U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:56 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,779,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
If a traditional nuclear family with children moves to the KC metro area, then the Kansas (Johnson County) side is where to go. You'll be around people who probably value the same as you and the schools are great. If you're single, or non traditional in any sense of the word, then the Missouri side would probably fit you best. My brother and his family moved back here from Minneapolis and settled in the Liberty school district, he works up north, so wanted to be up North. I tried and tried to convince him, because he had children, to move to JO County Kansas. They didn't and he's not happy with what the school district teach and is considering putting them into private schools at considerable cost. Bro and sis in law regret not having moved to some place like OP KS for the schools.
No, I don't think so. That implies people on the MO don't have traditional values. I can see your argument for maybe a family choosing to live in Brookside or Waldo and sending their kids to private school, but places like Lee's Summit and Parkville have the same types of families and values as in JoCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
If a traditional nuclear family with children moves to the KC metro area, then the Kansas (Johnson County) side is where to go. You'll be around people who probably value the same as you and the schools are great. If you're single, or non traditional in any sense of the word, then the Missouri side would probably fit you best. My brother and his family moved back here from Minneapolis and settled in the Liberty school district, he works up north, so wanted to be up North. I tried and tried to convince him, because he had children, to move to JO County Kansas. They didn't and he's not happy with what the school district teach and is considering putting them into private schools at considerable cost. Bro and sis in law regret not having moved to some place like OP KS for the schools.
This says it all. Like I said, the OP will be doing himself a disservice not to check out Blue Valley School District. It's a great school district and is in the area where he will be working. It makes no sense to go anywhere else and the scare tactics are just that.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:08 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous post.

You are saying that all the people that live in all the suburban areas of the MO side don't value good public schools for their children?

While I agree with you that the MO side offers a lot more for singles, empty nesters or simply people wanting a more urban lifestyle, the rest of your post is totally ridiculous. I don't think there is much difference between families that live in Overland Park, Lenexa etc vs Lee's Summit, Liberty etc.

Anybody can have issues with teachers or school districts no matter how well the district is rated. You can still get a bad teacher or just a teacher you don't get along with. You may disagree with some new implemented program the district is doing, or get upset about them changing the boundaries of a school. But to say that an entire district is bad and to push people to JoCo because that's the only area where people care about schools has to be one the most insulting things I have ever heard. modcut-not needed

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-29-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What a ridiculous post.

You are saying that all the people that live in all the suburban areas of the MO side don't value good public schools for their children?

While I agree with you that the MO side offers a lot more for singles, empty nesters or simply people wanting a more urban lifestyle, the rest of your post is totally ridiculous. I don't think there is much difference between families that live in Overland Park, Lenexa etc vs Lee's Summit, Liberty etc.

Anybody can have issues with teachers or school districts no matter how well the district is rated. You can still get a bad teacher or just a teacher you don't get along with. You may still disagree with some new implemented program the district is doing, or get upset about them changing the boundaries of a school. But to say that an entire district is bad and to push people to JoCo because that's the only area where people care about schools has to be one the most insulting things I have ever heard.
A lot of you seem to be forgetting that the OP specifically asked about KANSAS schools and said he is working at Sprint. Blue Valley is the obvious choice and is an excellent school district and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-29-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
It makes all the sense in the world for somebody working at Sprint to live in the BV district, and suggesting that it doesn't is pure idiocy.

Likewise, not staying informed regarding the political sh*st how that is continually unfolding in Kansas, and denying its future ramifications, barring a major (and highly unlikely) turnaround, on public education funding is also pure idiocy.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
A lot of you seem to be forgetting that the OP specifically asked about KANSAS schools and said he is working at Sprint. Blue Valley is the obvious choice and is an excellent school district and that isn't going to change anytime soon.
Has ANYBODY said run away from Kansas and don't look back? I don't think so. Looks to me like EVERYBODY has simply said.....JoCo schools are good and probably the best choice for you, however, you might educate yourself on what's going on in Kansas before you make a final decision.....

That's it. You then come on and start with your standard backhanded insults, mentioning the un-accredited urban schools, making sure the OP knows that you would die before ever sending your kids to Missouri schools etc. Even basically agreeing that suburban Missouri families are lesser than Johnson County families because they don't hold the same family values. All while your head is deep in the sand about all the very real issues that Kansas has right now.

It's a trend. The Kansas forum is nothing but Kansans with their heads in the sand. No wonder the state is in the shape it's in.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo
The Kansas forum is nothing but Kansans with their heads in the sand.
Nah.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nah.
I don't read a lot of the threads in full, but all there is are threads about how messed up things are in Kansas and a few posters constantly trying to justify it all. You can't justify much of anything Kansas does politically or fiscally, but obviously enough people do or just too many people don't care.

If they did, people would be louder about it. So long as people keep seeing new strip malls open in Johnson County, everything is just "fine" there...

Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 PM

Did a quick search and found a thread where people ask about where to live for families where people that actually live in all areas of KC responded.

Where to live near Kansas City? - The Bump

Pretty much everybody is happy where they live and recommend all the various suburbs around KC on both sides of the state line.

I'm sure the MO side people probably have much lower values though so you must take that into account.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,779,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
This says it all. Like I said, the OP will be doing himself a disservice not to check out Blue Valley School District. It's a great school district and is in the area where he will be working. It makes no sense to go anywhere else and the scare tactics are just that.
I totally agree that JoCo is the best choice due to the proximity and quality schools but it's not about having "different values". That's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or