U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:22 AM

204 posts, read 182,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
OP, the bottom line is this. You're going to work near or at Sprint. Live near work. Pick the Blue Valley or Shawnee Mission district. Both will keep you close to work with good schools. Missouri's good public schools would only increase your commute time. Both sides of state line are fine, but your situation better fits the aforementioned districts. Good luck!

Unless they don't open this school year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
OP, the bottom line is this. You're going to work near or at Sprint. Live near work. Pick the Blue Valley or Shawnee Mission district. Both will keep you close to work with good schools. Missouri's good public schools would only increase your commute time. Both sides of state line are fine, but your situation better fits the aforementioned districts. Good luck!
I would have agreed with this wholeheartedly two years ago (my record on C-D bears this out) because the advice fits the OP perfectly. Maybe two years from now I'll agree with it again.

But it's flat-out irresponsible to gloss over the current funding crisis going on over Kansas public schools. I know Kansas-boosters think we Missouri-folk have all the bias. But how biased is it when you don't even want the OP to think about the fiscal catastrophe that is making national headlines?

Nobody here is actually telling the OP not to consider Kansas schools. Just "buyer beware". That's it.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, I don't "trust" you, because you are very biased. I know teachers too, who work in Kansas, and wouldn't CONSIDER working for a school district on the Missouri side.

The OP isn't asking about living in KCK, Topeka or Wichita. He is asking about schools for his daughter with him working at Sprint. So why would I bring up KCK, Topeka or Wichita? Or any schools on the Missouri side? I wouldn't and I didn't.

The OP came here and said he was working at Sprint and asked about Kansas schools. You guys are ridiculous. When he gets here he can check it out for himself, but he'll be doing himself a disservice if he listens to advice like yours.
The only reason I commented on this thread was because you mentioned the unaccredited KCMO schools, which have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Even if the OP did widen their area of options to more of the metro, they would be looking at the good suburban districts on the MO side, not the central city schools and if they were, wouldnít KCK be in the conversation too? And you saying that fiscal situation in Kansas is ďfineĒ is completely false. Kansas is a real mess right now and anybody with a brain can figure that out real fast with about ten minutes on google. Iím starting to wonder if people that actually read the paper in other cities know more about the mess that Kansas is in than those that actually live there. Itís been all over the national press.

I did not even say that the OP should avoid Kansas. I just mentioned that the MO side has just as good, and probably more, high quality suburban districts than Kansas after you said you would never send your kids there and the schools are un-accredited. Thatís fine, but the MO side has great public schools and they are not in a funding disaster like Kansas districts are. A good portion of my wifeís family and friends are in public education. Kansas does not have a good reputation among regional teachers and I have heard many times ďat least we are not in KansasĒ from MO teachers when they do complain about stuff. A few districts in JoCo used to be as well regarded by teachers, but since Brownback, thatís not the case. Everybody wants to be in the KCMO mo side suburbs right now and itís VERY difficult to get a job in a good district like Leeís Summit, NKC, Liberty, Park Hill, Blue Springs etc. You have to know somebody. Itís been that way for a while now. Iím sure the JoCo schools are still fine, but the state has really been cutting at their funding and something will eventually give.

If you are working near Sprint, I would try very hard to live near there. However, anybody moving to the KC area would be doing themselves a great injustice by not researching what Topeka is doing to Kansas and what the future may hold. Just be prepared because the state of Kansas is not ďfineĒ. If schools are important, you might at least think about options to living in Kansas and weigh the potential long term risks. As others have said, Kansas will probably not let their primary countyís schools suffer too much. But then again, KU is also their baby and KU funding it getting slashed too.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
One option I haven't heard mentioned yet is private or Catholic schools. The OP could live near Sprint (on either side of the state line) and have good access to a number of private schools. Yes, it's expensive, but if the OP is interested in "rigor" as he claims, it might be wise to consider private.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:24 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I would have agreed with this wholeheartedly two years ago (my record on C-D bears this out) because the advice fits the OP perfectly. Maybe two years from now I'll agree with it again.

But it's flat-out irresponsible to gloss over the current funding crisis going on over Kansas public schools. I know Kansas-boosters think we Missouri-folk have all the bias. But how biased is it when you don't even want the OP to think about the fiscal catastrophe that is making national headlines?

Nobody here is actually telling the OP not to consider Kansas schools. Just "buyer beware". That's it.
I'm not a "Missouri folk." I live in Kansas. I've also been an educator for years. And the climate in Kansas right now is toxic to educators. Absolutely toxic. A big reason I've switched fields.

Hopefully, Kansans will get their act together before they completely sacrifice all hope of quality public ed with their political choices, but, gotta tell ya, given voting records, I'm pretty skeptical.

I agree that, when Kansas' fiscal woes are well-documented, it's laughable to sit on the sidelines and put your fingers in your ears and say, "Lalalalanotlisteninglalalalala." Let's be honest.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:25 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
One option I haven't heard mentioned yet is private or Catholic schools. The OP could live near Sprint (on either side of the state line) and have good access to a number of private schools. Yes, it's expensive, but if the OP is interested in "rigor" as he claims, it might be wise to consider private.
They've been mentioned.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:36 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
You should say that to the teachers in Kansas. Most of them are fleeing to the Missouri side because they don't have much faith in the numbskulls in Topeka.

My sister is the administrator of a school district on the Missouri said. Her district is being flooded with resumes from Kansas teachers who want to escape from Sam Brownback's nightmare. She jokes: "They ought to build a wall on the Missouri/Kansas border to keep the illegals out."
No they are not fleeing to the Missouri side. I know teachers in Kansas, none of whom desire to work on the Missouri side.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,145,372 times
Applications for Missouri public teacher positions from applicants with a Kansas address have more than doubled since the tax cuts were enacted in 2011. And that number will almost certainly climb even more with this legislative session's destabilizing fiasco.

You need to learn the difference between anecdotal evidence and data.

The longer you ignore the education crisis in Kansas, because you want to be "right" on the internet, the worse it will get.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education...exodus/398609/

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/09/421528...ss-state-lines

Old 06-28-2016, 01:41 PM

9,084 posts, read 3,701,709 times
not sure if anyone mentioned it, don't even know how it will be setup/ran but the nkc innovation center seems pretty good once it is built, and I'm biased towards nkc for the IB program... since it is an international thing, standards are set by the ibo and not the school district, well not entirely. So the programs are pretty similar regardless of district.

Last edited by MLSFan; 06-28-2016 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 06:22 PM

519 posts, read 467,990 times
If a traditional nuclear family with children moves to the KC metro area, then the Kansas (Johnson County) side is where to go. You'll be around people who probably value the same as you and the schools are great. If you're single, or non traditional in any sense of the word, then the Missouri side would probably fit you best. My brother and his family moved back here from Minneapolis and settled in the Liberty school district, he works up north, so wanted to be up North. I tried and tried to convince him, because he had children, to move to JO County Kansas. They didn't and he's not happy with what the school district teach and is considering putting them into private schools at considerable cost. Bro and sis in law regret not having moved to some place like OP KS for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or