U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2016, 09:58 AM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136

Advertisements

I don't know what to attribute the constant attacks on Johnson County to, but it's ridiculous. My guess is the only way to build KCMO up is to up JoCo down.


I will just say I love Johnson County, although it is not what it used to be in some areas. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the metro. There are a lot of people who feel the same way I do, obviously, because they live in/move to Johnson County deliberately. And I will say again, Overland Park is always on Money Magazine's list of Best Places to Live, so it must be doing something right.


As far as the rest of the state hating Johnson County, I haven't really experienced that. I know that there's a perception of Johnson County being rich and snobbish and I think most people who would say they hate Johnson County are speaking from what they have heard about it, not what they really know about it or have experienced firsthand. They just repeat the stereotype they have heard. There are plenty of not-rich people in Johnson County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't know what to attribute the constant attacks on Johnson County to, but it's ridiculous. My guess is the only way to build KCMO up is to up JoCo down.
You honestly don't even know why people don't like JoCo? I at least understand the reason why people don't like KCMO, even if I disagree. But you can't even grasp the fact that KCMO-boosters blame JoCo (in part, at least) for its decline? You agree that the two have been at odds for awhile, and it's your opinion that JoCo "won". So can you at least understand why the "loser" might resent the "winner"? It's human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 02:00 PM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
You honestly don't even know why people don't like JoCo? I at least understand the reason why people don't like KCMO, even if I disagree. But you can't even grasp the fact that KCMO-boosters blame JoCo (in part, at least) for its decline? You agree that the two have been at odds for awhile, and it's your opinion that JoCo "won". So can you at least understand why the "loser" might resent the "winner"? It's human nature.
I don't think they have been at odds at all, other than in attitudes of people here. So no, I don't think Johnson County "won." I wonder why Johnson County would want to "cooperate" with KCMO the way you want them to when all KCMO boosters do is put Johnson County down.


And no, I don't think Johnson County is responsible for any KCMO decline. On the contrary, Johnson County was there when KCMO WAS in decline and provided jobs for people all over the metro and the fleeing of businesses from downtown had nothing to do with Johnson County.


But you are going to try to blame Johnson County in any way you can because it is thriving and that drives you crazy. KCMO needs to work on its own problems and stop blaming Johnson County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think they have been at odds at all, other than in attitudes of people here. So no, I don't think Johnson County "won." I wonder why Johnson County would want to "cooperate" with KCMO the way you want them to when all KCMO boosters do is put Johnson County down.
So wait. Why would Johnson County lose interest in cooperating with KCMO, based on attitudes that only exist in an internet forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But you are going to try to blame Johnson County in any way you can because it is thriving and that drives you crazy. KCMO needs to work on its own problems and stop blaming Johnson County.
On the contrary. I want Johnson County to succeed. In fact, you can mark my words that if all the companies that moved between KCMO and JoCo over the past 15 years simply moved back to where they started, I would officially stop complaining about JoCo altogether. Then the whole question of the county's cooperation in metro-wide projects would just be icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 PM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
So wait. Why would Johnson County lose interest in cooperating with KCMO, based on attitudes that only exist in an internet forum?
Why would Johnson Countians want to cooperate with KCMO the way KCMO boosters want them to when all KCMO boosters do is put down Johnson County?


Is that more clear?


In reality, none of the attitudes on this forum make one bit of difference in the way KCMO/Johnson County interact in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 07:28 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 986,447 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why would Johnson Countians want to cooperate with KCMO the way KCMO boosters want them to when all KCMO boosters do is put down Johnson County?


Is that more clear?


In reality, none of the attitudes on this forum make one bit of difference in the way KCMO/Johnson County interact in real life.
I'm sorry, but you just continue to contradict yourself. Did you mean to say "Why would Johnson Countians ON THIS FORUM want to cooperate with KCMO?" If so, I'll grant you that. But I doubt those 3 or 4 of you would hold much sway in a referendum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM
 
12,622 posts, read 14,638,128 times
Reputation: 14136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I'm sorry, but you just continue to contradict yourself. Did you mean to say "Why would Johnson Countians ON THIS FORUM want to cooperate with KCMO?" If so, I'll grant you that. But I doubt those 3 or 4 of you would hold much sway in a referendum.
Not a contradiction at all; you just are not understanding or being deliberately obtuse. Johnson Countians in general aka people who think my way/KCMO boosters in general aka people who think your way. And neither has any sway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 PM
 
48,975 posts, read 39,459,188 times
Reputation: 30630
How about this.

Let's see a graph of KCMO's "decline" and then note on it when KS started poaching. WHICH IS BAD FOR EVERYONE.

While that absolutely doesn't excuse the poaching, it would at least help us get a handle on blame.

I am puzzled at least a little as there are numerous threads about how KCMO is on the upswing (and I agree).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
3,676 posts, read 1,782,587 times
Reputation: 2220
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Not a contradiction at all; you just are not understanding or being deliberately obtuse. Johnson Countians in general aka people who think my way/KCMO boosters in general aka people who think your way. And neither has any sway.
But the evidence I've seen here so far suggests to me that your characterizations of places and people's perceptions of them are not as well informed as you seem to think they are, or are based on a small data set.

You hadn't heard of references to a "KC side" and a "St. Louis side" of the Lake of the Ozarks (nor, for that matter, had I, but I haven't lived in the region for some 34 years), and several others confirm that the terms are in wide use and give examples.

You say that you don't hear much animosity towards Johnson County expressed by those beyond it. You get in response statements from people who have either lived or spent significant time in Kansas, especially that part west of the Flint Hills, stating that the animosity is indeed there, and I cite mention of it in a book by a highly respected author (born in Columbia, Mo., FWIW) who has made a career of chronicling America's overlooked precincts (his first book was the widely acclaimed "Blue Highways"). Edited to add: Actually, my own perception is that the entire Kansas City-Overland Park-Leavenworth-Lawrence-Topeka conurbation is "in Kansas but not of it" now, as the rest of the state save Wichita is most definitely rural.

You challenge the statements of a prominent KCMo booster and ask that person to provide links. I got some from that person backing up his arguments.

There's no doubt that many people move to JoCo because they DO love the quality of life there. The Shawnee Mission schools are - or were - one of the big reasons they moved. But people in places with high qualities of life can develop an unwarranted sense of superiority.

Once again, prefaced with the note that the plural of anecdote is not data, I will give you an example of what I'm talking about from a city closer to where I live now that (as I noted upthread) I visit often, Washington, D.C.

Washington is a beautiful city with great museums and many interesting things to see and do. It even has some interesting restaurants, thanks to things like immigrants from Ethiopia and a growing awareness of world cuisine among the locals. But it's nowhere near as colorful or multifaceted as other large US cities thanks to its being the world's largest "company town."

But the folks whose livelihoods depend either directly or indirectly on that company seem to think otherwise. Case in point: an ad I saw in the late 1980s in a Metro station, touting what was then the city's largest bank. (That bank imploded in a money-laundering scandal and is now owned by a bank based in Pittsburgh.)

The ad had a picture of the White House and this legend:

"The most important bank in the most important city in the world thinks you're important too."

I nearly bust a gut laughing when I saw this.

San Franciscans are also famously afflicted by this overinflated sense of worth, and Bostonians also possess it to a degree (I lived in Boston for a while as well). What I see here suggests to me that many perceive Johnson Countians have it too. Methinks rather than denying it, the question you might want to ask is why they see things that way.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 09-06-2016 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top