (much of Lee's Summit's ever-expanding sprawly outskirts has plenty of new construction, though). I really liked it.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM

6,810 posts, read 11,474,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
For the real estate agents that frequent this forum, are there housing options similar to kcmo's first link in the KC metro aside from Lee's Summit? I like the style and layout and have not seen something like this except Union Hill.
There are three such areas all north of the river - in North Kansas City, Liberty and the Shoal creek area, however none of them would in the least be convenient to the area you are interested in.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:54 PM

98 posts, read 232,100 times
lees summit has excellent schools , belton and other mo suburbs less so .Have been in LS for 13 years, safe, clean, residential area

Old 05-26-2016, 06:51 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,450,179 times
It might be worth considering the Raymore-Peculiar area, as well. Good schools and good proximity to Belton. More affordable than Lee's Summit, if that matters.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 825 times
Have you already putchased a home? Waldo/Brookside has some excellent options if you want to be close to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City