U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

Are schools in Kansas as good as Cupertino/Menlo Park schools in California? We are planning to move to Kansas from California.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Where are you moving in Kansas? To Johnson County? If so, Blue Valley School District is the best, but Shawnee Mission and Olathe are good too. I don't know anything about Cupertino/Menlo Park schools, but according to the link below Blue Valley is the #1 best school district in Kansas in 2016 and Shawnee Mission is #2. Olathe is #5.

https://k12.nichebeta.com/d/blue-val...rland-park-ks/

https://k12.nichebeta.com/d/shawnee-...ol-district-ks

Old 06-25-2016, 10:12 AM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
If you are moving to the KC area you better do some research on the fiscal state of Kansas before choosing the Kansas side.

Just Google anything about the Kansas economy, school funding etc. There is tons of info out there. I would look at park hill, Lee's Summit etc on the MO side before settling with KS side.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Kansas is fine and I would say Johnson County is more comparable to Cupertino than anything on the Missouri side. And the schools are great. Don't listen to the naysayers. Some on this forum try to push the Missouri side. You specifically said KANSAS. The Kansas side is better, in my opinion. PM me if you like.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,377 times
Thanks for taking time out to respond.
I will be staying someplace close to Sprint office but the priority is good school as my daughter will be joining first year in high school. If any one local can throw some light on-
how rigorous public schools are? and
Info on Private, charter/magnet high school
TIA

Old 06-25-2016, 02:03 PM

The area around Sprint is Blue Valley School District. The public schools are great. You won't need private or magnet schools. A lot of doctors in Kansas City send their kids to Blue Valley School District or, in Shawnee Mission School District, specifically to Shawnee Mission East High School - rather than sending them to private schools. I don't think you can go wrong with any schools in Blue Valley.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:16 PM

172 posts, read 98,543 times
Both Kansas and Missouri offer great school districts in the KC area. School districts, not state lines, matter the most. In your case, it sounds like you'll work near or at the Sprint campus. I would also point you toward the Blue Valley or Shawnee Mission school districts, because that means you'll live close to work and offer good educational opportunities for your daughter.

Bear in mind, Blue Valley is often touted as the best school district on the Kansas side. If test scores and higher affluence matter most, then yes, Blue Valley wins. Neither test scores nor affluence guarantee rigor. If it were me, and I was seeking rigorous programs, I would take a long hard look at schools that offer IB.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Johnson County schools are very good, and for the immediate future, there is no real reason to consider private schools (though there are some prestigious private schools close by, like Barstow at about 115th and State Line in KCMO on the border of Leawood, and very close to the Sprint Campus).

Longer term, however, there is a fairly legitimate threat to public education in Kansas, though Johnson County is likely the last place in the state that would feel effects of the state's economic and political turmoil.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:01 PM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Although it's generally true that Blue Valley schools are the best in the metro, right now all Kansas public schools are suspect, due to the state budget. I'm not saying DON'T put your daughter in a Kansas public school, but make sure you're up to date on the situation.

Kansas GOP Lawmakers Advance Plan to Avert School Closings - ABC News

Old 06-27-2016, 01:20 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Kansas is in rough shape, currently, but the Johnson County school districts are still solid. At this point, anyway.

Anybody considering moving to KS right now would be very well-served to read up on the legislative landscape to know what they're signing on for. Especially if they're moving from a totally different region and it's not on their radar at all. Truth is, it's a big old mess and will continue to be, if voting trends stay consistent (and I have no reason to believe they won't). And that mess will absolutely ultimately affect what have been, till this point, good schools. I've worked in education most of my life, and am not a "sky is falling" sort at all, but the reality is that voters here have a proven track record of making choices that are quite harmful in many ways, and that's coming home to roost in education.

OP, do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or