Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:28 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,142,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Although it's generally true that Blue Valley schools are the best in the metro, right now all Kansas public schools are suspect, due to the state budget. I'm not saying DON'T put your daughter in a Kansas public school, but make sure you're up to date on the situation.

Kansas GOP Lawmakers Advance Plan to Avert School Closings - ABC News
I would put my kid in a Johnson County school over any school on the Missouri side. Most of this is just political crap and Johnson County schools are going to be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,301,023 times
Political crap unfortunately affects state budgets, which absolutely affect legislation that pertains to public education.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Political crap unfortunately affects state budgets, which absolutely affect legislation that pertains to public education.
Well, the political crap has been going on since Joan Finney replaced Bob Dole as governor. They were discussing the same stuff they are discussing now. The fact that there are high population, extremely wealthy areas in Kansas and also low population, extremely poor areas in Kansas poses a challenge. But I don't think even the idiots in charge are going to let the Kansas public school districts, especially the ones that have been rated among the highest in the nation for decades, go down the tubes.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:38 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,445,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, the political crap has been going on since Joan Finney replaced Bob Dole as governor. They were discussing the same stuff they are discussing now. The fact that there are high population, extremely wealthy areas in Kansas and also low population, extremely poor areas in Kansas poses a challenge. But I don't think even the idiots in charge are going to let the Kansas public school districts, especially the ones that have been rated among the highest in the nation for decades, go down the tubes.
I think we can all agree that there's political crap. The question is not whether there's political crap, or even whose fault it is. The question is how bad will it hurt.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion (as always) about how the Johnson County schools will be fine. But honestly, what are you basing that on? Without providing any context, it just looks like naive optimism. I don't imagine the OP knows the first thing about Kansas politics, or about the two-state situation in the KC metro. Why not give him a little more to go on than simply "we'll be fine"?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I think we can all agree that there's political crap. The question is not whether there's political crap, or even whose fault it is. The question is how bad will it hurt.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion (as always) about how the Johnson County schools will be fine. But honestly, what are you basing that on? Without providing any context, it just looks like naive optimism. I don't imagine the OP knows the first thing about Kansas politics, or about the two-state situation in the KC metro. Why not give him a little more to go on than simply "we'll be fine"?
As if Missouri schools are going to be better? KC school district lost their accreditation. Some of the other districts are okay, but they aren't better than Blue Valley. The OP is going to be working at Sprint. Blue Valley is a GREAT school district. I think it's ridiculous for some of you Missouri boosters to try to scare him into looking on the Missouri side when Blue Valley is just fine and will be for the foreseeable future, Missouri schools are no better and in fact many are nowhere near as good, and he will be working in the Blue Valley district. It makes no sense for you guys to get on here and post things to try to scare him away from Blue Valley.

OP, do yourself a favor and check out the Blue Valley School District. Talk to parents, administrators, etc. Blue Valley School District is just fine.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,725,398 times
^ and KCI airport is "fine" too, even with a plethora of facts showing it's not fine.

I know a lot of teachers in the KC metro area in both KS and MO. Trust me. The situation in Kansas is not fine and right now, teachers prefer the MO side and it won't be long before things catch up to the public. Then again, I have been saying that for years about the public figuring out that KS corporate welfare is out of control and even today with the state broke, few have a clue. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

OP should do their own research. There is PLENTY of it out there on what Kansas has done to itself. The state really had little going for it other than public schools in Johnson County which drive people to the one county in the state that props the entire state up, so I seriously doubt they would mess that up too much. But Kansas does a lot of things that just don't make sense.

Having said that, I would think they will be fine in JoCo schools. Just look for some tax increases, probably local to JoCo only or something to try to keep JoCo isolated from the rest of the state. The problem with that is the rest of the state's districts will fight such a plan unless JoCo also helps them out as well.

Maybe Kansas should start STAR bonding to fund schools instead of financing retail centers that the population can't even support.

For the record, most School districts in the MO side suburbs are just as good as the JoCo suburbs. There are more actually because the MO side has more than one county people want to live in. If you want to bring up KCMO urban schools, then at least bring up KCK, Topeka, Wichita etc as well.

Last edited by kcmo; 06-27-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ and KCI airport is "fine" too, even with a plethora of facts showing it's not fine.

I know a lot of teachers in the KC metro area in both KS and MO. Trust me. The situation in Kansas is not fine and right now, teachers prefer the MO side and it won't be long before things catch up to the public. Then again, I have been saying that for years about the public figuring out that KS corporate welfare is out of control and even today with the state broke, few have a clue. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

OP should do their own research. There is PLENTY of it out there on what Kansas has done to itself. The state really had little going for it other than public schools in Johnson County which drive people to the one county in the state that props the entire state up, so I seriously doubt they would mess that up too much. But Kansas does a lot of things that just don't make sense.

Having said that, I would think they will be fine in JoCo schools. Just look for some tax increases, probably local to JoCo only or something to try to keep JoCo isolated from the rest of the state. The problem with that is the rest of the state's districts will fight such a plan unless JoCo also helps them out as well.

Maybe Kansas should start STAR bonding to fund schools instead of financing retail centers that the population can't even support.

For the record, most School districts in the MO side suburbs are just as good as the JoCo suburbs. There are more actually because the MO side has more than one county people want to live in. If you want to bring up KCMO urban schools, then at least bring up KCK, Topeka, Wichita etc as well.
No, I don't "trust" you, because you are very biased. I know teachers too, who work in Kansas, and wouldn't CONSIDER working for a school district on the Missouri side.

The OP isn't asking about living in KCK, Topeka or Wichita. He is asking about schools for his daughter with him working at Sprint. So why would I bring up KCK, Topeka or Wichita? Or any schools on the Missouri side? I wouldn't and I didn't.

The OP came here and said he was working at Sprint and asked about Kansas schools. You guys are ridiculous. When he gets here he can check it out for himself, but he'll be doing himself a disservice if he listens to advice like yours.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 PM

172 posts, read 152,317 times
OP, the bottom line is this. You're going to work near or at Sprint. Live near work. Pick the Blue Valley or Shawnee Mission district. Both will keep you close to work with good schools. Missouri's good public schools would only increase your commute time. Both sides of state line are fine, but your situation better fits the aforementioned districts. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,126,687 times
Yeah I have to go with JoCo on this one. Live close to work, spend less time commuting and more time with your kids. That's just as important as good schools and you're in the fortunate situation where you can have both.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 AM

936 posts, read 811,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Most of this is just political crap and Johnson County schools are going to be just fine.

You should say that to the teachers in Kansas. Most of them are fleeing to the Missouri side because they don't have much faith in the numbskulls in Topeka.

My sister is the administrator of a school district on the Missouri said. Her district is being flooded with resumes from Kansas teachers who want to escape from Sam Brownback's nightmare. She jokes: "They ought to build a wall on the Missouri/Kansas border to keep the illegals out."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City