U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,144,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If that's the attitude you have, why would Johnson County/Kansas WANT to "cooperate" with KCMO?
Because they would not exist and won't survive without urban KCMO. Take a look at inner ring suburbs in St Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc. Or even look at the decay that's occurring in Northern JoCo. The flip side, is that without JoCo, KC would essentially be Oklahoma City (or maybe Omaha, which doesn't sound so bad). The point being, cities have suburbs, suburbs don't exist in a vacuum, and the failure of central cities, contrary to what you imagine, is not a boon to suburbs. Quite the opposite.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
We need a mod like some of the other forums have who steps in and doesn't allow the constant bashing and attacks to happen.
Instead we have a non-resident who seems to be most concerned with a silly crusade to prove KC is not in the "real" Midwest.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 AM

705 posts, read 822,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Instead we have a non-resident who seems to be most concerned with a silly crusade to prove KC is not in the "real" Midwest.
I know another member agrees with me as well from a rep comment, but I don't want to throw them under the buss unless they choose to make their opinion public. The Colorado board has a mod who doesn't allow the Boulder haters to do what happens here, try as they might. I'm not far enough into a multi page Birmingham Retail thread to know whether their mod ever stepped in to stop a couple members going back and forth claiming everything they disagree with to be false in a similar fashion to what happens here in the KC Forums. Instead, bickering is seemingly encourages and threads are only ever locked at random. Arguments in the KS forums are also being instigated by people who should be trying to keep the forums a pleasant place instead of occasionally checking in to essentially encourage a KS-MO war that spans two separate boards (With mostly anti Kansas comments to boot)! I've also essentially been told that I don't know anything about my own hometown and full time residence of 19 years (birth through graduation) by this person numerous times since I've joined City Data, so after awhile I can't take them seriously. They can feel free to call me out for bringing these issues up, but the plain fact is that these boards aren't being moderated adequately by an impartial party who doesn't feed the flames.

With all of this spelling and grammar bickering going on, someone should call out all of the awful things voice texting and auto correct did to my first post in this thread . I'm heading to KC this weekend (Lawrence-Leavenworth-Atchison-St. Joe-JoCo) for school related stuff and had planned on going to Winstead's on The Plaza, but after seeing the news about what happened there recently, and knowing that the only time I could get down there is in the late evening, I think I'll head to the one by Von Maur in Overland Park instead.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
^ What happened at Winstead's? You are seriously afraid to go to the plaza during the evening? If so, this is just stuff I can not comprehend I guess. I would never think twice about going to Winsteads for dinner. I guess I just don't get the fear factor of going to the plaza.

I mean, if I watched the news and avoided areas when something happened after it was on the news, I would never go to anyplace in urban DC or Baltimore, ever. I would never leave my house because stuff has happened in suburban malls and what not too.

And the reason people are anti Kansas is because Kansas in the aggressor with all this poaching in the metro area. Kansas is also the side of the city that has the least interest in regional cooperation for transit, culture, stadiums, really anything. That doesn't bother Kansans. I know.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:56 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Because they would not exist and won't survive without urban KCMO. Take a look at inner ring suburbs in St Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc. Or even look at the decay that's occurring in Northern JoCo. The flip side, is that without JoCo, KC would essentially be Oklahoma City (or maybe Omaha, which doesn't sound so bad). The point being, cities have suburbs, suburbs don't exist in a vacuum, and the failure of central cities, contrary to what you imagine, is not a boon to suburbs. Quite the opposite.
Johnson County seems quite self sufficient to me. JoCo was thriving when urban KCMO was DEAD.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:00 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ What happened at Winstead's? .
More armed robbery, just like I have been saying has been happening in that area.

The Plaza Winstead's is ghetto anyway. The one in Leawood that empires228 mentions is much nicer, and you don't have to worry about being accosted. The fact that they have to have off-duty officers standing at the door of the Plaza Winstead's should tell you something.

Group of teens swarm theology students in violent attempted robbery outside Winstead’s near Plaza | fox4kc.com

Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
More armed robbery, just like I have been saying has been happening in that area.

The Plaza Winstead's is ghetto anyway. The one in Leawood that empires228 mentions is much nicer, and you don't have to worry about being accosted. The fact that they have to have off-duty officers standing at the door of the Plaza Winstead's should tell you something.

Group of teens swarm theology students in violent attempted robbery outside Winstead’s near Plaza | fox4kc.com
First, to be an "armed robbery", there has to be a weapon involved. Which there wasn't. Words have meaning.

Second, go to whatever Winstead's you feel comfortable with or are close to, they are all delicious. I go to the Plaza Winsteads probably weekly, but even I can understand why there is cause for concern. It's not going to stop me, but large groups of young, idle people can get dangerous and that's just a fact. You are way, way less likely to be bothered at any other Winstead's in the metro. I think it's pretty reasonable to say there is good reason to be aware and cautious in that northeast corner of the Plaza after dark, especially on weekends.

That said, part of the reason crime occurs there is because that's where people are. And the reason people are there is because that's where they want to be. On the Plaza. There's nothing 'ghetto' about that Winstead's, the food is exactly the same as every other Winsteads, it's just as clean, the service is the same. The difference is that way more people eat there than any other Winsteads. And the reason why is way more people go to the Plaza than go to Leawood. And the reason why is it's way better.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Johnson County seems quite self sufficient to me. JoCo was thriving when urban KCMO was DEAD.
Yes, but often how things seem to you is pretty divorced from the reality of how things are. There's a reason why Johnson County is adjacent to KC and not Wichita, Topeka or Salina. And there's a reason why every suburb in America like JoCo is adjacent to a city like KC. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but there are no suburbs of nowhere.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:

I was just there about a 2 months ago. I ate dinner with my parents at that Winsteads for the first time in years. I can not for one second think of one reason why anybody would call that place "ghetto". You would have to be one sheltered person to think that and no true Kansas Citian would ever claim such a thing because it's a really nice area with normal people there.

It's unfortunate that happened to those kids and I hope someday they get what is coming to them, but crimes do happen and like I said, I wouldn't be able to go anywhere if I avoided every urban area that has had things like that happen. I would go back to that location no problem. I might be a little more cautious of my surroundings, but I'm typically pretty aware anyway in urban areas. You can't live in fear.

That same night, you wouldn't believe what we did. We had coffee, outside at the starbucks on 44th and Main Street at near midnight. I bet you can't even comprehend the risk we took doing that can you?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM

684 posts, read 581,817 times
Far from "Ghetto". Paul's Drive In is located within Ruskin Heights of all places, and I'd still never call it ghetto. Nor will it ever be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or