U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2016, 06:15 PM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,166 posts, read 2,849,889 times
Reputation: 4381

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Burnt ends: I like true burnt ends, not the chunks of meat. I like the little burnt shreds of meat that were the original burnt ends. From what I understand, they were truly the leftovers so limited in amount. But people liked them so much so to meet demand, restaurants started "making" burnt ends from chunks of meat. I don't even order burnt ends anymore because I'm always disappointed that it's chunks of meat, not crispy shreds.


Zarda used to have crispy burnt ends; in fact, I think that's where I fell in love with them. Last time I got them there, though, they were chunks. I think the last place I had the kind of burnt ends I like was quite a few years ago at Corky's in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
You're right about that. Most of the burnt ends I've had end up tasting like chunks of pork tenderloin with a coating on the edge.

The burnt end on a bun sandwich at Gate's is very crispy. It's one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2016, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Reputation: 48613
Good call on true burnt ends. Cubed brisket does not = burnt ends. Real burnt ends are a delicacy that comesin limited amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Burnt ends: I like true burnt ends, not the chunks of meat. I like the little burnt shreds of meat that were the original burnt ends. From what I understand, they were truly the leftovers so limited in amount. But people liked them so much so to meet demand, restaurants started "making" burnt ends from chunks of meat. I don't even order burnt ends anymore because I'm always disappointed that it's chunks of meat, not crispy shreds.


Zarda used to have crispy burnt ends; in fact, I think that's where I fell in love with them. Last time I got them there, though, they were chunks. I think the last place I had the kind of burnt ends I like was quite a few years ago at Corky's in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
I have noticed this too when in KC. They have gotten so popular that they have become a victim of their own success. The best place in KC for burnt ends seems to be Gates. They run out of them during lunch and dinner hours because they don't just cut up some beef when they have no more burnt ends left. There is a really good place in Annapolis that is run by a former KC guy and they offer burnt ends only to "vip" people. You have to ask for them as they are not on the menu. There is no way a place can sell tons of real burnt ends.

There is a place I saw last time in KC called Burnt End BBQ. I saw it out at 119th and Metcalf. Didn't try it, but wonder if they are any good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 07:17 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Reputation: 14105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have noticed this too when in KC. They have gotten so popular that they have become a victim of their own success. The best place in KC for burnt ends seems to be Gates. They run out of them during lunch and dinner hours because they don't just cut up some beef when they have no more burnt ends left. There is a really good place in Annapolis that is run by a former KC guy and they offer burnt ends only to "vip" people. You have to ask for them as they are not on the menu. There is no way a place can sell tons of real burnt ends.

There is a place I saw last time in KC called Burnt End BBQ. I saw it out at 119th and Metcalf. Didn't try it, but wonder if they are any good.
I tried Burnt End BBQ. It was okay, but I wouldn't say it is anything special. Kind of expensive for what you get. I didn't try burnt ends, though.


I will try Gates for burnt ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 10:15 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Reputation: 14105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
You're right about that. Most of the burnt ends I've had end up tasting like chunks of pork tenderloin with a coating on the edge.

The burnt end on a bun sandwich at Gate's is very crispy. It's one of my favorites.
I haven't eaten at Gates in many years, but I'm going to try their burnt ends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 07:59 AM
 
4 posts, read 2,118 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I haven't eaten at Gates in many years, but I'm going to try their burnt ends!
I recommend getting a side of Gate's spicy cole slaw on the side and layering a healthy amount the length of the burnt end sandwich.

RE: "true" burnt ends - I agree with the above comments. I believe K&M in Spg Hill (previously mentioned) only offers burnt ends one day a week because their burnt ends aren't available until they've created orders using their cuts of meet throughout the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 04:37 PM
 
4,942 posts, read 2,567,230 times
Reputation: 21961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Arthur Bryant's: The brisket is the juiciest in town. Food can be a hit or miss depending on day and time.
I must have gotten it on a miss day. Over-rated. I finally get to Kansas City, finally get to Arthur's--quite disappointed with the food, even more so the Customer Service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Reputation: 48613
Arthur Bryant's used to be my hands down fave (still my fave sauce), but the food has become markedly less consistent in the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I must have gotten it on a miss day. Over-rated. I finally get to Kansas City, finally get to Arthur's--quite disappointed with the food, even more so the Customer Service.
Who told you to go to Arthur Bryant's for the Customer Service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Kansas City North
3,626 posts, read 6,764,696 times
Reputation: 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Who told you to go to Arthur Bryant's for the Customer Service?
If someone wants BBQ with customer service, try Gates' "Hi can I help you please?" As for myself, the food is way more important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top