U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM
 
48,915 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Reputation: 30559

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
If you look at the top of your page you'll see "U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City" then you look at the forum and you see a bunch of delusional people posting about why Kansas is better than Missouri and that is about 90% of all of the posts they make. Why not go on to your own thread because if you click on Kansas, they only have a thread for Wichita. You should have somewhere to discuss your suburbs and their happenings.

No one on the Mo side cares about what's happening on the Kansas side and it would be awesome if they could go do their thing instead of leeching off of yet another thing with Missouri's name on it.
Going down in order there are these two....

Sam Brownback and KS Commerce sending mass emails to MO Orgs

So, where else for Kansas to film commercials, than in Missouri.

Then there is a locked thread by MOKAN and then two from KCMO about the schliterbahn and KS teachers.

So there are 5 on the first page and at least 4 were started by regular MO fans and forum posters.

Are you requesting that MO posters just stop making threads like that which then attract KS posters that wish to offer opposing views?

Because otherwise your premise doesn't make much sense.

 
Old 08-31-2016, 12:00 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,661 posts, read 5,643,038 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I know another member agrees with me as well from a rep comment, but I don't want to throw them under the buss unless they choose to make their opinion public. The Colorado board has a mod who doesn't allow the Boulder haters to do what happens here, try as they might. I'm not far enough into a multi page Birmingham Retail thread to know whether their mod ever stepped in to stop a couple members going back and forth claiming everything they disagree with to be false in a similar fashion to what happens here in the KC Forums. Instead, bickering is seemingly encourages and threads are only ever locked at random. Arguments in the KS forums are also being instigated by people who should be trying to keep the forums a pleasant place instead of occasionally checking in to essentially encourage a KS-MO war that spans two separate boards (With mostly anti Kansas comments to boot)! I've also essentially been told that I don't know anything about my own hometown and full time residence of 19 years (birth through graduation) by this person numerous times since I've joined City Data, so after awhile I can't take them seriously. They can feel free to call me out for bringing these issues up, but the plain fact is that these boards aren't being moderated adequately by an impartial party who doesn't feed the flames.


With all of this spelling and grammar bickering going on, someone should call out all of the awful things voice texting and auto correct did to my first post in this thread . I'm heading to KC this weekend (Lawrence-Leavenworth-Atchison-St. Joe-JoCo) for school related stuff and had planned on going to Winstead's on The Plaza, but after seeing the news about what happened there recently, and knowing that the only time I could get down there is in the late evening, I think I'll head to the one by Von Maur in Overland Park instead.
That is, indeed, a fact. I wonder if the other poster you refer to was me.

I'm making an exception with this post, as I have ceased to post in the Kansas/KC forums until something is done about it. I've made my position clear to the powers-that-be on numerous occasions over many years....sadly to no avail. These forums were hijacked 9 years ago for an alternative sociopolitical agenda that never has and never will serve any constructive purpose whatsoever and thus these forums have long been of next to no value for their intended purpose. It is difficult to believe it has gone on for as long as it has and even more difficult to understand why. But it has.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 08-31-2016 at 12:12 PM..
 
Old 08-31-2016, 12:24 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Johnson County seems quite self sufficient to me. JoCo was thriving when urban KCMO was DEAD.
Honest question for you. Let's say there was some bizarre kind of rapture, and all development on the Missouri side of the metro just vanished overnight - turned into wheat fields with no warning at all. The jobs, the people, the buildings... just gone. Do you believe Johnson County would roll on just fine? JoCo people working Missouri jobs would just take the place of Missouri people who'd been working JoCo jobs, and the county would continue to prosper?

There are two ways to define self-sufficiency. If you mean that most Johnson Countians can successfully live their lives without ever setting foot in Missouri, you'd be right. But if you mean that Johnson County can succeed and grow as a community without the influence of the Missouri side, you'd be dead wrong, and you wouldn't be able to point to a single city in the country as an example to prove your point.

Lastly, you say KCMO was DEAD. What on God's green earth is the evidence for such a claim? Yes, there were some dark days in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But you have huge swaths of KCMO that chugged along nicely the entire time. Downtown KCMO was an economic powerhouse during all three of those decades, even if it was rough around the edges, and scary at night. (The same could be said of Manhattan, NY for that time period. Would you call that DEAD?) And then you have lively Westport and the Plaza, plus multiple gorgeous and popular neighborhoods from there to Brookside.

Without even making the argument that Johnson County is to blame for KCMO's decline, there is no justification whatsoever for saying that urban KCMO was ever "DEAD". What a bald-faced hyperbole.

P.S. I think I'm starting to figure you out. Everything in the world comes down to crime and public education. If a place has more crime than Mayberry, and lower quality education than West Point, it is a no-man's-land to you. Throw in a few parking garages or panhandlers, and you're talking full blown hell-hole.

Note: I'm not saying the public education and crime situations in KCMO aren't an issue. It's just that you don't appear to have a tolerance for even the slightest hiccup in either area.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Reputation: 5415
^ great post rwiksell
 
Old 08-31-2016, 12:50 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Reputation: 14105
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yes, but often how things seem to you is pretty divorced from the reality of how things are. There's a reason why Johnson County is adjacent to KC and not Wichita, Topeka or Salina. And there's a reason why every suburb in America like JoCo is adjacent to a city like KC. Maybe you hadn't noticed, but there are no suburbs of nowhere.
But in this case I'm 100% right. Downtown KC was an uninhabited wasteland, nothing going on there, and Johnson County was thriving.


But feel free to continue to try to deflect attention from that since it doesn't fit your mantra.


The reason THAT Johnson County was able to flourish in the absence of any real core city is we really don't gain anything from KCMO. Once the migration begins and people move to new areas, those areas are quite capable of standing on their own. There is nothing Johnson County needs from KCMO. If people want to begin moving back to the urban core, let them. Urban KCMO just existing does nothing to help or hurt Johnson County.


There are no suburbs of nowhere, but there is urban blight and there are empty urban cores that are no longer functioning and people have moved out from the urban core to suburbs. The population might have started at the urban core; doesn't mean it has to stay there or that the suburbs would cease to exist if the urban core deteriorated to nothingness, which downtown KC practically did before it was "revitalized."
 
Old 08-31-2016, 02:06 PM
 
80 posts, read 69,903 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But in this case I'm 100% right. Downtown KC was an uninhabited wasteland, nothing going on there, and Johnson County was thriving.


But feel free to continue to try to deflect attention from that since it doesn't fit your mantra.


The reason THAT Johnson County was able to flourish in the absence of any real core city is we really don't gain anything from KCMO. Once the migration begins and people move to new areas, those areas are quite capable of standing on their own. There is nothing Johnson County needs from KCMO. If people want to begin moving back to the urban core, let them. Urban KCMO just existing does nothing to help or hurt Johnson County.


There are no suburbs of nowhere, but there is urban blight and there are empty urban cores that are no longer functioning and people have moved out from the urban core to suburbs. The population might have started at the urban core; doesn't mean it has to stay there or that the suburbs would cease to exist if the urban core deteriorated to nothingness, which downtown KC practically did before it was "revitalized."
At this point, I don't think it's worth to even have a discussion with you anymore. Not sure if you are in denial or just being vindictive. Either way, you just believe what you will even though it makes no sense. Frankly you are one of a kind because many other JoCo/Kansas boosters on this forum do realize that some of the things Kansas leaders do could have done differently, but nope not you. Keep believing that JoCo does not need the airport, the regional point of attractions (professional sports, museums, aquarium, amusement parks), the plaza, etc.... things that only exist in KCMO right now, such that JoCo would not be impacted had KCMO been suddenly wiped away.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 02:16 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Reputation: 14105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
At this point, I don't think it's worth to even have a discussion with you anymore. Not sure if you are in denial or just being vindictive. Either way, you just believe what you will even though it makes no sense. Frankly you are one of a kind because many other JoCo/Kansas boosters on this forum do realize that some of the things Kansas leaders do could have done differently, but nope not you. Keep believing that JoCo does not need the airport, the regional point of attractions (professional sports, museums, aquarium, amusement parks), the plaza, etc.... things that only exist in KCMO right now, such that JoCo would not be impacted had KCMO been suddenly wiped away.
In red: And vice versa.


And there are lots of people who think like I do, and people on the Missouri side who don't think we need a new airport. Why would Johnson County "need" any of the things you mention? They don't need them any more than you need Kansas Speedway and Sporting KC and Deanna Rose.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh PA
402 posts, read 300,573 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But in this case I'm 100% right. Downtown KC was an uninhabited wasteland, nothing going on there, and Johnson County was thriving.


But feel free to continue to try to deflect attention from that since it doesn't fit your mantra.


The reason THAT Johnson County was able to flourish in the absence of any real core city is we really don't gain anything from KCMO. Once the migration begins and people move to new areas, those areas are quite capable of standing on their own. There is nothing Johnson County needs from KCMO. If people want to begin moving back to the urban core, let them. Urban KCMO just existing does nothing to help or hurt Johnson County.


There are no suburbs of nowhere, but there is urban blight and there are empty urban cores that are no longer functioning and people have moved out from the urban core to suburbs. The population might have started at the urban core; doesn't mean it has to stay there or that the suburbs would cease to exist if the urban core deteriorated to nothingness, which downtown KC practically did before it was "revitalized."
You are nuts man. Downtown was an uninhabited wasteland and now the plaza is ghetto? Neither is true. Why do you post in the KC forums?
 
Old 08-31-2016, 02:57 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Reputation: 14105
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
You are nuts man. Downtown was an uninhabited wasteland and now the plaza is ghetto? Neither is true. Why do you post in the KC forums?
I didn't say the Plaza is ghetto. I said that Winstead's near the Plaza is ghetto.


And perhaps you don't remember it, but there was a time when no one lived downtown and no one went downtown.


Why do you post? Just to tell people who disagree with you they are nuts? Maybe you are the one who is nuts.
 
Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 984,056 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But in this case I'm 100% right. Downtown KC was an uninhabited wasteland, nothing going on there, and Johnson County was thriving.
I could have quoted so much more from you, but I'll just stick with this.

Uninhabited wasteland? Really? Why don't you say something that's less obviously and demonstrably false? There were thousands and thousands of more jobs in downtown KC in the 70s-90s than there are now. And to say no one went downtown, even though the metro's primary convention and event spaces have been there all along? I just don't even know where to start in countering this mindless argument of yours. There's too much.

If anyone else on this forum agrees with you, and wants to see the evidence for Downtown KCMO being an economic engine, I will provide it. But I'm not going to waste my time if you're the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top