U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Reputation: 658

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
That's why I'm surprised that people are recommending SM North. East is essentially the only SM school left with the affluent demographics and a great school rating. I know parents and teachers in the East schools who feel that anything nice the other high schools and their feeders receive is all being subsidised by the property taxes the district collects in Mission Hills and Prarie Village :/.
Where is SM South in this whole discussion. I attended South 20 years ago, when our family was pretty middle-middle class, and I was definitely in the bottom 20% in terms of affluence. I know that was two decades ago, but I don't see anything particular having changed about those neighborhoods. Maybe a few extra apartment complexes have gone up, but that's it.

My understanding is this:

SM East: Mostly wealthy
SM South: Mostly upper-middle class
SM Northwest: Middle to upper-middle
SM West: Mostly middle class with some rough patches
SM North: Middle class with more serious rough patches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2016, 08:07 PM
 
172 posts, read 98,766 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Where is SM South in this whole discussion. I attended South 20 years ago, when our family was pretty middle-middle class, and I was definitely in the bottom 20% in terms of affluence. I know that was two decades ago, but I don't see anything particular having changed about those neighborhoods. Maybe a few extra apartment complexes have gone up, but that's it.

My understanding is this:

SM East: Mostly wealthy
SM South: Mostly upper-middle class
SM Northwest: Middle to upper-middle
SM West: Mostly middle class with some rough patches
SM North: Middle class with more serious rough patches
This seems about right, though I would classify SMS as middle class with few, if any rough patches. I don't view much, if anything near SMS as upper-middle. SMNW would be about the same as SMS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
This seems about right, though I would classify SMS as middle class with few, if any rough patches. I don't view much, if anything near SMS as upper-middle. SMNW would be about the same as SMS.
When you say "near SMS" keep in mind that most of the students who go to South live 3-6 miles west of it. That was my problem as a high school student. I actually lived 1/2 mile away, but I was surrounded by young families and retirees. So all my friends were 3-6 miles away.

If you think about all the neighborhoods between 435 and 95th Street, and between Antioch and Pflumm, that's where 90% of South students live. And there's a lot of upper-middle class in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 826,253 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Where is SM South in this whole discussion. I attended South 20 years ago, when our family was pretty middle-middle class, and I was definitely in the bottom 20% in terms of affluence. I know that was two decades ago, but I don't see anything particular having changed about those neighborhoods. Maybe a few extra apartment complexes have gone up, but that's it.

My understanding is this:

SM East: Mostly wealthy
SM South: Mostly upper-middle class
SM Northwest: Middle to upper-middle
SM West: Mostly middle class with some rough patches
SM North: Middle class with more serious rough patches
Northwest isn't too different from north. Most of the apartment complexes along 75th are now low income with section 8. Many of my friends neighbors are immigrants and the few businesses located amonst the dead stripmalls in the area (including a massive one that had been anchored by a long vacant Dillons) are dotted with fantastic minority owned businesses, a rundown Big Lots, and check cashing places. I just spent a week in that area and have spent time there previously. I'm surprised that North has the lowed demographics considering that the area around it has a considerably less amount of suburban blight than what exists around Northwest. I don't know anything about south except that one of my former classmates graduated from there and partied himself out of school in a single semester while waiting for his trust fund to kick in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 05:46 PM
 
Location: IN
20,184 posts, read 34,537,012 times
Reputation: 12519
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
When you say "near SMS" keep in mind that most of the students who go to South live 3-6 miles west of it. That was my problem as a high school student. I actually lived 1/2 mile away, but I was surrounded by young families and retirees. So all my friends were 3-6 miles away.

If you think about all the neighborhoods between 435 and 95th Street, and between Antioch and Pflumm, that's where 90% of South students live. And there's a lot of upper-middle class in that area.
You are correct on the school district delineation because 103rd street does in fact end right at Pflumm. The demographics are generally consistent in the area, but mostly aging as the housing stock is in the 40-60 year old range with some areas west of Quivira being around 30 years old. I heard about this supposed "infill" or large redevelopment at I-435 and Antioch due to Brookridge golf course closure and exchanging ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 PM
 
Location: KCMO (Plaza)
290 posts, read 230,647 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Northwest isn't too different from north. Most of the apartment complexes along 75th are now low income with section 8. Many of my friends neighbors are immigrants and the few businesses located amonst the dead stripmalls in the area (including a massive one that had been anchored by a long vacant Dillons) are dotted with fantastic minority owned businesses, a rundown Big Lots, and check cashing places. I just spent a week in that area and have spent time there previously. I'm surprised that North has the lowed demographics considering that the area around it has a considerably less amount of suburban blight than what exists around Northwest. I don't know anything about south except that one of my former classmates graduated from there and partied himself out of school in a single semester while waiting for his trust fund to kick in.
A bit of a digression, but thanks for the history lesson. I actually work near 67th, but I have gone through the 75th street corridor countless times and wondered what happened to the area. Frankly, it reminds me of some of the more lower socioeconomic areas I traveled through countless times when I grew up in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 826,253 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
A bit of a digression, but thanks for the history lesson. I actually work near 67th, but I have gone through the 75th street corridor countless times and wondered what happened to the area. Frankly, it reminds me of some of the more lower socioeconomic areas I traveled through countless times when I grew up in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area,
Shawnee apparently has a fantastic police force to keep what could be a high crime area at bay. My friend lives in a nice enough complex that isn't subsidized, but several of the units at his complex have been transformed into income based and section 8. It's something that landlords are really embarrassing in that area to fill their buildings. My friend is considering learning Spanish because of how many hispanic children their school is receiving a semester with the students and parents speaking little to no english. I'm from southwest Kansas so this "shocking" news didn't phase me in the least. The area is still substantially safer and cleaner than similar areas in WyCo. I'm surprised they can't get that old Dillons filled with anything grocery related... The Walmart down the street is a general merchandise only store, and the neighborhood market near it does good business. They haven't been able to get that center redeveloped even with TIFS, but if they go after the right store it would be really successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 06:53 AM
 
1,402 posts, read 1,710,961 times
Reputation: 890
^ indeed. If you zoom in on the area around 75th and Quivira, the 30 year change in demographics is pretty remarkable.

Poverty by Race, 1980 to 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 826,253 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
^ indeed. If you zoom in on the area around 75th and Quivira, the 30 year change in demographics is pretty remarkable.

Poverty by Race, 1980 to 2010

It really shows how much poverty has exploded all over the metro. It also proves what many will deny about the area around 435 and Bannister... One metro where relatively little change has taken place compared to what Denver, STL, and KC show is Wichita. The poor parts of Wichita are still poor and the rich parts are still rich. NOTHING ever changes in Wichita haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 01:08 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,674 posts, read 5,655,073 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
^ indeed. If you zoom in on the area around 75th and Quivira, the 30 year change in demographics is pretty remarkable.

Poverty by Race, 1980 to 2010
Thank you for that fascinating link. Truly one of the most valuable and interesting pages I've seen posted here - ever.

Here you have it - in a nutshell. The globalization and third-worlding of America as we have watched it happen over the last 30 years - graphically represented. Stark contrasts throughout the nation as our wealth and living standard has been steadily slip-sliding away.

This is truly a remarkable tool with a multitude of purposes....not the least of which is retirement planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top