U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 1,780,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Outside of the statehouse, JoCo isn't even considered "real Kansas" by most of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
WAH WAH WAH. What's the point of your post? You probably talked to one person in Wichita who said what you wanted to hear and from that you extrapolated that NO ONE in Wichita likes Johnson County. The whole world doesn't think the way you do; get over it. I'm sure a lot of Missouri doesn't like Kansas City either. So what?

I lived in Lawrence, went to school in Lawrence, and I don't recall meeting anyone who disliked Johnson County. In fact, KU students NOT from Johnson County would travel to Johnson County with students who were from Johnson County. And they seemed to like it, as they kept going back.
One of my classmates lived in Lawrence (he left Pem-Day junior year), and I spent many a Saturday night over his place. I think it's those visits, along with the Sunday drives my grandparents went on and those occasions when Mom had to go to the main campus to research stuff for her MSN and took me along, that cemented in my mind the notion that Lawrence is way cooler than Columbia.

But if you read William Least Heat-Moon's "PrairyErth," "a deep map" of Chase County, you will come across passages that strongly suggest that people in the more rural parts of Kansas, or at least that one rural county, do regard Johnson County as some sort of alien territory, or a decadent Babylon attached to the Sunflower State. (This is a little like my characterization of Wyandotte County as "a little piece of the Rust Belt on the prairie." Granted, Sedgwick County also has significant industry, and there is the coal mining region of southeast Kansas, but it seems to me that Kansas City, Kansas, has long had a more industrial and blue-collar/European ethnic (and Hispanic) feel than the rest of the state.)

As for a "KC side" and a "St. Louis side" of the Ozarks, I have no knowledge of the matter, as my visits to that region consisted mainly of a couple of visits to Bagnell Dam (which is definitely closer to StL than KC and was owned by StL's electric utility) and some vacations spent with family friends in a cottage on Lake Placid, a small lake southeast of Versailles. (Oh, and there was a crossing or two of that one-lane 1920s suspension bridge on MO 5 that was destroyed when a truck too heavy for it crossed it in the 1990s.) But there are clearly "St. Louis" and "Kansas City" spheres of influence in the state as a whole, just as Pennsylvania has Philadelphia and Pittsburgh spheres of influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The geographic center of the state population will not be shifting westward anytime soon.
The Kansas side of the Kansas City metropolitan area is the state's principal economic engine - of that there can (or ought to) be no dispute.

But the same can be said for Southeastern Pennsylvania wrt the Keystone State. That earns Greater Philadelphia little to no respect once past Lancaster or Allentown. It's also home to nearly one in every three Pennsylvanians, much like Greater KC is home to about one in every three Kansans. Again, big whup in the hinterlands.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:52 PM

403 posts, read 301,247 times
Quote:
^
Never knew that a specific KC side of the Ozarks was a thing. Then again, I prefer to go up north to the real lake country.
Granite, would you like me to dig up more on this since you know how to have a conversation?

This is actually how a normal person might respond to something they may not have known about, unlike the other poster that says she knows there is no such thing because she knows people.. Again....

I assure you that it's a thing or at least was a thing ten years ago.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:59 PM

20,184 posts, read 34,528,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Granite, would you like me to dig up more on this since you know how to have a conversation?

This is actually how a normal person might respond to something they may not have known about, unlike the other poster that says she knows there is no such thing because she knows people.. Again....

I assure you that it's a thing or was a thing ten years ago.
Post factual evidence from numerous sources that say it is so. As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of reservoirs, although I know many people do like the Lake of the Ozarks area. Overcrowded would be an understatement.. My favorite lakes area in the lower 48 would have to be the Canadian Shield region of the UP of Michigan and far northern Wisconsin- specifically the Ottawa National Forest and Northern Highland State Forest. I had a GIS project (my background) at work to specifically demarcate state and national land parcels for all of Vilas County, WI. They have a great GIS website and the county itself contains over 2,000 lakes, many of which are completely contained within national or state forests with basic trail networks to go along with crystal clear waters and fantastic boating/fishing. If you haven't been there I'd highly recommend it, more people in the KC region should know about this area as well.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:12 PM

Well I didn't say it was widely used, we have always said the KC and STL sides as long as I can remember. Never been questioned about it and definitely never been called a liar over it.

I'm not really a lake bum, but get what you mean by reservoirs. Not much to choose from close to KC.

Last edited by brooksider2brooklyn; 09-04-2016 at 07:29 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 07:16 PM

20,184 posts, read 34,528,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Well I didn't say it was widely used, we have always said the KC and STL sides as long as I can remember. Never been questioned about it an definitely been called a liar over it.

I'm not really a lake bum, but get what you mean by reservoirs. Not much to choose from close to KC.
I prefer the Northwoods, so miss living in Wisconsin now that I live further south yet again. I might explore northern lower Michigan more, but it is a fairly long drive from where I live now.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM

Deer Valley Park Campground is located on the Kansas City or west side of the lake, however we are close to the new community bridge, which takes you to the Osage Beach or St Louis side.

The Lake of the Ozarks area celebrates more than 15 years of the Lake of the Ozarks Community Bridge. In 1990 the Missouri Transportation Corporation Act Became Law. The challenge at the time for the area was to build a bridge across the Lake of the Ozarks that would link the East Side (St. Louis Side) to the West Side (Kansas City Side). The obvious problem was financing such an undertaking.

But that’s not all JJ’s has to offer. Located on the west (the Kansas City as opposed to St. Louis) side of the lake in Gravois Mills, JJ’s boasts a delightful menu...

I don't know if you all that have visited there are aware of this, but there are two completely different "sides" of the lake. The "Quiet side" or "Kansas City side" and the "Party side" or "St. Louis Side". They are actually about an hour to an hour and a half away from each other by car, and far enough away by boat that it's like a different lake when you're out there.

There are also many fine restaurants and outstanding golf courses. Some call this area “The Kansas City Side” of the lake because it is the closest access to Kansas City.

You're talking about the west side of the lake, that's the called the Kansas City side of the lake.

The communities located on the Kansas City side of the Lake include Camdenton, Greenview, Sunrise Beach and Laurie. Each of the communities offer a wide variety of housing options and unique restaurants.

Located on the Kansas City side of the lake in a quiet residential community. Multiple restaurants, bars and activities near by. Close to boat rentals.

Being located on what is known as the St. Louis side of the lake offers quicker access to area attractions in Osage Beach and most of the by water hot spots

There are about eight of these big dollar houses out on this point. They are on the Kansas City side of the lake.

North Shore The term North Shore refers to the first six miles of the Lake, starting from Bagnell Dam, along the north end of the Lake. There area is located within Miller and Morgan counties and there is limited zoning. Some people refer to the North Shore area as “the St. Louis side of the Lake.”

Here you make the decision to go east on Highway 52 to the St. Louis side of the lake or southwest on Highway 5 to the Kansas City side ...

Is that enough? Google the exact quotes to see the website they are on. FYI, people from KC might have a house on the the other side or visa versa.

Last edited by brooksider2brooklyn; 09-04-2016 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Post factual evidence from numerous sources that say it is so. As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of reservoirs, although I know many people do like the Lake of the Ozarks area. Overcrowded would be an understatement.. My favorite lakes area in the lower 48 would have to be the Canadian Shield region of the UP of Michigan and far northern Wisconsin- specifically the Ottawa National Forest and Northern Highland State Forest. I had a GIS project (my background) at work to specifically demarcate state and national land parcels for all of Vilas County, WI. They have a great GIS website and the county itself contains over 2,000 lakes, many of which are completely contained within national or state forests with basic trail networks to go along with crystal clear waters and fantastic boating/fishing. If you haven't been there I'd highly recommend it, more people in the KC region should know about this area as well.
I've seen a few gorgeous lakes in your native state. Do you mourn the disappearance of the Great Stone Face?

Of course, the Lake of the Ozarks is what it is because there's nothing as big as close to the big cities of the Central Plains. We're not in lake country, and both the nearest coast and the nearest natural lakes are at least an eight-hour drive away. Hence the popularity of the huge reservoir that feeds the hydropower dam for (Centergy? It was known as Union Electric Company when I was growing up).

And the forested countryside surrounding said lake makes it even more attractive. Contrast it to, say the recreational lakes of northern Kansas, all of which were created by dams as well.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:13 AM

705 posts, read 825,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
WAH WAH WAH. What's the point of your post? You probably talked to one person in Wichita who said what you wanted to hear and from that you extrapolated that NO ONE in Wichita likes Johnson County. The whole world doesn't think the way you do; get over it. I'm sure a lot of Missouri doesn't like Kansas City either. So what?

I lived in Lawrence, went to school in Lawrence, and I don't recall meeting anyone who disliked Johnson County. In fact, KU students NOT from Johnson County would travel to Johnson County with students who were from Johnson County. And they seemed to like it, as they kept going back.
Most of everything past Topeka doesn't like JoCo, but we still go there to shop. A lot of the people I know and have met there haven't been further west in the state than Topeka/Manhattan (for a school field trip usually or they went to visit a friend who attended KSU) and quite a few of them look down on Wichita too and haven't been. I know this isn't reflective of everyone, but the people I know just fly to Denver and fly back if they want to go to Colorado and they can't tell you where Hays, Salina, Pittsburg, Garden City, etc. even are unless they have family there or knew someone who either moved from there, went to college with someone from there, or knew someone who "sadly" had to move out to Western Kansas.

I know a lot of Western Kansans who find Wichita scary, but I've never heard the same amount hate that JoCo and Topeka get out here. You have to remember that Western Kansas tried to succeed at one point, partially because they felt that tax money, especially KDOT funding, was being unevenly distributed to Johnson County, and I can see why. Projects in Wichita take years to plan and complete and KDOT can never seem to "find" the money to get them started for decades after they needed to be completed, but in JoCo they always seem to be able to find money for whatever major project they want to embark on. Topeka gets shafted a lot when it comes to KDOT funding as well, and Western Kansas gets shafted more than Wichita and Topeka combined despite us having dangerous stretches of near constant and slow moving cattle semi traffic between Liberal and Scott City, Dodge City and Pierceville (it's a long unfinished freeway into GC past that point), and then there's the Highway 54 mess from the state line to Mullinville that was supposed to see an expansion from Liberal to Mead, but like the expansion project between Dodge City and Cimarron, it was one of the first projects to get cut when Brownback started to treat KDOT like a bank whose loans you never have to pay back. The only reason Garden City saw an upgraded stretch of highway to Holcomb was because the route carries three highways, and people kept dying at the Business 83 and IBP road intersections, but even then, KDOT cut corners on the project by leaving out two overpasses that were needed... Now you have school buses and commercial trucks that have to stop at a set of rarely used railroad tracks because partway into construction KDOT deemed the overpass as "unnecessary", despite having the money in the project's budget to build one. That money was later given back to Finney County. I'm just glad they overpassed the other set of rarely used railroad tracks before they started cutting corners in the project.

So basically, Western Kansans have an unfavorable view of JoCo, but still go there to shop from time to time, and urban Northeastern Kansas honestly act like they couldn't care less about anything west of Manhattan or south of Spring Hill. Heck, there's a lot of anti northern JoCo and Olathe people residing south of 435 in Leawood and Overland Park! The people I know who grew up in Overland Park and never left except for college refer to Olathe as being full of hicks, Gardner full of bigger hicks, and places like Shawnee and Roeland Park as "trashy" and "rundown." There's also a strange divide that seems to go on at 95th in OP where the businesses to the direct north of it seem to do worse than those to the direct south... Every time I go to Oak Park Mall this is very evident. The strip malls to the north are in disrepair, full of vacancies, and even the big box retail like Sam's, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Applebee's, Winstead's, aren't pulling in near as many cars as the Kohl's, Gordmans, Target, restaraunts etc. right across the street. Then if you cross I-35 on 95th and go down past Costco, the decay of that part of Lenexa is very evident. The stripmalls between Quivera and Metcalf seemed to be doing well, but the ugly duplexes that run along the north side 95th are starting to look pretty rough, while the homes to the south are still well kept. I don't know how this will affect Oak Park Mall in the long term because I can name three other malls with not so stellar housing nearby and rough patches that are still healthy malls like Wichita's Towne East, Denver's Colorado Mills, and, well, Independence Center.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,150,857 times
Quote:
The geographic center of the state population will not be shifting westward anytime soon.
Not sure I understand your point. I certainly did not imply it would. I can tell you with some degree of certainty though that Johnson County is widely resented throughout the rest of the state, and not thought of as part of the state's authentic culture. Many, many people in Kansas think of Johnson County as a snotty, spoiled stepchild. Not to imply that's correct, or a wise position, but it's the dominant feeling most Kansans have for JoCo. Seems to be reciprocal, too. Aside from KU basketball, KDOT funds, and corporate welfare provided by taxpayers across the state, Johnson County seems to have little desire to associate with the rest of Kansas.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 09-05-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or