U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 AM

181 posts, read 111,060 times

Advertisements

Where are some stores or shops that I can visit in both Kansas City Missouri (and Kansas) to listen to and look at analog audio components such as vinyl LP turntables, tube amplifiers and pre-amps, cassette tape audio decks, reel-to-reel audio decks, etc.? I've seen the shops that sell vinyl records on the internet. There seems to be no shortage of those. However, when I look for the components to play analog audio on, I can't seem to find anything.
Thank you

Last edited by Punchy71; 08-22-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM

990 posts, read 877,586 times
My spot is Vinyl Renaissance in Historical Downtown Overland Park and also in KCMO on 39th near Jazz and Prospero's Bookstore.

I don't think they have much in reel-to-reel, but they have some quality (and expensive) turntables - both direct drive and not. I didn't buy my turntable from there - I got a Audio Technica LP-120 and really love it. It's a high quality machine for $250. The turntables at Vinyl Renaissance are going to be more expensive - think $600-$1000 price range. However they also sell used stuff - looks like they do have a used TEAC reel-to-reel currently in stock for $400. They are also selling a used Denon Receiver for $150 - I might have to check that out. They list this stuff on their website.

Also check Vintage Stock.

Update: looks like VR consolidated all ops into their OP store and closed the 39th Street store. I hadn't been to that location in a quite a while since I go to the OP store much more often.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:33 AM

677 posts, read 1,145,267 times
It seems like most record stores will carry some equipment (though not necessarily a huge selection). A couple of my favorites are Josey Records in the Crossroads and Mills Record Company in Westport.

One place that might not be an obvious choice is It's a Beautiful Day. They have a vinyl section in the back and will have some vintage gear as well.

You will also be able to find some old gear at most flea markets/antique malls. You may want to check out Holy Cow, which is only open on Sundays.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:11 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Try The Vinyl Underground at 7th Heaven.

And also estate sales. My son found a turntable just sitting out on a curb that someone had tried to sell and couldn't. He took it home, cleaned it up and started playing the Led Zeppelin album collection my husband gave him. It works fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or