U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguidesanrafas View Post
Holy hell after reading this thread and others my oh my the KC forum is a HOT MESS. I hope neutrals don't think how people interact here (residents and ex residents) is indicative of how real life in KC is. The KS vs MO rivalry is only a keyboard warriors thing now, not real life.
It's seriously idiocy that is in no way reflected in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What's a "typical" Johnson County resident?
Good question. I'm still trying to figure it out.

What I've heard (predominantly online)/what I've experienced:

"JoCo residents are mostly white bread elitist snobs-affluenza sufferers"/my NE JoCo neighborhood is diverse, friendly, and predominantly working class.

"JoCo is a barren treeless wasteland of beige strip malls"/my community's main shopping district is full of small, homegrown businesses and vintage buildings, established arboreal canopies are plentiful (though sodden ground in the recent flooding did a scarily good job of uprooting some really old, established trees in the 'hood).

"Jo/Co's not walkable"/We walk constantly. Everywhere. We live in a very walkable community. More walkable than where I lived in Waldo, in fact.

"JoCo is overwhelmingly politically conservative"/JoCo is overwhelmingly politically conservative (even if my immediate area isn't...this is not all that headspinning to me as a registered Dem, given that I grew up and spent most of my formative years as a liberal from a liberal family in a sea of conservatism in a blue state that is only blue in its largest city).

"JoCo people hate everything Missouri and KCMO"/A phenomenon I've never experienced outside a forum. Not when I was a KCMO resident, not as a JoCo resident. I have known people who are nervous about going to certain parts of KCMO, but they've been on either side of the state line (I got married in a church at 38th and Troost, and despite it being completely safe and a wonderful place, I'd be lying if I said the location didn't give some of our guests pause, and they sure as hell weren't all from KS).

That's just a few, for starters.

I think the perception of "what a JoCo resident is" is VERY skewed by some folks on this forum.

I have zero allegiance to either Kansas or Missouri; I'm an Illinois native who moved here in 2007. I have no axe to grind on behalf of either side of the metro, and have been quite happy living on either side. I've lived and worked and gone to school with loads of people from all over the metro, and the ridiculous headbutting that goes on online is not something I've seen replicated offline.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
^ My issue with Kansas has always been from an economic, development and community standpoint. That's why my topics are about poaching, regional cooperation, suburbanites having civic pride in the urban core, transit crossing the state line, regional funding for regional attractions etc.

I don't even have anything against suburbs and certainly don't think JoCo is "rich" or "snobby" or any of that simply because I find it to be average suburbia and nothing more. I have been in big city suburbs that make JoCo look like Salina. It's just not all that special. It's nice average Midwestern suburbia, that's it. There are areas in suburban MO that are just as affluent and nice as JoCo and even nearby St Louis has nicer burbs than JoCo. MO suburbanites can be just as anti city as JoCo people, if not worse. Now I do think that JoCo people tend to be very clueless about the rest of the metro. They say the MO side schools are bad when there are actually "more" good suburban schools on the MO side than the KS side. I do think that many actually do think that JoCo is the only desirable suburban community in the metro and one of the most amazing suburbs in the country, so that part of being "snobby", I do agree with. But it's more ignorance than being snobby. I also think JoCo is overly obsessed with college sports, mostly KU. But that's just a personal pet peeve since I hate college sports.

I just have never liked how the KS side (as a whole) interacts with the MO side. It's not a personal issue, It's mostly a leadership and political issue. Most people in JoCo could not care less that Kansas paid AMC 50 million to move from Downtown to a state funded office building. But if you ask them about it, they blame it on KCMO, the etax, the schools or some other problem. They don't get how much harm that does to the metro.

That's where I stand. I think very few people look at the KC state line issue form an economic vantage point. KC would be a better city today if the Kansas side worked with the MO side instead of against it. You can't take the economy from MO over to KS and still expect the MO side to fund and provide all the culture. Yet the MO side is where most of the culture should remain. Museums don't belong on 135th Street and many JoCo people don't get that a strong urban core means strong suburbs. On one hand, JoCo people love to talk about how "rich" they are, but then refuse join in on metro wide issues. They are all take take take and that's why I don't like the county. One more company poached from KCMO to KS and that is one less company helping fund the zoo or the stadiums or taxes for the existing roads/police/fire etc.

I don't understand why that is so difficult to comprehend.

And give me a break TabulaRasa. I'm sure the neighborhood you live in is very nice and everything you say about it is true, but you know that the vast majority of JoCo is what it is. It's not a bad thing. Suburbia is suburbia, but it's not like even 5% of a county of nearly 600k lives in areas like you are describing just like most people in KCMO don't live in crime infested war zones.

People can pretend like the state line issues are not real. They are very real, they are just ignored. I'm not talking about people from MO hating people form KS just because they live in KS or vise versa. That's all internet drama and mostly just a fun thing to give each other a hard time about in real life. I have lots of friends from KS via work etc and we would talk MO vs KS smack all the time, but it's all just for fun.

But the economic side of things is very real. And this is why still today you have the two largest counties in a metro area that may as well be 500 miles apart. Not good for the metro.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-01-2016 at 11:29 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

"JoCo residents are mostly white bread elitist snobs-affluenza sufferers"/my NE JoCo neighborhood is diverse, friendly, and predominantly working class.

"JoCo is a barren treeless wasteland of beige strip malls"/my community's main shopping district is full of small, homegrown businesses and vintage buildings, established arboreal canopies are plentiful (though sodden ground in the recent flooding did a scarily good job of uprooting some really old, established trees in the 'hood).

"Jo/Co's not walkable"/We walk constantly. Everywhere. We live in a very walkable community. More walkable than where I lived in Waldo, in fact.

"JoCo is overwhelmingly politically conservative"/JoCo is overwhelmingly politically conservative (even if my immediate area isn't...this is not all that headspinning to me as a registered Dem, given that I grew up and spent most of my formative years as a liberal from a liberal family in a sea of conservatism in a blue state that is only blue in its largest city).

"JoCo people hate everything Missouri and KCMO"/A phenomenon I've never experienced outside a forum. Not when I was a KCMO resident, not as a JoCo resident. I have known people who are nervous about going to certain parts of KCMO, but they've been on either side of the state line (I got married in a church at 38th and Troost, and despite it being completely safe and a wonderful place, I'd be lying if I said the location didn't give some of our guests pause, and they sure as hell weren't all from KS).

I think the perception of "what a JoCo resident is" is VERY skewed by some folks on this forum.

I have zero allegiance to either Kansas or Missouri; I'm an Illinois native who moved here in 2007. I have no axe to grind on behalf of either side of the metro, and have been quite happy living on either side. I've lived and worked and gone to school with loads of people from all over the metro, and the ridiculous headbutting that goes on online is not something I've seen replicated offline.
Um, according to a recent thread here, we aren't supposed to respond to anti-KS statements here and should have our own forum thread so as not to disrupt the weekly threads bashing KS that are in this forum.

Because we are argumentative when they talk about how crappy KS is and we disagree.

Awesome stuff huh?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ My issue with Kansas has always been from an economic, development and community standpoint. That's why my topics are about poaching, regional cooperation, suburbanites having civic pride in the urban core, transit crossing the state line, regional funding for regional attractions etc.
You left out the part about how hogs kill Kansas kids giving the metro a bad name or the schliterban death that you couldn't gloatingly stay away from.

I'll start keeping track of your comments going forward before they are deleted by mods as they OFTEN are so we can discuss your "impartial" comments in front of everyone. Frankly, I think if people had full access to your comments they'd likely demand your exit from the forum but you're protected ironically by your own horrible comments that nobody can see anymore.

Then you flip a switch and post wonderfully insightful comments about the metro, it's development etc and so the people that see those, along with myself are quite enamored.

It's the dark posts, those are the ones you kept making in other forums that most of your fan base is unaware of. But don't worry since they get deleted, we'll just start recording them so you can't pretend to be some sort of victim in all this.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 AM

Yea, the pigs story was in the DC news. It did portray a very negative image of "kansas city". You must really like the story since you bring it up so often.

What are you talking about with the Schlitterbahn death? Making up stuff again?

Old 09-02-2016, 08:58 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Agreed. People walk everywhere over here in Prairie Village, too. There are people walking ALL THE TIME - walking their dogs, walking pushing strollers, walking pulling their kids in wagons, walking to The Village or Corinth. And while not as diverse as your area, there is a lot of diversity here as well - although some people on this forum would never believe that or admit to it if they knew it to be true.

And this area is also NOT very conservative. For one, we have a large Jewish population which tends to be liberal. This particular area, and I think probably most of JoCo as a whole, tends to lean toward liberal.

As for "JoCo people hate everything Missouri and KCMO" - What I hate about Missouri/KCMO is the ATTITUDES of people I see here on the forum toward Kansas and in particular Johnson County. Seeing that attitude sure doesn't make me want to see Johnson County "cooperate" with KCMO; quite the opposite.

I have lived on both sides of the state line, including places in KCMO (and KCK) that I have no desire to venture into anymore because of the crime. I'm not "scared," I just enjoy my life on this side of the state line where the crime rate is very low and I don't even think about being a victim of crime.

Crime is increasing all over the metro, though, including Johnson County. PV in particular has had an increase in burglaries lately and the PVPD has said the suspects are mostly people not from the area. But still, I enjoy life on this side of the state line.

My husband has mentioned moving up north. I did some of my growing up in parts of the northland (far north), and I do like it up there, especially the estate lots and acreage. But like I told him, Johnson County feels like "home." It has a different feel than anywhere else in the metro (and I have lived a lot of places in the metro - northeast KC, midtown, north of the river, far north rural areas, KCK, western Shawnee, Mission, Overland Park, PV) and I like it.

And as far as I know, Johnson County has always been part of the Kansas City metro.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:15 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Agreed. People walk everywhere over here in Prairie Village, too. There are people walking ALL THE TIME - walking their dogs, walking pushing strollers, walking pulling their kids in wagons, walking to The Village or Corinth. And while not as diverse as your area, there is a lot of diversity here as well - although some people on this forum would never believe that or admit to it if they knew it to be true.
Thrillist dubbed J.C. Nichols' answer to Levittown - yes, Prairie Village, in sharp contrast to his prior developments, was designed as a Suburb for Everyman - the coolest suburb in metropolitan Kansas City in its recent listicle rating "The Coolest Suburbs in the 30 Largest Cities."

The Prairie Village shopping center may not have the Moorish charm of the Country Club Plaza, but it shares with it Nichols' understanding about how cars and urban communities could play well with each other. As on the Plaza, parking takes a back seat to the streets on which the shops front, and some of the largest lots are on top of the department store (who has that building now? It was a branch of Jones (later the Jones Store) when I first encountered it, but I'm guessing Macy's probably jettisoned it. Did they?)

Quote:
And this area is also NOT very conservative. For one, we have a large Jewish population which tends to be liberal. This particular area, and I think probably most of JoCo as a whole, tends to lean toward liberal.
But nonetheless Republican. Democrats probably do better in state elections in Johnson County than they do in all but three other counties in the state (in this order: Wyandotte, Douglas, Sedgwick - but a KU political science professor I interviewed for the essay I turned in today [it will run in the October issue, and I'll share it here when it's posted online] said that he believes Douglas is now the most heavily Democratic county in the state), but in national elections, the county usually pops up red.

Quote:
My husband has mentioned moving up north. I did some of my growing up in parts of the northland (far north), and I do like it up there, especially the estate lots and acreage. But like I told him, Johnson County feels like "home." It has a different feel than anywhere else in the metro (and I have lived a lot of places in the metro - northeast KC, midtown, north of the river, far north rural areas, KCK, western Shawnee, Mission, Overland Park, PV) and I like it.
I only lived in Oak Park on the East Side, but as I think I may have noted before, I traveled widely all over the metropolitan area and had friends in just about every county, especially after enrolling at Pem-Day, which drew (and as Pembroke Hill, draws) students from all over the metropolitan area. Students living in 64112 and 66208 form the majority, but there were (and are) plenty of us from outside those gilded ZIP codes attending the school.

I think I got a good feel for most of the communities of Greater Kansas City in the course of my travels.

Quote:
And as far as I know, Johnson County has always been part of the Kansas City metro.
Indeed it has. But the chip on the Missourians' shoulder may also arise from the common perception once you travel well beyond the region that it's all in Kansas.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, the pigs story was in the DC news. It did portray a very negative image of "kansas city". You must really like the story since you bring it up so often.

What are you talking about with the Schlitterbahn death? Making up stuff again?
Thread got deleted, just like most of your "best" posts.

Heck, when you start a thread about hogs killing that kid and then make the comment you do....and then don't actually apologize but kinda say it wasn't your greatest post, I think you've defined your character enough for other posters to judge your other posting habits.

I guess I could be like you...write horrible things, get them deleted by mods and then deny I ever wrote them. Maybe you actually just don't remember.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Thread got deleted, just like most of your "best" posts.

Heck, when you start a thread about hogs killing that kid and then make the comment you do....and then don't actually apologize but kinda say it wasn't your greatest post, I think you've defined your character enough for other posters to judge your other posting habits.

I guess I could be like you...write horrible things, get them deleted by mods and then deny I ever wrote them. Maybe you actually just don't remember.
No it was not deleted, I linked to already once in this thread.

Lie number one.

I didn't say anything about the kid other than it was a tragedy.

Lie number two.

Anything else you would like to make up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or