U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:48 AM

28 posts, read 66,223 times

Advertisements

All,

I am a recently widowed man. My long lost love passed away as did my little son.

I am looking for a new start in life and I just accepted a position with a prestigious law firm in downtown. I have never been to Kansas City, MO before but I did search the forums. Downtown seems to be the best for single living. My start date is June 27th.

Is there a great apartment complex that someone can recommend? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom and 1 bath unit and $1500 max rent. Walkability should be high as I won't have a car until later.

Some of the apartments that I have come across that look great but had sketchy reviews are:

Power & Light Apartments
106 West 14th Street, Kansas City, MO 64105

River Market West
228 W. 4th St., Kansas City, MO 64105

51 Main
5050 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64112

My office address is on McGee street.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:05 AM

889 posts, read 1,428,099 times
"51 Main" is pretty far from downtown, about 40-45 blocks from the first two you listed. Public transportation is generally poor. This is a city for cars.

Both Power and Light luxury lofts and River Market West would be fine choices, though the prices would be pushing the $1,500/month limit you set.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM

80 posts, read 69,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
"51 Main" is pretty far from downtown, about 40-45 blocks from the first two you listed. Public transportation is generally poor. This is a city for cars.

Both Power and Light luxury lofts and River Market West would be fine choices, though the prices would be pushing the $1,500/month limit you set.
Actually, 51Main does have a somewhat frequent Max service that connects to downtown and is walking distance to the plaza. Also the whole foods (expected to open next year on 51 and Brookside) is extremely close by. This is not a bad choice really. Anything south of UMKC would be poorer in terms of public transit.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:14 AM

677 posts, read 1,145,583 times
I am really sorry to hear of your losses. I can't imagine what you are going through. Hopefully KC will provide you with the new start you are looking for.

First off, it seems that apartment reviews tend to be pretty negative across the board, as people who have bad experiences are much more likely to post online than those who are satisfied. So I would take those reviews with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
Actually, 51Main does have a somewhat frequent Max service that connects to downtown and is walking distance to the plaza. Also the whole foods (expected to open next year on 51 and Brookside) is extremely close by. This is not a bad choice really. Anything south of UMKC would be poorer in terms of public transit.
I agree with this. Even though 51 Main is not in Downtown, it is near the MAX line and probably a 25 minute bus ride away. The South Plaza area where it is located has pretty good walkability (will be even better when the Whole Foods opens) and the MAX Orange Line will take you to most of the key spots in the city.

I do think staying somewhere in Downtown (including River Market and Crossroads) near the streetcar line would be a good option. Downtown is still in somewhat of a nascent stage as a residential district and may lack some of the amenities of a more established neighborhood, but it is improving and growing by leaps and bounds.

Another option would be to live somewhere along the Main St MAX, between Downtown and South Plaza, such as the Westport area.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 3,137 times
Hi.

You dont say much about your age or likes, but P&L is a good walkable area catering to under 35's (young 40's) with good bars, restaurants, shops and some sights. Crossraods may also be a good area if you want to be a bit further away from the "center" of downtown.

Westport is an older part of town with irish bars and a lively vibe. It has some nice places but transport will be the bus.

The new streetcar is a great way to get downtown. There are a few rentals near union station that could work. Union station is a gorgeous building and has some green space too (if you are a runner).

Rivermarket is a great choice as it is probably walkable to McGee (but mcgee is a long street) and has a nice weekend and relaxed feel.

Good luck and welcome to our cool city!

Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
McGee? So you are probably near Crown Center, that's where most law offices on McGee are.

You might be able to get a sublease at the Western Auto condos which would be about a block over. Other than that, I would concentrate on the just about anything within walking distance of Main street so you can use the Streetcar and MAX buses. There are also plenty of buses running up and down Grand that would get you from the CBD to Crown Center, but most MAX and Streetcar are the only ones that would run all the way to River Market. Check out both the P&L Building (Historic renovation) and One Light (new tower in P&L District). There are many other nice towers in the area like 909 Walnut, Wallstreet Tower etc. Those would all be good since you won't have a car and would be close to a full service grocery store. Of course you also have properties in the River Market and Crossroads and can use the streetcar to access the downtown grocery store.

Bottom line is you can't really go wrong.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:19 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
51 Main is in a very walkable, if somewhat quiet neighborhood, with as good transit service as you can find in KC. It definitely leans more toward middle aged families than young professionals and DINKs, though. That said, as other have pointed out, it is a 5 minute walk to the Plaza, which remains KC's most vibrant activity node, though much of downtown is gaining ground.

I prefer the vibe of the west side midtown neighborhoods, Volker, Roanoke, Westport and West Plaza, but if I worked downtown, and wanted to live in a new multi-family dwelling, it's hard to beat Downtown, the Crossroads, River Market or the Plaza. Regrettably, I can't help with specific buildings, but I wouldn't bother looking anywhere outside those couple neighborhoods within a comfortable walk to Main Street.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM

481 posts, read 579,849 times
If you won't have a car for a while, then I would definitely stay between the River Market and Crown Center since that is where the streetcar currently runs. As kcmo stated, the Western Auto building would be a good option, I know one person that is trying to sub-lease, so if you want info, just shoot me a PM. One Light would be good, but it might be fully occupied. There are a lot of apartments/lofts in the River market and it's a good area to meet people since you will be new to the city. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:29 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I worked for a downtown law firm when I first moved to KC and lived on the Plaza. I did not have a car. If I could do it again, I'd have lived downtown. The hours made depending on the bus a PITA.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 66,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffa_in_KC View Post
Hi.

You dont say much about your age or likes, but P&L is a good walkable area catering to under 35's (young 40's) with good bars, restaurants, shops and some sights. Crossraods may also be a good area if you want to be a bit further away from the "center" of downtown.

Westport is an older part of town with irish bars and a lively vibe. It has some nice places but transport will be the bus.

The new streetcar is a great way to get downtown. There are a few rentals near union station that could work. Union station is a gorgeous building and has some green space too (if you are a runner).

Rivermarket is a great choice as it is probably walkable to McGee (but mcgee is a long street) and has a nice weekend and relaxed feel.

Good luck and welcome to our cool city!
Thanks. I'm 38 and I am moving into the Power and Lights apartments on 6/24. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or