U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM

224 posts, read 290,538 times

Advertisements

I'm settled in! Kansas City has truly surprised me with it's nightlife, social, entertainment, and shopping options. A big score. I live downtown so that has been great. I'm sad there isn't that many YOUNG black professionals here though. (I'm coming from Atlanta). Nevertheless; people here are great, and friendly. I have meet many wonderful people and my co workers are the best.

However; this begs the question? Why isn't there any shipping activity on the Missouri River. I mean every time I cross the river to whq! I never see any ships, barges, river boats, or anything! I would think this would be a major shipping activity hub by it being near the heartland.

I wanted to go to the river trail and sit and watch them go by but none

So what is the big deal, why no ships?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
I don't know the reason, but here's a good place to start your research: Port of Kansas City - Port KC

Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I've idly wondered this myself, having grown up on the Illinois River, which is chock full of grain terminals, locks and dams, and barge traffic.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:41 AM

This article may shed a bit of light. The lack of a lock and dam system through this stretch is part of it.

Barge traffic makes a resurgence on the Missouri River | Business News | US News

Old 07-14-2016, 11:54 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Too narrow, too shallow, too fast, not enough industry that needs it that can't just use more efficient modes of trains and trucks instead. It's still used though, just not very much. Mostly small barges that supply a few small ports with bulk material.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 PM

633 posts, read 437,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Too narrow, too shallow, too fast, not enough industry that needs it that can't just use more efficient modes of trains and trucks instead. It's still used though, just not very much. Mostly small barges that supply a few small ports with bulk material.
The Missouri is not too narrow or shallow for barge traffic. It will never have the volume in traffic that the Mississippi has, but the river, in its natural state, is navigable.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:53 PM

It has a barge channel, as the article I linked points out.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What is your source for the Missouri being unsuitable for barge traffic?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:38 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
The Missouri is not too narrow or shallow for barge traffic. It will never have the volume in traffic that the Mississippi has, but the river, in its natural state, is navigable.
You are partially right. The Missouri is neither too narrow nor to shallow for barge traffic in it's managed state. In fact it is managed specifically for barge traffic (and also, obviously, flood control).

It's natural state however, is so far divorced from what it (and our other major rivers) is today that it is nearly unrecognizable. In its natural state the Missouri was in fact shallow, broad, braided and comparatively slow moving, and would not have been navigable to modern barge traffic. Most of the large rivers in the US today would be better referred to as canals, the are so far divorced from what a river is in it's natural state.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You are partially right. The Missouri is neither too narrow nor to shallow for barge traffic in it's managed state. In fact it is managed specifically for barge traffic (and also, obviously, flood control).

It's natural state however, is so far divorced from what it (and our other major rivers) is today that it is nearly unrecognizable. In its natural state the Missouri was in fact shallow, broad, braided and comparatively slow moving, and would not have been navigable to modern barge traffic. Most of the large rivers in the US today would be better referred to as canals, the are so far divorced from what a river is in it's natural state.
That's interesting as historical trivia, but isn't the original question about why there's hardly any barge traffic now? I dnn't think the natural state of the river is really relevant to that. Especially when you admit that every river with barge traffic has been modified for that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or