U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 PM

7,661 posts, read 5,643,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhpbh View Post
Are schools in Kansas as good as Cupertino/Menlo Park schools in California? We are planning to move to Kansas from California.
TIA
The two posters below offer the best advice in the thread.

As to your original question, I found this site and it may be helpful.

Fremont Union High School District in Sunnyvale, CA | GreatSchools

School and District Boundaries Map | GreatSchools

Cupertino schools are outstanding - particularly when compared to many/most others in California. Blue Valley schools in Overland Park are also outstanding and are going to be the most comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Kansas is fine and I would say Johnson County is more comparable to Cupertino than anything on the Missouri side. And the schools are great. Don't listen to the naysayers. Some on this forum try to push the Missouri side. You specifically said KANSAS. The Kansas side is better, in my opinion. PM me if you like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
If a traditional nuclear family with children moves to the KC metro area, then the Kansas (Johnson County) side is where to go. You'll be around people who probably value the same as you and the schools are great. If you're single, or non traditional in any sense of the word, then the Missouri side would probably fit you best. My brother and his family moved back here from Minneapolis and settled in the Liberty school district, he works up north, so wanted to be up North. I tried and tried to convince him, because he had children, to move to JO County Kansas. They didn't and he's not happy with what the school district teach and is considering putting them into private schools at considerable cost. Bro and sis in law regret not having moved to some place like OP KS for the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 PM

172 posts, read 98,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I would have agreed with this wholeheartedly two years ago (my record on C-D bears this out) because the advice fits the OP perfectly. Maybe two years from now I'll agree with it again.

But it's flat-out irresponsible to gloss over the current funding crisis going on over Kansas public schools. I know Kansas-boosters think we Missouri-folk have all the bias. But how biased is it when you don't even want the OP to think about the fiscal catastrophe that is making national headlines?

Nobody here is actually telling the OP not to consider Kansas schools. Just "buyer beware". That's it.
Point taken! I doubt JoCo schools shut down even though KS is failing hard at managing a budget. Yes, the OP should be aware of KS budgetary risks and the impact on schools. No, I don't see enough risk to justify lengthening a commute by living in the MO suburbs.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,764,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What a ridiculous post.

You are saying that all the people that live in all the suburban areas of the MO side don't value good public schools for their children?

While I agree with you that the MO side offers a lot more for singles, empty nesters or simply people wanting a more urban lifestyle, the rest of your post is totally ridiculous. I don't think there is much difference between families that live in Overland Park, Lenexa etc vs Lee's Summit, Liberty etc.

Anybody can have issues with teachers or school districts no matter how well the district is rated. You can still get a bad teacher or just a teacher you don't get along with. You may disagree with some new implemented program the district is doing, or get upset about them changing the boundaries of a school. But to say that an entire district is bad and to push people to JoCo because that's the only area where people care about schools has to be one the most insulting things I have ever heard. I could see luz posting that or one of her buddies, but very few people think what you just posted, even most people in the most affluent parts of JoCo are not that arrogant, ignorant and self centered.
Thank you.
I think in the case of this OP, Johnson County is probably a good choice. But for a family moving to KC where they might be working downtown or therabouts, the condition of the State of Kansas' finances and its effects on schools should definitely be explored before deciding where to live.

I wonder if some of the pro-Kansas people have ever ventured in Missouri away from the Plaza, KCI or the sports complex. I know it's hard to believe, but there are suburban-like areas in Missouri. They even look a lot like JoCo.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
A lot of you seem to be forgetting that the OP specifically asked about KANSAS schools and said he is working at Sprint. Blue Valley is the obvious choice and is an excellent school district and that isn't going to change anytime soon.
No one is forgetting this. He asked about schools in Kansas, and he's gotten lots of answers about schools in Kansas.

But once that's out there, why is it a crime to mention, hey, the Sprint campus is just 3 miles from a state line, so you might want to look at what's on the other side of that line as well?

Also, hey, take a cursory glance at current events, and don't make your life choices based on people saying "It's fine! It's fine!"

Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM

1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
If a traditional nuclear family with children moves to the KC metro area, then the Kansas (Johnson County) side is where to go. You'll be around people who probably value the same as you and the schools are great. If you're single, or non traditional in any sense of the word, then the Missouri side would probably fit you best. My brother and his family moved back here from Minneapolis and settled in the Liberty school district, he works up north, so wanted to be up North. I tried and tried to convince him, because he had children, to move to JO County Kansas. They didn't and he's not happy with what the school district teach and is considering putting them into private schools at considerable cost. Bro and sis in law regret not having moved to some place like OP KS for the schools.
"Friends, for just $1 per day you can send a box of traditional family values to a Missouri child. These are neglected, unloved and poorly-educated suburbanites who have done nothing to deserve their fate, except to have parents who decided to move to Missouri instead of Kansas. Parents who, no doubt, would change their minds and move to Kansas if only we had jobs for them, or a governor who is smart.

Please, call today. You may not be able to change the whole world. But your gift can make a world of difference for one poor, upper-middle-class Missouri child."

Old 06-29-2016, 12:52 PM

402 posts, read 300,573 times
Is the Bible still a required text book in Kansas schools?

I will never forgive my parents. All they had to do to show they loved me and cared about me was move to JO County and they chose to stay in Missouri.

I went on and got a college degree and have a great career despite thier attempts to sabotage my future by remaining in such a place where people have no values.

If only we could have afforded to live on JO County. Even though both my parents made six figs and their home is worth 600k.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:13 PM

12,608 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Is the Bible still a required text book in Kansas schools?

I will never forgive my parents. All they had to do to show they loved me and cared about me was move to JO County and they chose to stay in Missouri.

I went on and got a college degree and have a great career despite thier attempts to sabotage my future by remaining in such a place where people have no values.

If only we could have afforded to live on JO County. Even though both my parents made six figs and their home is worth 600k.
Maybe if you'd had a Johnson County education, you would know how to spell "their."

It's interesting to me that a lot - I would say MOST - doctors in Kansas City live in Johnson County and a whole lot of them have their kids in Shawnee Mission (particularly Shawnee Mission East) or Blue Valley high schools, though they could well afford private schools.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:19 PM

12,608 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Thank you.
I think in the case of this OP, Johnson County is probably a good choice. But for a family moving to KC where they might be working downtown or therabouts, the condition of the State of Kansas' finances and its effects on schools should definitely be explored before deciding where to live.

I wonder if some of the pro-Kansas people have ever ventured in Missouri away from the Plaza, KCI or the sports complex. I know it's hard to believe, but there are suburban-like areas in Missouri. They even look a lot like JoCo.
Why yes, I have ventured away from the Plaza, KCI and the sports complex. I did some of my growing up in Clay and Platte and Jackson County, and then we moved to Johnson County. My ancestors are from the Ozarks and I've spent a lot of time between Springfield and Branson. I have friends who live in Liberty, Lee's Summit, Independence, Raytown, Gladstone, Parkville and beyond. I still say that the OP, working at Sprint, can't go wrong with Blue Valley schools.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:10 PM

290 posts, read 230,277 times
Quote:
"Friends, for just $1 per day you can send a box of traditional family values to a Missouri child. These are neglected, unloved and poorly-educated suburbanites who have done nothing to deserve their fate, except to have parents who decided to move to Missouri instead of Kansas. Parents who, no doubt, would change their minds and move to Kansas if only we had jobs for them, or a governor who is smart.

Please, call today. You may not be able to change the whole world. But your gift can make a world of difference for one poor, upper-middle-class Missouri child."
I like where you're going with this...

Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:

I would love to help one of those poor children in Lee's Summit or Shoal Creek or Parkville. Just tell me where to send the money. We can't keep letting this happen. If we all do a little, we all do a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or