U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
River Run Rentals.

Thanks, KC_Sleuth. We took a look at the downtown buildings of KC, MO, about a week ago for the first time. Looks awesome. I found a large photo of downtown at IKEA that I'd like ta buy that shows what looks like an old train station, taken at night, with KC's buildings back behind it in all their glory. They color-shaded the station sepia-gold and the buildings shine in black and white. Since we're new and just putting pictures up in our house I think it would look great in there. What are those weird looking skinny-ish towers that shoot up sort of near the train station? Picasso's of some sort or rather actual functional structures of some sort?

Thanks for the River Run Rentals tip - we'll have ta check that out.
You really are new in town ;-)

The "old train station" is kind of Kansas City's centerpiece: Union Station. It was painstakingly remodeled in 1999, and now serves as the home of Science City, as well as a number of theaters, restaurants, a rotating museum and lots of event space. Additionally, it's been KC's Amtrak station for years (even when it was essentially condemned) and there are many office rentals. The building is actually fiscally profitable, and they're always in the process of expanding. As of a few months ago, it now serves as a terminus for the new KC Streetcar, which goes to the River Market.

UNION STATION

The four skinnyish towers are the four pylons at Bartle Hall. These are a big part of Kansas City lore, because Bartle Hall is the primary convention facility in the metro, and back in the 90s they decided they had to expand their exhibition space. But the only direction available to them was to go across I-670. It was determined that this would, indeed, work, but they had to support the roof of the building somehow, without breaking up the exhibition space with a ton of columns. So the solution they came up with was to have just four enormous pylons at the center of the new space (in the "median" of I-670) to string cables like a suspension bridge to support the roof. Then, to decorate the tops they commissioned a sculptor to design what he called the "Sky Stations". Their artistic value has been much debated, but (like the shuttlecocks on the Nelson-Atkins lawn) they've grown on us.

You have a lot of amazing discoveries ahead of you. Welcome to Kansas City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:36 AM

5,500 posts, read 5,163,219 times
You really are new in town ;-)

The "old train station" is kind of Kansas City's centerpiece: Union Station. It was painstakingly remodeled in 1999, and now serves as the home of Science City, as well as a number of theaters, restaurants, a rotating museum and lots of event space. Additionally, it's been KC's Amtrak station for years (even when it was essentially condemned) and there are many office rentals. The building is actually fiscally profitable, and they're always in the process of expanding. As of a few months ago, it now serves as a terminus for the new KC Streetcar, which goes to the River Market.

UNION STATION

The four skinnyish towers are the four pylons at Bartle Hall. These are a big part of Kansas City lore, because Bartle Hall is the primary convention facility in the metro, and back in the 90s they decided they had to expand their exhibition space. But the only direction available to them was to go across I-670. It was determined that this would, indeed, work, but they had to support the roof of the building somehow, without breaking up the exhibition space with a ton of columns. So the solution they came up with was to have just four enormous pylons at the center of the new space (in the "median" of I-670) to string cables like a suspension bridge to support the roof. Then, to decorate the tops they commissioned a sculptor to design what he called the "Sky Stations". Their artistic value has been much debated, but (like the shuttlecocks on the Nelson-Atkins lawn) they've grown on us.

You have a lot of amazing discoveries ahead of you. Welcome to Kansas City!

Thanks for that thorough explanation, rwiksell. That is really helpful - these things would eventually be discovered but I wonder sometimes how much co-workers and new friends actually know about a city, ya know what I mean? Because it's on websites like this that I actually learn more than most any other place about an area. There are these books that are available in many grocery stores and bookstores that are the historical gold-ish color on the outside that have the history of a city or town in an approximately 150 page softbound book, full of pictures that usually sell for $19.95. I have picked up several of them throughout the last 10 years from places we've lived. They have a series title of Historical American or something like that - I would like ta pick one of those up on KC. I have only briefly been here before - that was back around 2004 when I was going to school in Rolla, MO. I remember coming up on the city and we didn't feel like playing - must've been tired - and I just turned the car around and headed back to Rolla.

I am from Seattle so I'm used to heavy traffic and rat races ta contend with - I'm kind of interested in living by a large city again for all of the shopping, restaurants and sights available at one's disposal. Gonna be fun. We're only about 20-25 minutes from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or