U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:23 PM

1,298 posts, read 986,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
^ indeed. If you zoom in on the area around 75th and Quivira, the 30 year change in demographics is pretty remarkable.

Poverty by Race, 1980 to 2010
Question: How does the Poverty Line in 1980 compare to the Poverty Line in 2010? If the government raises the poverty line, for instance, graphs like this will make it look like our country went down the tubes overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 PM

172 posts, read 98,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
When you say "near SMS" keep in mind that most of the students who go to South live 3-6 miles west of it. That was my problem as a high school student. I actually lived 1/2 mile away, but I was surrounded by young families and retirees. So all my friends were 3-6 miles away.

If you think about all the neighborhoods between 435 and 95th Street, and between Antioch and Pflumm, that's where 90% of South students live. And there's a lot of upper-middle class in that area.
That area was once-upon-a-time upper-middle, but I would classify it as middle now. When I think upper-middle + Shawnee Mission district, nothing immediately comes to mind other than the nicest parts of SMNW's territory and portions of SME (e.g., northern Prairie Village).

Old 08-16-2016, 01:39 PM

20,186 posts, read 34,537,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
That area was once-upon-a-time upper-middle, but I would classify it as middle now. When I think upper-middle + Shawnee Mission district, nothing immediately comes to mind other than the nicest parts of SMNW's territory and portions of SME (e.g., northern Prairie Village).
It is solidly middle class, I would agree. Since median households have not grown as fast in those census tracts with respect to inflation it is no longer upper-middle class.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:38 PM

705 posts, read 826,253 times
Quote:
Question: How does the Poverty Line in 1980 compare to the Poverty Line in 2010? If the government raises the poverty line, for instance, graphs like this will make it look like our country went down the tubes overnight.
I had a similar thought.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,710,961 times
Quote:
That's a good question, and the subject of considerable policy debate. The methodology has changed over the years, sometimes just a tweak, other times a completely new model, but I believe it has always been pegged to inflation (CPI) and is always in the 11-15% range (as a proportion of Americans). We are a little higher now than we used to be, but no worse than we were in the early 80s. Table 5 on this census page gives a nice historical overview.

http://www.census.gov/data/tables/ti...ty-people.html

Old 08-16-2016, 07:58 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,710,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you for that fascinating link. Truly one of the most valuable and interesting pages I've seen posted here - ever.
Thanks, Man. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds this stuff interesting.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 AM

7,675 posts, read 5,655,073 times
Quote:
That's a good question, and the subject of considerable policy debate. The methodology has changed over the years, sometimes just a tweak, other times a completely new model, but I believe it has always been pegged to inflation (CPI) and is always in the 11-15% range (as a proportion of Americans). We are a little higher now than we used to be, but no worse than we were in the early 80s. Table 5 on this census page gives a nice historical overview.

http://www.census.gov/data/tables/ti...ty-people.html
Yes, that question is key to interpreting the significance of this data. I can't speak to historical changes in methodology, but it is clear that any model geared to keeping the percentages in poverty fairly constant over the years is flawed.

There is no question in my mind that we are much worse today than we were in the early 80s - as represented in the map link you previously posted.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 AM

1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, that question is key to interpreting the significance of this data. I can't speak to historical changes in methodology, but it is clear that any model geared to keeping the percentages in poverty fairly constant over the years is flawed.

There is no question in my mind that we are much worse today than we were in the early 80s - as represented in the map link you previously posted.
I don't think anyone said that the model was geared to keeping the percentages the same. He just said that it happened to stay roughly in the same range.

So what is it that makes you so sure that we're worse off than we were in the 80s? There are no objective personal standards of affluence; everyone just compares themselves to others. Which means you (and many others) probably just felt better about the general prosperity of the nation in the 80s than you do now.

I think it's very difficult to demonstrate by any objective means that the average American is worse off than 30 years ago.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 PM

48,992 posts, read 39,459,188 times
Quote:
^ indeed. If you zoom in on the area around 75th and Quivira, the 30 year change in demographics is pretty remarkable.

Poverty by Race, 1980 to 2010
The apartments up around that place are definitely *rougher*. There is a liquor store at that intersection where the owner got murdered a couple years back and the occasional murder in the surrounding apartments as well.

The two main crime magnets in the area are around there and then Oak Park Mall just because of it's size and popularity.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:03 PM

48,992 posts, read 39,459,188 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone said that the model was geared to keeping the percentages the same. He just said that it happened to stay roughly in the same range.

So what is it that makes you so sure that we're worse off than we were in the 80s? There are no objective personal standards of affluence; everyone just compares themselves to others. Which means you (and many others) probably just felt better about the general prosperity of the nation in the 80s than you do now.

I think it's very difficult to demonstrate by any objective means that the average American is worse off than 30 years ago.
I agree with you, this isn't a clear-cut issue.

It's further complicated because it varies so greatly by socio-economic groups. Lower and middle class wage earners have been harder hit for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City