U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 PM

705 posts, read 823,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...ncentives.html

Here is a "small jab". Even the KC Business Journal is obviously annoyed by these issues, and they have even stated in their articles that nobody cares when the bring up these topics. It's crazy that when people like me bring this stuff up, it's calling trolling or starting flame wars when this is a topic that every person in metro KC SHOULD be pretty upset about. What whatever. I'll keep talking about it. Sorry.
I don't know anything about Triumph, but I won't stop defending the DFA since their new plant in Kansas was tied to Kansas helping them move their headquarter over. Corporate welfare is a culture in KC. Doesn't KCMO have two upscale hotels that are trying to declare themselves blighted. Because they're not willing to pay for their own maintanence in a market that gives out welfare to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I don't know anything about Triumph, but I won't stop defending the DFA since their new plant in Kansas was tied to Kansas helping them move their headquarter over. Corporate welfare is a culture in KC. Doesn't KCMO have two upscale hotels that are trying to declare themselves blighted. Because they're not willing to pay for their own maintanence in a market that gives out welfare to everything.
It's just wrong that the gov of Kansas keeps calling these press conferences to talk about new jobs the state is attracting when he is not mentioning that fact that the jobs are already in the metro nor is the state releasing details on just how much poaching those jobs are costing tax payers (KS often goes way beyond "normal" incentives to attract jobs).

I personally thought the city giving intercontinental hotel on the plaza incentives was a terrible idea and would set a really bad precedent. Sure enough, the same day KCMO passed that, the Marriott on the Plaza hinted at asking for a similar incentive. The Downtown Marriott has already been subsidized enough and hotels like that have plenty of corporate money to remodel without city money. They do it all the time.

KC has to at some point turn off the spigot. The proposed downtown convention hyatt hotel is something those types of incentives should be reserved for. New construction hotels with a lot of ballroom space are not practical to build in a market like KC without some help, but it's worth the investment. That hotel will grow the entire hotel market in KC, indirectly helping hotels like the Marriott and those hotels have already stated that. Even the big Crown Center hotels have stated a big new convention hotel will ultimately help them. Without city help, the Hyatt would never happen and KC's convention industry would remain flat. But giving incentives to every hotel in the city? Yep, pretty stupid and another reason why KC has ridiculously high sales taxes and no room to use sales taxes as funding for other things like transit.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:23 PM

172 posts, read 98,582 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...nsas-city.html

I'll just leave this here, and no, I'm not trying to start a flame war. It's quite telling that Sam is on a mission to win Kansas City. To this I say, what exactly is Kansas trying to win? Jobs? Even if these jobs came from another state besides Missouri, how does this actually help Kansas in any meaningful way?

Old 10-05-2016, 12:27 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Be careful nycrite. You are just trash talking. People on this forum do not want to discuss that topic .

Old 10-05-2016, 02:55 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
We all know whatever Brownback says the opposite is true. Of course when you conduct an experiment that leads to widespread failures you have to further delude the public. Most people caught on long ago that is a mouthpiece for the Koch brothers.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's just wrong that the gov of Kansas keeps calling these press conferences to talk about new jobs the state is attracting when he is not mentioning that fact that the jobs are already in the metro nor is the state releasing details on just how much poaching those jobs are costing tax payers (KS often goes way beyond "normal" incentives to attract jobs).

I personally thought the city giving intercontinental hotel on the plaza incentives was a terrible idea and would set a really bad precedent. Sure enough, the same day KCMO passed that, the Marriott on the Plaza hinted at asking for a similar incentive. The Downtown Marriott has already been subsidized enough and hotels like that have plenty of corporate money to remodel without city money. They do it all the time.

KC has to at some point turn off the spigot. The proposed downtown convention hyatt hotel is something those types of incentives should be reserved for. New construction hotels with a lot of ballroom space are not practical to build in a market like KC without some help, but it's worth the investment. That hotel will grow the entire hotel market in KC, indirectly helping hotels like the Marriott and those hotels have already stated that. Even the big Crown Center hotels have stated a big new convention hotel will ultimately help them. Without city help, the Hyatt would never happen and KC's convention industry would remain flat. But giving incentives to every hotel in the city? Yep, pretty stupid and another reason why KC has ridiculously high sales taxes and no room to use sales taxes as funding for other things like transit.
I'm not against them using incentives to get the downtown Hyatt-Convention Center built at all. I think that project is a great idea that benefits the entire metro because people attending conventions tend to shop and eat when they visit a city, and that benefits The Plaza, Independence Center, Downtown shops and dining, Westport, Crown Center, Oak Park Mall, etc. The downtown Marriott situation on the other hand is a disaster and will further open the floodgates. I know you didn't bring them up, but just remember that I've told you that I do not support Kansas poaching AMC in the least, nor did I support the whole Applebee's fiasco that ended with them leaving anyways. More companies need to stand their ground like Hallmark and Russell Stover have. It's obvious that they're happy where they are in KCMO and still employ a large number of Kansans within and outside of the metro.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:04 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,772,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
We all know whatever Brownback says the opposite is true. Of course when you conduct an experiment that leads to widespread failures you have to further delude the public. Most people caught on long ago that is a mouthpiece for the Koch brothers.
Maybe I misread them, but something tells me the Koch brothers wouldn't be too keen on states gutting their treasuries to lure companies to them from another state - and even less keen on doing this when the state line is simply a cartographer's device drawn through the middle of a single metropolitan area.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,772,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I'm not against them using incentives to get the downtown Hyatt-Convention Center built at all. I think that project is a great idea that benefits the entire metro because people attending conventions tend to shop and eat when they visit a city, and that benefits The Plaza, Independence Center, Downtown shops and dining, Westport, Crown Center, Oak Park Mall, etc. The downtown Marriott situation on the other hand is a disaster and will further open the floodgates. I know you didn't bring them up, but just remember that I've told you that I do not support Kansas poaching AMC in the least, nor did I support the whole Applebee's fiasco that ended with them leaving anyways. More companies need to stand their ground like Hallmark and Russell Stover have. It's obvious that they're happy where they are in KCMO and still employ a large number of Kansans within and outside of the metro.
Do the Ward brothers have any say in Russell Stover's operations anymore?

(Tom Ward [PCD '76] is a classmate of mine.)

If not, then it's nice to know that the folks at Lindt still run it as though the Wards owned it.

Edited to add: And FWIW, Tom Ward lives in ZIP code 66208.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Do the Ward brothers have any say in Russell Stover's operations anymore?

(Tom Ward [PCD '76] is a classmate of mine.)

If not, then it's nice to know that the folks at Lindt still run it as though the Wards owned it.

Edited to add: And FWIW, Tom Ward lives in ZIP code 66208.
You can bet that Kansas has tried to move Hallmark and Russell Stover over, though! RS does employee quite a few people in rural Kansas though the two distribution facilities and the retail outlets in JoCo/WyCo. Hallmark has a nice presence in Lawrence too... It's too bad that part of Lawrence's economy is tied to two poor performing companies in the Hallmark Plant and the Kmart Distribution Center. Menards was supposed to build a factory there, but after doing some research, it looks like the plant was poached by metro St. Louis... Menards has been really flaky when it comes to NE Kansas and KC so I wouldn't be surprised, though it's confusing because their Wichita, Manhattan, Garden City, and Salina stores are always packed.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:19 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I personally like the KC airport. I can see how improvements could be made but it's easy to get in and out of and is pretty functional.
I am completely cool with the airport.

I went to pick up my husband, whose flight came in at quarter to midnight on Monday, and we were home with our sleeping baby by 12:20, counting getting his baggage, getting to the car, driving back to NE JoCo, and unloading.

He travels a lot for military stuff, and it being a quick in and out is pretty key to our quality of life. I spent most of my life with the hell that is O'Hare, and I will take "easy to get in and out of quickly" ANY day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or