U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 08:07 PM

12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I live on the KS side, but we hang out in Plaza/Westport all the time. I have never felt unsafe there. One night years ago I was at bachelor party when a big barfight broke out but it was broken up pretty quickly. Aside from that, I haven't had a problem down there. It's like any city...as long as you have street-smarts you'll be fine. Generally, if you are going to be out late anywhere you just gotta play it smart...that goes for any city. I've honestly felt a bit more worried walking around Chicago late at night (with colleagues a couple of years ago) then I have ever felt in KC...probably because I was a bit unfamiliar with my surroundings and not 100% sure about directions.
I don't "feel" unsafe, either. But the crime stats don't lie. And the facts speak for themselves. People are being robbed at gunpoint just coming to and leaving work, and it is happening at all times of the day, not just late at night or before dawn.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-12-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 08:51 PM

990 posts, read 877,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't "feel" unsafe, either. But the crime stats don't lie. And the facts speak for themselves. People are being robbed at gunpoint just coming to and leaving work, and it is happening at all times of the day, not just late at night or before dawn.
Well you take your chances with anything in life...doesn't mean you should not go out and have fun/enjoy yourself. Or be afraid to go to work.

There probably a heck of a lot more crime on the Vegas strip during the day than in Westport...doesn't seem to keep anyone from going to Vegas.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Well you take your chances with anything in life...doesn't mean you should not go out and have fun/enjoy yourself. Or be afraid to go to work.

There probably a heck of a lot more crime on the Vegas strip during the day than in Westport...doesn't seem to keep anyone from going to Vegas.
It's foolish to deny there is a crime problem in the Plaza/Westport area, though, which is what people here do. They pretend that everything is fine in Kansas City. They told me it wasn't true several months ago when I pointed to this exact crime problem in this exact area.

Most rational people don't want to put themselves in any more danger than necessary, which is why a lot of people choose to live, work and play in areas with lower crime.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
It's foolish to deny there is a crime problem in the Plaza/Westport area, though, which is what people here do. They pretend that everything is fine in Kansas City. They told me it wasn't true several months ago when I pointed to this exact crime problem in this exact area.

Most rational people don't want to put themselves in any more danger than necessary, which is why a lot of people choose to live, work and play in areas with lower crime.
Yet Westport and the Plaza comprise the mostly densely populated area of the metro, they have some of the metro's highest amount of jobs per square mile, and they continuously attract crowds of people "playing" at a higher level than any other area of the metro, though downtown is catching up. More people live, work and play in those 2 neighborhood than in many suburbs 10, 20, and 50 times their geographic size.

Maybe lots and lots and lots of people just aren't unreasonably scared all the time.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yet Westport and the Plaza comprise the mostly densely populated area of the metro, they have some of the metro's highest amount of jobs per square mile, and they continuously attract crowds of people "playing" at a higher level than any other area of the metro, though downtown is catching up. More people live, work and play in those 2 neighborhood than in many suburbs 10, 20, and 50 times their geographic size.

Maybe lots and lots and lots of people just aren't unreasonably scared all the time.
I wouldn't call it being "unreasonably scared" to not want to be held up at gunpoint. And the fact that a major employer is trying to protect employees in the area is telling. I think it's funny how all of you downplay the seriousness of crime in the area when major employers DO NOT.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 AM

990 posts, read 877,586 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call it being "unreasonably scared" to not want to be held up at gunpoint. And the fact that a major employer is trying to protect employees in the area is telling. I think it's funny how all of you downplay the seriousness of crime in the area when major employers DO NOT.
It sounds like you are a lot more concerned than most given the amouNT of people out here enjoying a beautiful day. Classic Cup patio is packed.

Not saying it's a bad thing....but if you are always nervous about things you can't control then you will miss out on a lot of fun...

Old 08-13-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you are a lot more concerned than most given the amouNT of people out here enjoying a beautiful day. Classic Cup patio is packed.

Not saying it's a bad thing....but if you are always nervous about things you can't control then you will miss out on a lot of fun...
I'm not nervous. I'm stating there is a crime problem in Plaza/Westport.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:34 PM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Quote:
There is a crime "problem" in literally every community of the world, if by "problem" you mean that crime exists. But that's not what anybody means by "problem". The trouble is, everybody means something different.

The question that is causing all the head-butting on this thread is exactly how bad crime has to get before it can be considered a problem. Since there is no objective standard for this, there is no way to come to an agreement. But here's my 2 cents anyway:

Less crime is always better than more, obviously. But if a neighborhood is buzzing with activity, businesses are flourishing, and people of all stripes can be seen casually walking around, then you don't have a crime problem.

Westport and the Plaza need to keep an eye on crime, and should always be looking for ways to reduce it. But the success of these neighborhoods is a testament to their reasonable levels of crime.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:03 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times
Quote:
Crime in Westport and the Plaza has been steadily decreasing for the last 25 years.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM

401 posts, read 299,960 times
Plaza and westport seem much safer than most busy areas of urban Pittsburgh. Actually I think you would have to be pretty much scared of any urban area anywhere to feel unsafe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or