U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's also possible that I largely associate with reasonable people who really aren't that interested in justifying where they live and if they like it and why with gigantic chips on their shoulders toward anybody who isn't in lockstep.
I am in the field and I can tell you almost all the reasonable people live on the Missouri side. If you don't think so, show me a link to data that I'm too lazy to find for myself even though it's pretty readily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 12:35 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I am in the field and I can tell you almost all the reasonable people live on the Missouri side. If you don't think so, show me a link to data that I'm too lazy to find for myself even though it's pretty readily available.
You're in the field of assessing individual reasonability across a state-line area? Do tell!

By all means, please feel free to supply a multitude of published, peer-reviewed, empirical studies that strongly indicate that the state of Missouri contains "almost all the reasonable people."

I anxiously await your professional take on what states are home to reasonable people.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
You're in the field of assessing individual reasonability across a state-line area? Do tell!

By all means, please feel free to supply a multitude of published, peer-reviewed, empirical studies that strongly indicate that the state of Missouri contains "almost all the reasonable people."

I anxiously await your professional take on what states are home to reasonable people.
Pretty sure that was a sarcasm post. Pretty funny though.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,770,490 times
Quote:
Since you asked, I don't identify with this attitude.

But, I'm a nonnative-a transplant who lived Missouri- side for over half the years I've lived here. Moved to Johnson County when I got engaged to my now- husband, a lifelong Mission resident. And, as an atypical Johnson County resident, it has been impressed upon me numerous times on threads like these that my experiences and opinions therefore hold no weight, and "what this Kansan says" is therefore not relevant.
What's a "typical" Johnson County resident?

Besides a Republican voter, that is?

(FTR: Yes, I'm a registered Democrat. But one of the people active in local politics I support most strongly here in Philadelphia is a libertarian Republican who moved here from Illinois. I back him because he walked the walk on making the [mostly poor, mostly black - he's neither] neighborhood he lives in better and building bridges with his neighbors. (As does his more ideologically conservative wife, a refugee from Castro's Cuba. We go 'round on the effect of what I call "the bargain with the Unreconstructed" on the GOP but otherwise also get along famously.))

Restating my own background here: Born and raised in Kansas City - same house, same street in the Oak Park neighborhood on the East Side, all 18 years I lived there before heading to Cambridge, Mass., for college. Dad's side of my family prides itself on having been Missourians since the state was a territory, and although they were more concerned about my own racial knowledge (something my Grandma Smith said I "wasn't getting in the white schools" in her inscription in the copy of Langston Hughes' A Pictorial History of the Negro in America she gave me on Christmas Day 1969, the oldest book in my library) than my Mom's family was, they also pointed to the Scots and Irish in the Smith family tree. Mom was born in Omaha (where there are still some Davises resident) and raised in Horton, Kan. She's a double Jayhawk, and I wear my KU T-shirt with pride in her memory. (I'll have to get a new one next month when I'm back in KC; the one I have now has bleach stains on it.) Several other members of the Davis family still live in Kansas, and one is active in Republican politics in Topeka, or was when last I was in touch with her. It was Mom's decision to fling both me and my brother hard into "the white world" that IMO has proved to shape me most profoundly; I've had some very refined black folk remark on the ease and confidence with which I make my way through mostly white environments.

I restate this to remind everyone here that what you may perceive as an "anti-Kansas" or "anti-JoCo" attitude isn't. I am, however, anti-entitlement - I'm an egalitarian at heart, though a libertarian one, which makes for interesting arguments within my own head and tends to confuse everyone else - and places where I perceive residents to possess unwarranted self-satisfaction (such as Official Washington, DC) tend to draw flak from me even if I enjoy visiting them (as I do Washington, both official and unofficial). I totally get JoCo's appeal - it's just not the sort of place I would choose to live. (Sort of like Philadelphia's Main Line, which does have some very walkable and urbane suburbs that I like. Of which speaking: how's Downtown Overland Park these days? Or the center of Shawnee, or the courthouse square in Olathe? I suspect they wouldn't measure up to, say, Ardmore or Wayne, but they're the nuclei of what I think could be good walkable communities.)

Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I've lived near the Plaza, I've lived in northeast KC, I've lived in midtown, I've lived in the Westport area and I've even lived east of Troost. And for that matter, I also have lived in Smithville and small towns east/northeast of there, as well as Platte City. None of them felt like home to me. Johnson County is home.
Now that you mention it, I think I could enjoy living in Parkville. I consider the classic American Small Town one of the best urban forms around (I have fond memories of visiting my Uncle Phil and Aunt Dorothy in Edwardsville, Ill.), and Parkville pretty much fits the template. It's also a college town.

But I am a "big city kid" at heart, and that part about the subway in my debut column in 435 is no joke. To borrow from another thread I'm participating in here: Go KC Streetcar!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:23 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
You indeed replied. Sorry I missed that.

My original question was sort of tongue-in-cheek, which is hard to portray through typing alone. The original purpose of this thread was to gather JoCo residents' thoughts on the border war. Instead, it predictably unraveled into a flame war.

At first, this forum's pent-up frustration about the KS side (or the MO side, depending on the author) surprised me. Now, I almost expect it! What would it take for luzianne and kcmo to get along, for example?
Sure, it turned into a flame war. I started with an honest response to the OP. (please note)

First we got lots and lots of attack posts in the KS forum...which even some MO posters eventually conceded were over the top and they vowed not to bash places like JOCO but for some the addiction proved too tempting.

Then, after failing to get them to stop some people took a tongue-in-cheek offensive to try to show the MO posters it was ridiculous. Surprisingly, they all thought it was both fully serious and wow they got upset. On top of that they felt that attack posts were justified and "fair" without getting the attempt at irony.

So, here we are. Frankly, I cannot personally maintain even the appearance of such a deranged and hateful heart versus another group of people so I have to bow out of that eventually, hoping some people got the point. It's just a really really bizarre thing to witness.

It's especially sad that they now start the attack threads in another state forum, for some reason. Otherwise I would jsut leave them alone.

The accumulation of comments are just sad, the worst comments are long deleted but delighting over death of children and other comments are just horrific. I truly hope some people get someone to talk to about these feelings, many have even posted that they are trying to stop but apparently can't. This is more and more turning into something closer to a 12-step solution than anything.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 PM

Just re-read the first page of the thread OP.

There is a story there, although one that might not sell in your magazine.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 AM

Going back to a much earlier response to one of my comments about the University of Kansas Hospital ads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KCMO and Kansas could not be more different, especially compared to the stereotypical image of Kansas. I don't care to claim Missouri either. KC needs its own identity.
I was very much aware of the difference between Kansas and Missouri growing up. But I understand your point here.

I often map my native state onto my adopted one (Pennsylvania) because of some strong similarities.

Both have two large metropolitan centers, at opposite ends of the state, neither of which cares much for the other but both of which sometimes band together when they realize doing so might help each of them down the road in the state capital.

Both have slowly aging populations. (However, I don't know if the recent influx of Millennials into Philadelphia has bent the curve downward again in Pennsylvania.)

Both are (or have been historically) swing states, in part because their liberal cities are almost evenly offset by their conservative rural precincts. (That's less the case in Missouri now as the conservative interior has become more solidly so.)

Both could be said to fall into multiple geographic regions. I bristle whenever anyone calls Missouri a Southern state, but there are indeed parts of the state that are culturally Southern and it was a slave state (though the Civil War split it in two and it is the only former slave state that (a) observed Lincoln's Birthday when it was a separate holiday and (b) named its black state university for the Great Emancipator). Pennsylvania is usually considered part of the Northeast, but that's mainly because most of the people live in its eastern quarter, which is either part of (Philadelphia and the Southeast) or closely connected to (the Lehigh Valley and the Northeast) the Northeastern urban agglomeration. Pittsburgh and most of Western Pennsylvania feels culturally more Midwestern.

There are those who argue that our state boundaries should be redrawn so that the great divided metropolises (New York, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago, St. Louis, KC, Cincinnati, Louisville...) are at their centers. I think that few metropolitan areas would benefit from such rearrangement as much as Kansas City would, given how evenly it's split between the two states. It would also allow the two Kansas Cities to become one.

Edited to add: Also, about KC vs. the rest of Kansas - sort of: I subscribe to Thrillist, a site that offers lifestyle and things-to-do advice aimed mainly at Millennials. The site is fond of listicles that categorize things (e.g., the best microbrewery in every state, the coolest suburb in each of our 30 largest metros [in KC, btw, it bestowed that honor on Prairie Village], and so on).

Two recent lists named the same city in Kansas both "the hippiest place" in the state and the place that was least like the state it was in.

That city? Lawrence.

The KU prof I spoke to noted that Douglas County was turning blue. Maybe it's because the budget cuts have choked off KU's air supply?

Last edited by MarketStEl; 08-28-2016 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-01-2016, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 7,681 times
Holy hell after reading this thread and others my oh my the KC forum is a HOT MESS. I hope neutrals don't think how people interact here (residents and ex residents) is indicative of how real life in KC is. The KS vs MO rivalry is only a keyboard warriors thing now, not real life.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguidesanrafas View Post
Holy hell after reading this thread and others my oh my the KC forum is a HOT MESS. I hope neutrals don't think how people interact here (residents and ex residents) is indicative of how real life in KC is. The KS vs MO rivalry is only a keyboard warriors thing now, not real life.
Words of wisdom here folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or