U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:10 PM

5,476 posts, read 5,785,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I would love to help one of those poor children in Lee's Summit or Shoal Creek or Parkville. Just tell me where to send the money. We can't keep letting this happen. If we all do a little, we all do a lot!
We are really suffering over here in the third world... Any and all help is much appreciated. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 AM

20,176 posts, read 34,515,073 times
"The special session is over and a brokered solution has been signed into law, but the new wrinkles of the education funding debate in Kansas are still setting in for area school districts.

The majority of Johnson County’s school districts lose state aid under the bill, which Gov. Sam Brownback signed into law this week. Blue Valley is estimated to lose about $2.4 million, while Shawnee Mission would be down about $1.44 million, according to the state’s legislative research department.

The loss of state money could be offset in some districts by raising property taxes through a mill levy increase. It’s unclear if residents will see an increase in their taxes, but it would probably be small in districts like Blue Valley.

Russell Knapp, the Shawnee Mission school district’s chief financial officer, cautioned that the numbers being discussed in Topeka last week were estimates. But he expects that his district will be able to cover the cut. An increase in property taxes by raising the mill levy is possible, Knapp said, but the district’s school board would have to approve that later this summer.

“It’s just a different pot of money,” he said. “It would come from the local taxes versus state aid.”

Blue Valley will have a decision to make on how the district will make up its gap, deputy superintendent Mike Slagle said. It’s late in the game for budget cuts, he said, and the decision could be made to use property taxes, or reserves, to fill in the cut from the Kansas Legislature.

“We recognize this is a one-year fix,” Slagle said. “Certainly if this were a 10-year plan where we would be losing this every year, we’d have a problem with that. But I think for a short term, our board of education is going to have some options to address what’s happened.”

Kansas schools avoided the Legislature’s first proposal last week that would have cut 0.5 percent from every school district in the state in an attempt to satisfy the Kansas Supreme Court and equalize funding. The second proposal, which overwhelmingly passed both the House and Senate, gives $38 million to poorer school districts in Kansas and cuts state aid to others like Blue Valley, Shawnee Mission and Olathe.

Olathe is estimated to lose about $648,000 in local option state aid. The district could raise property taxes to make up the difference in state aid, though that’s not the only option, said John Hutchison, the chief financial officer for the Olathe district."

Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 AM

1,298 posts, read 985,135 times
^Source?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:28 AM

20,176 posts, read 34,515,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
^Source?
KCStar today:
http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...e86641672.html

Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,149,330 times
I met a teacher last night from Olathe, he didn't say anything about that, so it must be wrong. He said he loved working with children, so everything must be okay.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:28 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Thank you.
I think in the case of this OP, Johnson County is probably a good choice. But for a family moving to KC where they might be working downtown or therabouts, the condition of the State of Kansas' finances and its effects on schools should definitely be explored before deciding where to live.

I wonder if some of the pro-Kansas people have ever ventured in Missouri away from the Plaza, KCI or the sports complex. I know it's hard to believe, but there are suburban-like areas in Missouri. They even look a lot like JoCo.
I've lived on both sides of the state line, including both urban KC and suburban MO. That's exactly why, as much as I love where I live in NE JoCo, I'm not and will never be a "Johnson County is paradise and anywhere else is bush league" poster. It's nonsense.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,516,721 times
JoCo people...

What they know of outside of JoCo is what they can see from 435 or whatever is very near the stadiums, plaza, zoo and worlds of fun.

Northland = farms and factories.
East loop of 435 / stadiums = ghetto

The MO side in general is pretty limited to the Plaza, maybe brookside and parts of downtown (but only for those that work downtown) plus the area around the stadiums. And most people in JoCo even claim the nicer parts of KCMO as part of Kansas because the MO side just does not exist in their minds.

There is one school district that serves the entire MO ide of the metro and it's not accredited.

Everything else does not exist and if it does it's stereotyped as urban ghetto or suburban ghetto full of meth houses and dollar stores.

Nothing like Lenexa or Shawnee could possibly exist on the MO side of KC.

From all the people I have interacted with from JoCo over many years, this is a very true story for a great deal of people from the county. What's so funny about this is that JoCo not even that great. They think it's similar to the upscale counties around big coastal cities. Trust me. It's not. Other than having good demographics on paper, the county could not be more average when driving around it. Not impressive at all ,especially when compared to very affluent build up counties around DC, LA, NY, Chicago, Seattle etc. It's just another midwestern burb with lots of grass everywhere .

Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM

12,615 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
JoCo people...

What they know of outside of JoCo is what they can see from 435 or whatever is very near the stadiums, plaza, zoo and worlds of fun.

Northland = farms and factories.
East loop of 435 / stadiums = ghetto

The MO side in general is pretty limited to the Plaza, maybe brookside and parts of downtown (but only for those that work downtown) plus the area around the stadiums. And most people in JoCo even claim the nicer parts of KCMO as part of Kansas because the MO side just does not exist in their minds.

There is one school district that serves the entire MO ide of the metro and it's not accredited.

Everything else does not exist and if it does it's stereotyped as urban ghetto or suburban ghetto full of meth houses and dollar stores.

Nothing like Lenexa or Shawnee could possibly exist on the MO side of KC.

From all the people I have interacted with from JoCo over many years, this is a very true story for a great deal of people from the county. What's so funny about this is that JoCo not even that great. They think it's similar to the upscale counties around big coastal cities. Trust me. It's not. Other than having good demographics on paper, the county could not be more average when driving around it. Not impressive at all ,especially when compared to very affluent build up counties around DC, LA, NY, Chicago, Seattle etc. It's just another midwestern burb with lots of grass everywhere .
Way to stereotype.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:16 PM

12,615 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"The special session is over and a brokered solution has been signed into law, but the new wrinkles of the education funding debate in Kansas are still setting in for area school districts.

The majority of Johnson County’s school districts lose state aid under the bill, which Gov. Sam Brownback signed into law this week. Blue Valley is estimated to lose about $2.4 million, while Shawnee Mission would be down about $1.44 million, according to the state’s legislative research department.

The loss of state money could be offset in some districts by raising property taxes through a mill levy increase. It’s unclear if residents will see an increase in their taxes, but it would probably be small in districts like Blue Valley.

Russell Knapp, the Shawnee Mission school district’s chief financial officer, cautioned that the numbers being discussed in Topeka last week were estimates. But he expects that his district will be able to cover the cut. An increase in property taxes by raising the mill levy is possible, Knapp said, but the district’s school board would have to approve that later this summer.

“It’s just a different pot of money,” he said. “It would come from the local taxes versus state aid.”

Blue Valley will have a decision to make on how the district will make up its gap, deputy superintendent Mike Slagle said. It’s late in the game for budget cuts, he said, and the decision could be made to use property taxes, or reserves, to fill in the cut from the Kansas Legislature.

“We recognize this is a one-year fix,” Slagle said. “Certainly if this were a 10-year plan where we would be losing this every year, we’d have a problem with that. But I think for a short term, our board of education is going to have some options to address what’s happened.”

Kansas schools avoided the Legislature’s first proposal last week that would have cut 0.5 percent from every school district in the state in an attempt to satisfy the Kansas Supreme Court and equalize funding. The second proposal, which overwhelmingly passed both the House and Senate, gives $38 million to poorer school districts in Kansas and cuts state aid to others like Blue Valley, Shawnee Mission and Olathe.

Olathe is estimated to lose about $648,000 in local option state aid. The district could raise property taxes to make up the difference in state aid, though that’s not the only option, said John Hutchison, the chief financial officer for the Olathe district."
Johnson County has always been willing to fill in the gap with private funds for their schools. In the 90s, when Joan Finney was governor, we weren't ALLOWED to, because that was deemed unfair to the school districts that have less population/less wealth.

So I have no doubt that Johnson County schools will be just fine. Parents are involved and want to invest in their kids' educations. The low crime and great schools are the reason they are here.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 985,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Johnson County has always been willing to fill in the gap with private funds for their schools. In the 90s, when Joan Finney was governor, we weren't ALLOWED to, because that was deemed unfair to the school districts that have less population/less wealth.

So I have no doubt that Johnson County schools will be just fine. Parents are involved and want to invest in their kids' educations. The low crime and great schools are the reason they are here.
Private funds would have no recourse for a court-ordered shutdown, if that were to occur.

Also, you don't really mean private funds, do you? You mean public funds, locally sourced. I'm sure you're right that JoCo schools will be fine, but only by way of a property tax hike. (Which is ironic, since a tax break is the reason Kansas is in this mess.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or