U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:55 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,642,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kansas is the number one reason I don't miss KC. Dead serious. The state has ruined the city.
Hahahahaha. OMG, that's hilarious!

It's a good thing Kansas/Johnson County were there not so many years ago when downtown KC was a ghost town, no businesses wanted to be down there, no one wanted to work down there, and there was NO ONE in sight when the sun went down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:01 PM

49,019 posts, read 39,470,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
Just when we thought the border war would be over and in spite of the KS-boosting posters like Luzianne and Mathguy, etc... Sam Brownback and KS Commerce go right back at it trying anything this time including the KCMO Downtown CID (An org collecting taxes in MO) to lure them to KS asking them if there is anything they could help with. Gosh I hate KS and I hate his cronies even more. Here is the article:
Letter shows Kansas' efforts to entice Missouri businesses to cross state line, meaning push to end economic 'border war' has failed | The Kansas City Star

And also, look at this part of the article lol:
Bill Dietrich revealed the existence of the letter on Monday at a special meeting of the Economic Development Council of Kansas City. To Dietrich, president and CEO of the Downtown Council of Kansas City, the letter underscored the intense competition across political boundaries in the Kansas City metro area for jobs and businesses.

“The competition is real,” Dietrich told the EDC board.

The Kansas Commerce Department, when asked about the letter, said it actively recruits businesses to the state.

“To answer your inquiry, every day the Department of Commerce actively recruits business for the state by promoting our superb business climate, skilled and educated workforce and our quality of life,” said Nicole Randall, spokeswoman for the agency.

Read more here: Letter shows Kansas' efforts to entice Missouri businesses to cross state line, meaning push to end economic 'border war' has failed | The Kansas City Star

It seems Denver is next on my list for place to move to, seems kind of a small move
1) never said the border war was over.
2) I don't support poaching
3) I've never voted for Brownback and openly state that he's a failure

So not sure why you are dragging me into this.

However, if you start lying about stuff then I will refute you but I see nothing of the kind in your post although "hating Kansas" is rather sad but that's your right to an opinion.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
^ it's not just the poaching. I don't even know much about that. I know it's stupid.

The Kansas side is just a terrible neighbor to KC,MO. The city would be better off without KS.
No it wouldn't. KCMO would flounder without the influx of money from Johnson County. I know you hate it, but it's true.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:18 PM

80 posts, read 70,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Hahahahaha. OMG, that's hilarious!

It's a good thing Kansas/Johnson County were there not so many years ago when downtown KC was a ghost town, no businesses wanted to be down there, no one wanted to work down there, and there was NO ONE in sight when the sun went down.
Honest question:
How many of those companies/employers that moved out of DTKC without being lured with and has gotten huge incentives from Kansas? if you would list them, this would be a good way to factor your statement about "no businesses wanted to be down there" and that would lay your blanket statement and whoever questions it to rest.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Johnson County wants to be part of the metro when the Royals are winning or when they want to go to the Zoo or WW1 Museum or City Market or when they want to ride the streetcar, but when it comes to helping fund anything, they are no longer part of the metro, they are then Kansans, not Kansas Citians.

The state line will continue to keep metro KC from developing a high quality light rail system. In order for a regional light rail system to work, it has to go to both Jackson and Johnson Counties.

The state line will continue to harm downtown KC and keep it from becoming a business center again while most other major cities are seeing major businesses invest in downtowns right now. There is only so much residential and hotel construction that can occur downtown without companies there. Everybody in KC thinks downtown is booming. It's really doing less than most major cities as far as residential and hotel rooms and it's actually losing office space. It's doing okay, but it should and could be doing a lot more. And downtown KCK? haha. Most of this is due to subsidized suburban sprawl (mostly in Kansas).

Um, I was a Royals fan long before they won anything. I started going to Royals games in the 70s and sat in the rain on opening day in 1985 without the slightest thought that they would make it to the World Series, much less win it, that year.

Have been going to the KC Zoo since I was a kid in the 60s. I don't recall there being a "us versus them" mentality back then. I lived in Johnson County, but Kansas City was ALL of the metro, not just the Missouri side. Never been to the WW1 museum. Don't care about the city market; the Overland Park farmer's market has everything I need and not so chaotic.

I see Missouri people trying to call Kansas Speedway "Kansas City Speedway" and trying to claim Sporting KC as "theirs." So what's the difference?

As a Kansas resident, no one has ever ASKED me to help fund anything in KCMO. Never. I don't see why that is the case, as to me the Kansas City METRO includes both sides of the state line. But frankly, when I see attitudes like yours putting down Johnson County, it doesn't make me want to do anything to benefit KCMO. If you want to act like that, then I hope Johnson County snatches everything out from under KCMO, and builds our own BETTER things over here.

Have you ever noticed how prominent Kansas Citians usually live in Johnson County? I have. When Joe Montana came here to play football for KANSAS CITY, he moved to Hallbrook in Johnson County. George Brett has always lived in Johnson County. Doctors and lawyers and other professional people usually live in Johnson County. There are SOME who live in Missouri suburbs, but you'd be surprised how many live in Johnson County. There's a reason for that.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Honest question:
How many of those companies/employers that moved out of DTKC without being lured with and has gotten huge incentives from Kansas? if you would list them, this would be a good way to factor your statement about "no businesses wanted to be down there" and that would lay your blanket statement and whoever questions it to rest.
They didn't want to be down there because downtown was not the place to be. If you weren't here in the 80s then you don't know about that. But it was like a ghost town downtown. And I don't think there were any incentives at ALL from Kansas at that point. Businesses just didn't want to be in downtown KCMO and people didn't want to work in downtown KCMO. It was ghetto.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM

80 posts, read 70,152 times
Quote:
They didn't want to be down there because downtown was not the place to be. If you weren't here in the 80s then you don't know about that. But it was like a ghost town downtown. And I don't think there were any incentives at ALL from Kansas at that point. Businesses just didn't want to be in downtown KCMO and people didn't want to work in downtown KCMO. It was ghetto.
Then you should be able to either list what companies did or not with some fact, all I see from you from the day I got on here (CD) is someone sort of in denial that KS has been poaching from KCMO and that it is wrong. Instead you support it by saying (without proof) that no company wanted to be there. All I am asking is fact and I shall never bring this up again. It may be hard but then you could learn a thing or two into backing up your statements with fact if you are going to repeat them every time the problem comes up.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:34 PM

10,708 posts, read 18,536,846 times
Quote:
Downtown KC was much busier in the 80's. There were twice as many people working downtown. It was only a ghost town after five because nobody lived there. Ever been to Corporate woods after 5? Just empty parking lots and empty streets.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Then you should be able to either list what companies did or not with some fact, all I see from you from the day I got on here (CD) is someone sort of in denial that KS has been poaching from KCMO and that it is wrong. Instead you support it by saying (without proof) that no company wanted to be there. All I am asking is fact and I shall never bring this up again. It may be hard but then you could learn a thing or two into backing up your statements with fact if you are going to repeat them every time the problem comes up.
I don't know what companies moved during that time. I was in my 20s and had young children and was busy with that. I just know downtown was pretty sparse and no one wanted to live or work down there (my husband worked downtown at the time) and the businesses that were actually downtown were few, lots of empty buildings, and NO ONE went downtown after dark. It was not a desirable place to be. And during that time, there was a shift of some businesses to Johnson County.

Missouri takes businesses from Kansas and vice versa. Both sides do it. Businesses are free to move across the state line if they want to. If they are offered a tax incentive by one side or the other (and BOTH sides do it), why wouldn't they move? And some businesses just move because they want to. I have said before that when I had a business I absolutely would choose Johnson County over KCMO, just because to me it was a better location for my business. It's a hassle for people - business owners, employees and customers - to drive downtown.

I STILL don't like to go downtown and don't do it unless I need to. I went to Crown Center a couple of weeks ago and the parking garage parking was a nightmare. Give me a surface lot where I can park easily and walk across the lot to where I need to go. Smelly, outdated, crowded parking garages annoy me.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Downtown KC was much busier in the 80's. There were twice as many people working downtown. It was only a ghost town after five because nobody lived there. Ever been to Corporate woods after 5? Just empty parking lots and empty streets.
Not in my experience. There were a lot of vacant, rundown buildings that now have been "repurposed." Weren't you like in Jr. High in the 80s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City