U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:27 AM

3,664 posts, read 1,773,993 times

Advertisements

Hello, JoCo!

My name is Sandy Smith. I'm a native (which, I've discovered, means forever) Kansas Citian now resident in Philadelphia. Where I live, I'm the home and real estate editor of Philadelphia magazine; where you live, I'm the newest columnist for 435, Kansas City's Magazine. (Want to read my debut column?)

I'm at work on a column in which I examine the "border war" whereby Kansas and Missouri dangle incentives at firms in the other state to get them to move to theirs. Missouri has in the past offered truces in this war, but so far, Kansas has refused the offer. Gov. Sam Brownback, from what I can tell, regards these border raids as a crucial part of his job creation strategy for the Sunflower State.

Yet I've also heard that over the past year or so, a growing number of Kansans are dissatisfied with Gov. Brownback's approach to growing the state's economy and fixing its problems. Educators across the state don't like the way continued budget cuts have hamstrung local schools, for instance, or even shortchanged the state's fine universities. (FTR, I grew up in Missouri, but my Mom was a Jayhawk.)

Then last week, a Tea Party-affiliated Congressman from the state's westernmost Congressional district was defeated by a more moderate opponent in the Republican state primary. Some are taking Tim Huelskamp's drubbing as a sign that Kansans as a whole may be rethinking the merits of the hard-right approach to running (and representing) the state and ready for a more moderate approach in the tradition of Bob Dole and Nancy Landon Kassebaum.

So one of the things I want to know is: Will this bring the Shawnee Mission School District out of its funk? Another: Might this mean an olive branch from Topeka in the border war? What do people in Kansas' most populous and most affluent county think about the current state of affairs and that war?

If you might be willing to share your thoughts on these things with me, I'd love to hear from you. If you just want to make comments here, feel free to - with the understanding that, unless you say otherwise, you may end up being quoted in an upcoming column I'm writing for 435. (I will send you a private message requesting your actual name and city if I do opt to quote you; you may request in response that I quote you anonymously, but please state your city of residence regardless.) If you're willing to talk with me one-on-one, either via email or on the phone, please send me a private message with your contact information and preferred method.

Okay, I'm done talking, at least for now. Now it's your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Johnson Countians discussing the real topics that plague Kansas and Metro KC? Unless those topics are about how the KCMO schools are un-acredited or how many homicides KCMO has every year or how many meth houses are in Independence, I don't think so. Most have no idea that these rather large problems (corporate welfare, school funding, tea party government, suburban sprawl/decay, terrible regional cooperation etc) even exist or they just could not care less.

They will tell you about how great the schools are (you know the 2 or 3 districts in the entire state they have for now) and how well the newest retail corridor is doing (I guess that would be 151st street now?) and still try to mention how JoCo is one of the richest counties in the nation. That's about all they care to discuss.

Good luck .

Nice colunm by the way.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Johnson Countians discussing the real topics that plague Kansas and Metro KC? Unless those topics are about how the KCMO schools are un-acredited or how many homicides KCMO has every year or how many meth houses are in Independence, I don't think so. Most have no idea that these rather large problems (corporate welfare, school funding, tea party government, suburban sprawl/decay, terrible regional cooperation etc) even exist or they just could not care less.

They will tell you about how great the schools are (you know the 2 or 3 districts in the entire state they have for now) and how well the newest retail corridor is doing (I guess that would be 151st street now?) and still try to mention how JoCo is one of the richest counties in the nation. That's about all they care to discuss.

Good luck .

Nice colunm by the way.
Not biased much against Johnson County, are you? Pot/kettle?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 AM

48,931 posts, read 39,411,169 times
Hey Sandy,

A couple comments.

1) Since you want to talk about JOCO, you probably want to post this over in the KS forum. You'll get more responses and frankly moderator review is likely to be needed promptly....you're probably already seeing why.

2) You should understand that there are some fairly rabid people when it comes to this topic....so much so that some posters refuse to have a serious discussion with them and instead just give up and troll them instead. For example the first respondent can't even stand to see KU ads at Royals games....yeah...let that sink in as to the mindset you're conversing with there. As such, I think you'll find our responses to you more real than what we would want to provide to others whom are only worth winding up by giving them a taste of their own medicine.

3) Specific to your OP, I think you're narrowing your scope a bit far because MO is dominated by St. Louis etc. and so they spend a lot of money luring companies from Illinois and tourism from surrounding states via huge infrastructure investments in places like Branson, then there are the lower gas taxes etc. KCMO just gave Cerner 1 billion to build where the old bannister mall sits, I think noting that is important as well.

In short, states poaching from other states is a widespread issue in this country and not necessarily a good thing. KS only really has one direction they can poach companies in close proximity and that is from MO. On the other hand MO has Illinois to poach from so asking for a cessation get's really interesting as it's largely a one-sided benefit.

From your initial description you seem to have already made up your mind that the issue is KS doing something bad that needs to stop which is frankly an inaccurate portrayal of a major national issue. Also, this has been going on long before Brownback whose tax and spending failures are unrelated to the whole "poaching discussion"...but tying Brownback in will help readership since he's so polarizing so I understand why mentioning him would be smart on your part.

In short, I don't think it's a border war but more of a US economic war between states and they are warring in various ways and unevenly depending on geography and politics. KS doesn't have other states to reasonably poach from while MO does...I think it would actually require a multi-state accord or even federal edict not to offer incentives like these and it's been going on and will continue by ALL states whether the KS gov. is a nutjob or not.

P.S. I'm a transplant from IL so I take a wider view of the phenomenon and the border war mentality around here is nothing short of insane at times. The KS forum is full of closed and deleted threads about how KS has tons of sex offenders or legalized wife beating...so coming here to try to get a nice discussion is going to be really hard and you might want to try somewhere else.

I do not approve of quoting me unless I specifically note otherwise. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM

MO does not go after IL companies like KS goes after MO companies and you know it.

I'm just gong to give ONE example. AMC. Find me a similar example of a state poaching a company of only 450 employees from only 20 miles away with incentives in excess of 60 million dollars. You might find examples for a small fraction of that to move from hundreds of miles, but what Kansas has been doing is absurd and they have forced MO to fire back and do the same thing recently (freightquote for example), which was stupid. Nobody wins.

Yes, corporate welfare is a national problem, but Kansas takes it up quite a few notches and their poaching tends to do great harm to the metro area that give JoCo a reason to exist in the first place. That is something JoCoers and Kansans refuse acknowledge.

Oh and if you think I support the Cerner corporate welfare, you don't read many of my posts. It could be worse though. It could be more like Kansas. If it were, then MO would have poached Cerner from Kansas moving thousands of jobs from KS to MO and given Cerner 2 billion in incentives for a 2.5 billion dollar project AND built the campus somewhere between 435 and Lawrence in a greenfield rather than where the Great Mall or Mission Mall once stood. That's how Kansas would have done it. They know no other way.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-10-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 12:28 PM

684 posts, read 582,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2) You should understand that there are some fairly rabid people when it comes to this topic....so much so that some posters refuse to have a serious discussion with them and instead just give up and troll them instead. For example the first respondent can't even stand to see KU ads at Royals games.....
Get your facts straight Methguy. It's that Truly Missouri guy who can't stand to see a rivaling out of state university advertising itself all over a Jackson County Missouri tax payer paid for complex.

You're from Illinois (regional for the Cardinals), how many University of Illinois ads do you see graffitied all over Busch Stadium in St. Louis?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:39 PM

402 posts, read 300,760 times
I wonderd about all the high profile KU advertising at the stadium. They are pretty prominent on TV. I guess KU just does not have any such platforms that get a lot of exposure in Kansas to advertise. It is kind of a slap in the face to Jackson County tax payers though since Kansas is not really well liked in Jackson Cty. H&R Block or American Century would sure look nicer to us that don't care for KU purple in the ball park.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM

It's a hospital. I said it all along and you can find my post to trulyMO's original post about it. I think it's annoying to have KU ads at the stadiums and would rather see something different, but I have no real problem with it if they are the highest bidder for the space. They are a good hospital. The ads are only annoying because they just make more people assume KC is in Kansas. At least they don't have Jayhawk logos all over the stadium. They will probably pull out anyway if the Royals keep losing and attendance drops back to 20k per game over the next year or two.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:10 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I wonderd about all the high profile KU advertising at the stadium. They are pretty prominent on TV. I guess KU just does not have any such platforms that get a lot of exposure in Kansas to advertise. It is kind of a slap in the face to Jackson County tax payers though since Kansas is not really well liked in Jackson Cty. H&R Block or American Century would sure look nicer to us that don't care for KU purple in the ball park.
And Saint Luke's advertises at Allen Fieldhouse and everywhere else in Kansas. So?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM

402 posts, read 300,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And Saint Luke's advertises at Allen Fieldhouse and everywhere else in Kansas. So?
Sure, but don't you think people would be annoyed if there were large university of Missouri ads there? Hospital or not. It's still Mizzou ads in Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or