U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I seen the last part of Oklahoma Joe's on the Travel Channel tonight. I didn't know it was in Kansas City, though. I never did hear them say what city they were in, but for some reason, I just assumed they were in Oklahoma and I was trying to decide if it was Tulsa or Oklahoma City.

It really did look like they served up some good bbq, though. Especially those burnt tips and ends of the brisket. They looked delicious. They made my mouth water. They looked like they'd be good just to sit around and snack on. Pop one or two at a time into your mouth, kinda like you would if you was eating a bag of cracklins.

If I'm ever in KC, that's where I wanna go eat. Travel Channel rated it #1 bbq place I believe in the nation or in the region, not sure which, but it was rated #1 something or other.

I bet Oklahoma Joe's will be jam packed tomorrow and probably all week after winning the #1 bbq something or other on national tv tonight.
Joe's is generally always jam-packed (particularly its original location, which is in a gas station and has minimal seating). They've won about a zillion awards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 5,165,456 times
Er, no.

The name "Oklahoma Joe's" references a brand of BBQ smoker (created by and named for one of the original co- owners). The name change occurred in 2014 when the longtime business partners running the company parted ways and focused on different markets. One partner split off to expand nationally, the other stayed local in focus. The branch staying local changed the name per business agreement. It was a naming rights agreement and has nothing to do with not wishing to be associated with the state of Oklahoma.

Well this newcomer to the Kansas City Metro does stand corrected, then. That's why I threw this subject in to the mix on here - I needed someone with some experience or knowledge on this matter ta chime in and edumacate us all. Thanks...the information I got was from a new neighbor here who just doesn't know that truth. Your explanation makes a lot more sense.

But, putting good BBQ aside, the battle between Kansans and Missourians is another story for another day, eh? They tell me that it is very real! Sort of left over from the Bushwacker days of the Civil War.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:59 PM

It's a lot more real on the internet than anywhere IRL.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,306,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Gates is the worst.. but yet, many locations!
Disagree -- Gates has great sauce. Their meats are not the best however. But Gates regular sauce is wonderful. They ship worldwide. I've even had a case shipped to France.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,513,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Disagree -- Gates has great sauce. Their meats are not the best however. But Gates regular sauce is wonderful. They ship worldwide. I've even had a case shipped to France.
Gates is by far my favorite sauce in KC. I also love their fries and baked beans. I'm don't think they have the best beef in KC, but it's still good. I think their turkey is very good which is what I typically get. The quality of the food at the Cleaver Blvd location seems to be the most consistent.

There is only one national bbq chain that I have found to be very good. It was not a chain till recently. They started in the Maryland suburbs only a few years ago with their original location and are expanding like crazy. I almost wonder if they are named after Mission Road in KC, check out the pic on their website.

BBQ Restaurant | Pulled Pork/Chicken, Brisket, Ribs | Takeout, Family/Casual Dining | MISSION BBQ

They have several restaurants in the DC area. Their bbq is nearly as good as the best in KC. Not quite as good, but close. They have many sauces to choose from, all homemade, from all the different parts of the bbq world (Texas, Memphis, Carolina etc) and they nailed their KC sauce. It's very close to Gates and it's very good. We are regulars at the local Mission BBQ and are treated like VIPs since they know we are from KC. We get to request burnt ends, which are not on the menu.

Try Mission if you are ever outside of KC. They are also all about respecting and thanking those that serve in our military and our first responders (police, fire and EMT). So that makes them even better in my opinion, especially now with all the hate directed at police, which is beyond absurd.

Give them a try if you ever get a chance. I actually think they would even do well in the KC market in a location like the P&L District where famous Daves failed. Famous Daves is absolute crap.

Oh and they know what state KC is in

Last edited by kcmo; 08-30-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 PM

Not inordinately fond of Gates or their sauce, myself. It's not terrible, but there's just nothing about it that sets it apart, IMO.

For whatever reason, I've generally found their catering to be superior to their dine-in.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:25 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,742 times
I have been pretty critical of Gates for years, but (aside from Arthur Bryant's original, which is, in my estimation, the absolute pinnacle of meat sauce in the history of eating, and no other sauce, BBQ or otherwise comes even close) Gates sauce is among the best. A true KC-style sauce, as opposed to the syrup that gets marketed as such.

The last 2 times I have eaten Gates I've had a beef-on-bun, and if what I had was the worst BBQ in KC, this town remains the best place to eat BBQ on earth.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,306,134 times
This might be a good time to recall Calvin "Bud" Trillin (SWHS 1953, Yale 1957) and his notorious words about Arthur Bryant's in Playboy back in the '70s: "the single best restaurant in the world."

Old 08-31-2016, 04:06 PM

Unfortunately, though, today's Bryant's isn't Trillin's Bryant's.

It was my longtime go-to, but the past few times I've taken guests, it's been disappointing (and portions have decreased). The sauce is by far the best, though. I will get Joe's orders to go and eat them at home with Bryant's original sauce.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM

5,171 posts, read 2,854,294 times
I love the burnt ends on a bun from Gate's. They are real burnt ends and not pieces of pork with a little bit of char on the outside.

The brisket from Bryant's is pretty good. It's thick and juicy. However, the food is VERY inconsistent.

I like Joe's because it's always good and consistent, but the atmosphere feels very corporate/chain-style. Even their gas station location is starting to feel that way.

Plowboys in Blue Springs had pretty good food. But I've only been there one time.

Jack Stack's is okay, but really overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City