U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 PM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Buffalo and New Orleans both have less than 1.3 million in their metros. They both support two teams
I could nitpick and still say that those two cities have more than 1 million in their metros, so they don't count. But they still deserve discussion. Buffalo would not get a team today. It's in a category with Green Bay - one of the original NFL cities that has held onto their team through sheer cultural inertia. New Orleans, despite its small size, has a humongous tourist draw. Salt Lake City is another one you could have mentioned, but they are a regional hub for a massive area. And NBA is more open to small markets like SLC, OKC and Memphis.

So if Kansas City were only 1 million in metro population, I could see us having an NBA team through luck-of-the-draw, but definitely not MLB or NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM

633 posts, read 437,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I could nitpick and still say that those two cities have more than 1 million in their metros, so they don't count. But they still deserve discussion. Buffalo would not get a team today. It's in a category with Green Bay - one of the original NFL cities that has held onto their team through sheer cultural inertia. New Orleans, despite its small size, has a humongous tourist draw. Salt Lake City is another one you could have mentioned, but they are a regional hub for a massive area. And NBA is more open to small markets like SLC, OKC and Memphis.

So if Kansas City were only 1 million in metro population, I could see us having an NBA team through luck-of-the-draw, but definitely not MLB or NFL.
The Bills are not nearly as old as the Packers.

Most NFL teams that were based in smaller cities are now defunct.The Packers were given money in order to stay afloat a long, long time ago. Otherwise they would most likely be defunct.

Small metros like Buffalo and New Orleans support 2 teams. I'm pretty sure we could support the Chiefs with 1 million. Afterall the Chiefs are a regional team and have always been the top NFL team in Missouri and Kansas.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
The MO side alone could support two pro teams although more likely it would be just one. A 1.2 million metro could support NFL along with either the NBA or NHL. That would be the max though. MLS and especially MLB needs a much larger population base. There are many smaller NFL markets and even though the big markets are very popular now (LA, NY, Dallas etc) for their stadium revenue etc, small markets in NFL still work too.

Back in 1970's, KCMO had all four pro leagues plus a very popular indoor soccer team and JoCo was only between 200 and 300k. (metro was 1.5 million). So with JoCo now being 1/4 of the metro, the area actually supports fewer teams.

Much of the KCMO economy has since migrated to JoCo. If it were not for JoCo then much of that economy would have stayed in KCMO, the rest would have migrated to the Northland and eastern Jackson County. JoCo DID NOT HELP GROW THE METRO.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 PM

402 posts, read 300,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC can barely support the Royals with the population it has today. Two world series appearances and they are 12th in the league in attendance. A couple more years of playing like they are right now and they will be back in the bottom 5-10 teams again. It's not that KC doesn't support the the Royals, it's just that KC is just a very small MLB market and more people have to go to more games. For the size of the metro, it's actually a pretty good baseball town. Same for the Chiefs and Sporting to a lesser degree though. MLB is a large market league.

So of course the entire metro is is needed to support the pro teams. It's a silly argument to say otherwise. Fans in Kansas are just as important to KC teams as fans in Missouri are.

However, the teams are still teams of the KCMO metro area. KCMO is and will always be the core city of the metro. Even sporting is more or less a team of KCMO even though they are located in Kansas. It's like the Washington Redskins. It's a "DC" team, not a Landover Maryland team (location of stadium), even though I'm sure they have more fans in VA and MD than DC itself.

As mentioned above, if Kansas were a body of water, the population of metro KC would probably be the same today. There would simply be 750k more people spread across the MO suburbs. I honestly think KC would actually be a LARGER metro today if it did not have the state line which keeps the metro from competing nationally and has done tremendous harm to developing regional transit and focusing on a regional urban core that can compete with places like Denver and Minneapolis. JoCo people actually believe that JoCo is the reason KC is the size it is today and if JoCo did not prosper, then metro KC would be much smaller today. Most of JoCo's prosperity has come at the expense of the MO side. The KS side does not compliment the MO side, it competes and tries to duplicate the MO side.

It is a bit ironic that KS needs to use MO side assets in promotional material only because Kansans think that JoCo is gods gift to humanity. If JoCo is such as great stand alone community or KS is so much better than MO then why do they need to mention KCMO all the time? I'll say it again. JoCo is the most average suburb you will see anywhere in the country. It's a nice suburb, but it's nowhere near what people there think it is. It's only impressive to Kansans. To everybody else, it's just another midwest suburb and a pretty topographically challenged one (not very pretty) and certainly not very exciting or interesting. (looks very 1980's there).

Kansas will always claim KCMO and MO as needed because they really have nothing for positive national recognition, but Kansas will also always be a freeloading, poaching thorn in the side of KCMO as well and JoCo people will always "think" they are the special part of KC and the only desirable part of KC to live in. The rest of metro KC is just places for JoCo people to visit, so long at they don't have to pay for such places. Everything else in metro KC from the Northland to Blue Springs to Lee's Summit to KCMO outside the plaza either don't exist or just don't measure up to the all mighty and all perfect Johnson County. Oh and JoCo people love Kansas and love to mention KCMO's urban problems, but always conveniently forget they have KCK which is actually much less desirable than KCMO for both urban and suburban living options.

For the record, this attitude is mostly those born and raised in Kansas. The KU culture portion of JoCo, people that live and die with JoCo and KU (often tend to be one in the same). The transplants are not really like this, although I have seen a number of them brainwashed into the same way of thinking after many years of living there. They never get as bad as the generational JoCo locals though. Luckily a lot of the generational JoCo's kids are leaving JoCo for urban KCMO though, so over time things should improve.
Rock solid post!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Rock solid post!
That's what happens when you start a stupid thread.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:32 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
For the record, this attitude is mostly those born and raised in Kansas. The KU culture portion of JoCo, people that live and die with JoCo and KU (often tend to be one in the same). The transplants are not really like this, although I have seen a number of them brainwashed into the same way of thinking after many years of living there. They never get as bad as the generational JoCo locals though. Luckily a lot of the generational JoCo's kids are leaving JoCo for urban KCMO though, so over time things should improve.
I was born in Missouri and half raised in Missouri. I like the Kansas side better.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 PM

172 posts, read 98,543 times
I was born and raised in joco, and I now live in and prefer urban kcmo. Let me be clear that it isn't because ks sucks and mo is awesome. It's because only the mo side offers decent urban options. If the ks side offered urban living, it would've been on my short list as well.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:37 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
I was born and raised in joco, and I now live in and prefer urban kcmo. Let me be clear that it isn't because ks sucks and mo is awesome. It's because only the mo side offers decent urban options. If the ks side offered urban living, it would've been on my short list as well.
Which is why I have never understood why Kansas leaders and companies have all but abandoned urban KCK. Take just a fraction of that office space in JoCo and put it in downtown KCK, (not out in BFE by Village West, but in downtown). Build some new residential and boom, you have a really cool urban enclave over there that would compliment KCMO. A streetcar across the West Bottoms to connect Downtown KCK to KCMO. Better access to the KS and MO rivers and Kaw Point. So much potential.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:41 AM

290 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
I don't work in Kansas and never will. I hardly ever go past the stateline (and never needed to) other than a few times when I first got here. Before I pay any tax to these idiots in Topeka, I would rather look for opportunities elsewhere. Sorry for the strong sentiment but it s a personal one.
To each his own. Topeka is filled with morons currently, but they're good people on both sides of the state line...

Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I like the Kansas side better.
We noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or