U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096

Advertisements

Just like I said several months ago, the area between the Plaza and Westport is not as safe as it once was. I posted then that employees of a certain company in the area were being warned of the crime problem and that alternate accommodations were being made for employee safety. Some of you die-hard urban KCMO supporters told me it wasn't true and I must be making it up. I wasn't.


Well, the crime continues and now has expanded to include robberies at gunpoint. And employees are still being warned and changes being made for employee safety.


Police urge awareness from ‘Pokemon Go’ players after some victims of recent Westport, Plaza armed robberies were playing game | fox4kc.com


This article cites four robberies in one night. I can tell you there have been many more robberies at gunpoint in a more specific area between 43rd Street and Westport. That isn't mentioned in this article.

 
Old 08-12-2016, 04:01 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867
Pokemon Go players??? Aren't they getting robbed everywhere?

Unsuspecting, not paying attention, gamers walking around in the middle of the night with cell phones valued into the hundreds of dollars.

Thieves have been known to go and wait at places most popular to find them, wherever those places may be. This is more so a Pokemon Go issue than a Plaza/Westport one. Any google of Pokemon Go crime and you'll get a plethora of links about crime/robberies stemming from Pokemon Go.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 822,598 times
Reputation: 638
I was down at the CCP several times last week and didn't feel unsafe in the least. Sure there were a couple of VERY rude panhandlers who accuse me of lying when I said I didn't have any money on me, but I didn't feel unsafe at any point.

Speaking of the plaza... I saw that Restoration Hardware is bailing for their new flagship store in Leawood. Whatever happened to them moving into Halls? That would have given them the increased square footage they desired to keep a store open down there. It's sad that stores have left the Plaza because of space constraints. Saks and Restoration Hardware are the obvious examples.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 04:50 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Pokemon Go players??? Aren't they getting robbed everywhere?

Unsuspecting, not paying attention, gamers walking around in the middle of the night with cell phones valued into the hundreds of dollars.

Thieves have been known to go and wait at places most popular to find them, wherever those places may be. This is more so a Pokemon Go issue than a Plaza/Westport one. Any google of Pokemon Go crime and you'll get a plethora of links about crime/robberies stemming from Pokemon Go.
This was happening before Pokémon Go, which is the point. Did you notice that I said SEVERAL MONTHS AGO (before Pokémon Go), I pointed this out? The area is just not that safe anymore. When a major employer in the area is concerned for the safety of their employees, there's a problem.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
This was happening before Pokémon Go, which is the point. Did you notice that I said SEVERAL MONTHS AGO (before Pokémon Go), I pointed this out? The area is just not that safe anymore. When a major employer in the area is concerned for the safety of their employees, there's a problem.
SEVERAL MONTHS AGO???

Well that's not too bad. If only every SEVERAL MONTHS there happens to be a problem.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 05:51 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
SEVERAL MONTHS AGO???

Well that's not too bad. If only every SEVERAL MONTHS there happens to be a problem.
Obviously, it's ongoing. You are showing your immaturity when you act like a jack@ss.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 PM
 
684 posts, read 581,817 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Obviously, it's ongoing. You are showing your immaturity when you act like a jack@ss.

Obviously its always ongoing. SEVERAL MORE MONTHS from now shall reveal.

Immaturity is someone who is quick to personally attack with insults (and profanity) when faced with the littlest of conflicts, opposition, disputes etc.

So curse away.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Obviously its always ongoing. SEVERAL MORE MONTHS from now shall reveal.

Immaturity is someone who is quick to personally attack with insults (and profanity) when faced with the littlest of conflicts, opposition, disputes etc.

So curse away.
Yes. You.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 PM
 
Location: KCMO (Plaza)
290 posts, read 229,980 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Just like I said several months ago, the area between the Plaza and Westport is not as safe as it once was. I posted then that employees of a certain company in the area were being warned of the crime problem and that alternate accommodations were being made for employee safety. Some of you die-hard urban KCMO supporters told me it wasn't true and I must be making it up. I wasn't.


Well, the crime continues and now has expanded to include robberies at gunpoint. And employees are still being warned and changes being made for employee safety.


Police urge awareness from ‘Pokemon Go’ players after some victims of recent Westport, Plaza armed robberies were playing game | fox4kc.com


This article cites four robberies in one night. I can tell you there have been many more robberies at gunpoint in a more specific area between 43rd Street and Westport. That isn't mentioned in this article.
I read about these instances all on separate occasions when they occurred. I won't excuse the lowlifes that committed these crimes, but anyone out and about during these times need to be quite vigilant of their surroundings. Unfortunately these instances continue to occur in all major cities.

On a related topic, always be careful out there during the the time bars close. I even had a co-worker assaulted in the downtown Lee's Summit, so lowlifes exist all over the metro.
 
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM
 
990 posts, read 877,586 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Just like I said several months ago, the area between the Plaza and Westport is not as safe as it once was. I posted then that employees of a certain company in the area were being warned of the crime problem and that alternate accommodations were being made for employee safety. Some of you die-hard urban KCMO supporters told me it wasn't true and I must be making it up. I wasn't.


Well, the crime continues and now has expanded to include robberies at gunpoint. And employees are still being warned and changes being made for employee safety.


Police urge awareness from ‘Pokemon Go’ players after some victims of recent Westport, Plaza armed robberies were playing game | fox4kc.com


This article cites four robberies in one night. I can tell you there have been many more robberies at gunpoint in a more specific area between 43rd Street and Westport. That isn't mentioned in this article.
I live on the KS side, but we hang out in Plaza/Westport all the time. I have never felt unsafe there. One night years ago I was at bachelor party when a big barfight broke out but it was broken up pretty quickly. Aside from that, I haven't had a problem down there. It's like any city...as long as you have street-smarts you'll be fine. Generally, if you are going to be out late anywhere you just gotta play it smart...that goes for any city. I've honestly felt a bit more worried walking around Chicago late at night (with colleagues a couple of years ago) then I have ever felt in KC...probably because I was a bit unfamiliar with my surroundings and not 100% sure about directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top