U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times

Advertisements

^ This.

Thanks, MarketStEl. I feel like I can bow out of this exchange gracefully now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:19 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Also ^ MarketStEl - I don't CARE why they see it that way. Some have a chip on their shoulder regarding Johnson County that has been there since childhood. I can't do anything about that. Others think Johnson County has "stolen" businesses from KCMO. I can't fix that, either. And even if I could, I don't care to. They can think whatever they want to think. It just irks me when they constantly put Johnson County down. I swear they spend time thinking up things they can post to try to show Johnson County in a bad light.

And other than hating that they do that, while at the same time screaming for Johnson County to "cooperate" with KCMO, I don't really care. It doesn't affect my life if they want to hate Johnson County. It doesn't affect me if they want to direct any posters asking about the metro to move to urban KC instead of Johnson County. In fact, I'm thinking maybe they are doing us a favor because Johnson County has become so much more crowded than it used to be (and half of the congestion is cars with Missouri plates). If they want to sway people away from what I consider the best part of the metro, let them. I've been wasting too much time here trying to talk to people who are not going to change their opinions/attitudes no matter what I say. So let them portray to anyone who sees this forum a ONE-SIDED and incorrect view of the Kansas City metro, because that's what it is - one-sided and incorrect. I don't care anymore.

If you had started this thread with a sincere desire to have opinions of Johnson Countians, I would have been happy to respond and give you my thoughts and the reasons behind them. But it quickly became apparent that you'd already formed an opinion and you just wanted to see if you could find Johnson Countians who would corroborate the opinions you already had. Sorry, I'm not doing that.

Last edited by luzianne; 09-06-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

If you had started this thread with a sincere desire to have opinions of Johnson Countians, I would have been happy to respond and give you my thoughts and the reasons behind them. But it quickly became apparent that you'd already formed an opinion and you just wanted to see if you could find Johnson Countians who would corroborate the opinions you already had. Sorry, I'm not doing that.
And there you go again.

I quote one respondent in the article, who replied by private message but never posted a single item to this discussion, as being upset when Jackson County surpassed Johnson County in GDP last year.

I could say that this is awful, that the county containing the core city should perforce be the regional GDP leader. But I didn't - nor did I add any commentary of my own suggesting this person should not have felt that way.

What I have heard and was looking for some confirmation of - and I got it - was:

--The school district I knew as "the gold standard for public education in the region" - a phrase I use in my essay - had slipped, and maybe slipped badly.

--There were people who lived in the county who felt that the tactics being used in the "border war" were adversely affecting the quality of life in the county.

I also got some comments from a University of Kansas political science professor that suggested that the rather dogmatic approach being taken in Topeka towards taxation and economic development was hurting both the state's education system and individual Kansans (9 percent sales taxes vs. 2 percent on the other side of State Line Road?).

Tolerating the decline of an outstanding educational system is like eating your seed corn.

I really wasn't looking to write about any senses of entitlement, or smugness, or inflated self-worth, or privilege, or any of those other things that I, my relatives or others have mentioned or alluded to. None of that was relevant to the subject of either my original post or my inquiry. That it comes up anyway says to me that there is another problem that does need to be dealt with - but I don't have any good suggestions on how to deal with it except to suggest that usually those who enjoy the privilege often don't understand how it (a) comes off to others (b) actually places a greater burden on them than on those who don't enjoy it.

At the very least, I think you should read the essay when the October issue of 435 hits the stands around Sept. 27 or it appears online shortly after Oct. 1. Then let me know whether I gave the subject I wrote about a fair shake or not. I do have a definite point of view on it, and it will be clear in the essay, but once again, it's not this subject.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Looks like MarketStEl has responded well to other posters, so I have little to add.

I can't wait to read this 435 article.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:14 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Brownback says media not reporting good economic news. Here's why. | Statehouse Live / LJWorld.com
I find the comments at the end of the article to be enlightening. The great failure of trickle down economics at work, and Brownback will never admit to any mistakes- you can guarantee that on a silver platter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or