U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking for a clean and quiet apartment complex. Here is the deal, I cannot live with any mold! I have a life threatening allergy to mold. Looking at apartment reviews on Yelp/FB/Google is scary! They all have terrible reviews and majority of people are posting photos of serious mold issues, even in newly built apartments. It's frightening! I feel like I will never find a safe place to live. If someone isn't yelping about mold it's bugs or poor insulation. I feel like the apartments in OP appear nice on the outside but the insides are crap! I am open to any nice suburb on the KS side. I prefer newer areas that are family friendly. Whats up with the expensive, moldy, buggy, apartments out there!? I'm shocked! That crap would not fly in SD. Renters have all the rights & upperhand in CA. Seems opposite out there, lots of people complain about rude poor management too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:45 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I rented three places in KC prior to home ownership (two apartments, one house). None had mold issues. All three were KCMO, though. I live in KS now, but have never rented here, so I can't speak to that.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKC4 View Post
So I'm looking for a clean and quiet apartment complex. Here is the deal, I cannot live with any mold! I have a life threatening allergy to mold. Looking at apartment reviews on Yelp/FB/Google is scary! They all have terrible reviews and majority of people are posting photos of serious mold issues, even in newly built apartments. It's frightening! I feel like I will never find a safe place to live. If someone isn't yelping about mold it's bugs or poor insulation. I feel like the apartments in OP appear nice on the outside but the insides are crap! I am open to any nice suburb on the KS side. I prefer newer areas that are family friendly. Whats up with the expensive, moldy, buggy, apartments out there!? I'm shocked! That crap would not fly in SD. Renters have all the rights & upperhand in CA. Seems opposite out there, lots of people complain about rude poor management too.
Someone's going to touch the third rail, so it might as well be me.

May I ask why you're looking only on the Kansas side? There are valid reasons to do so, I'm just curious if you're trying to stay close to a job you're going to on the Kansas side, or if there is some other reason.

I ask because there are certain people who will tell newcomers that Kansas is the "family-friendly" side of the metro, to the exclusion of all other areas. If you want a nice suburb that is newer and family friendly, there are lots of good options in Johnson County, KS, but also good options in Belton, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Eastern Independence, Liberty, KC North (inside KCMO city limits, but north of the river) and Parkville.

Note to JoCo boosters: I didn't say anything bad about Kansas!

Old 07-02-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Someone's going to touch the third rail, so it might as well be me.

May I ask why you're looking only on the Kansas side? There are valid reasons to do so, I'm just curious if you're trying to stay close to a job you're going to on the Kansas side, or if there is some other reason.

I ask because there are certain people who will tell newcomers that Kansas is the "family-friendly" side of the metro, to the exclusion of all other areas. If you want a nice suburb that is newer and family friendly, there are lots of good options in Johnson County, KS, but also good options in Belton, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Eastern Independence, Liberty, KC North (inside KCMO city limits, but north of the river) and Parkville.

Note to JoCo boosters: I didn't say anything bad about Kansas!
Thanks, I'll check those out. We are open minded. Interested in the KS side bc our family lives in Leawood and OP.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:30 PM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check those out. We are open minded. Interested in the KS side bc our family lives in Leawood and OP.
That's understandable. Although all of Leawood and most of Overland Park are within a 5 minute drive of the Missouri state line.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:26 PM

889 posts, read 1,428,099 times
I've never had any problems on the Kansas side.

Hardware stores sell mold testing kits, if you're interested.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:07 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
I can't imagine that EVERY apartment complex has issues with mold or bugs. I haven't rented, but I know there are lots of nice places. Mission Farms, The Sovereign, Prairie Fire, The Avenues just to name a few...I wouldn't think any of them would have the issues you talk about.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:50 PM

20 posts, read 28,906 times
What's your budget? There are plenty of nice, newer apartment complexes that shouldn't have mold problems. If you're looking for something really cheap, than yeah maybe they aren't maintained as well.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone! we found a place in Overland Park. Hope it's safe! signed a short term lease. i was doing research through tenate reviews on apartment for rent sites, Yelp, Google, Facebook. surprisingly many of these places mentioned tenates were posting photos of serious mold issues. even in newer buildings like prarie Fire. then bugs were another issue people were reporting in reviews. my sister who lives in OP went to go view a unit at the avenues and a cockroach crawled across the floor in the garage and there was a dead one in the bedroom! the leasing agent didn't even acknowledge it! sorry but that's nasty. and that's suppose to be another nice place! these concerns were alarming as these "luxury apartments" are not cheap!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:29 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone! we found a place in Overland Park. Hope it's safe! signed a short term lease. i was doing research through tenate reviews on apartment for rent sites, Yelp, Google, Facebook. surprisingly many of these places mentioned tenates were posting photos of serious mold issues. even in newer buildings like prarie Fire. then bugs were another issue people were reporting in reviews. my sister who lives in OP went to go view a unit at the avenues and a cockroach crawled across the floor in the garage and there was a dead one in the bedroom! the leasing agent didn't even acknowledge it! sorry but that's nasty. and that's suppose to be another nice place! these concerns were alarming as these "luxury apartments" are not cheap!
Not sure how that happens in a new apartment complex. My house is 60 years old and we have no mold/no cockroaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or