U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 AM

402 posts, read 300,573 times

Advertisements

Not much going in KC? Have they started the big Hyatt hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:34 PM

290 posts, read 230,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Not much going in KC? Have they started the big Hyatt hotel?
I can't say why it's dead. It ebbs and flows to say the least. No, it's still finishing up the financing side of things from what I can tell.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 PM

35,819 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I can't imagine what might deter people from posting here.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 AM

172 posts, read 98,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know. Isn't this forum about due for a mudslinging event between JoCo and KCMO?

Old 09-28-2016, 12:49 PM

7,661 posts, read 5,643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Though we have often disagreed, I've always enjoyed your sharp wit.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:10 AM

3,663 posts, read 1,772,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
I don't know. Isn't this forum about due for a mudslinging event between JoCo and KCMO?
Didn't I give it one last month?

Old 10-01-2016, 08:06 PM

48,920 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
Actually, I'm kinda hoping we've learned and moved past that. The KS forum is equally quiet.

I will go start a thread in the forum, feel free to contribute.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:41 PM

705 posts, read 823,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, I'm kinda hoping we've learned and moved past that. The KS forum is equally quiet.

I will go start a thread in the forum, feel free to contribute.
It's because of the same reason the KC forum has been quiet. There's a notable lack of people trying to start a MO vs KS thread war. I like the overall absence of unnecessary mudslinging and backlash responses going on at the moment,

Old 10-03-2016, 02:24 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
I'm one of the biggest posters here and till this past week, have not been posting much the past several months.

Most of my posts are development related, some of which (poaching etc) do turn into KS vs MO threads, but there have not been any notable bistate poaches lately which is a good thing, but little office construction seems to happen in KC unless a company jumps state line.

Honestly, KC has been very quiet most of the year when it comes to development. Even many of the projects in my development threads are delayed or canceled or are not getting past concept. There are like two tower cranes up in the entire metro area and few signs of anything major starting for at least a year. The airport terminal has been put on the back burner, the streetcar extension votes delayed a year.

KC has a few nice projects, but overall, things seem a little slow for the momentum the city seemed to have a year ago.

Hopefully things rebound and KC gets things going again. There seems to still be a serious lack of long term development and planning discussion in KC on any level though. I mean, the airport, capping 670 with a park, bringing companies back downtown, building a regional trail network, convention hotels, regional transit (other than 2 miles of streetcar) etc all seem to move very slow or are barely being discussed by regional planners and leaders when these things take many years to implement.

I take that back the city is trying to get the convention hotel built (I'll give it about 50/50 chance of still happening), but most other things the city should be in serious planning/implementation stages in are just not happening (ie regional transit, airport, recreation, business community ignoring urban core etc). and it doesn't help when the most of the few developments that are proposed for the urban core are often killed by residents opposition for one reason or another.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-03-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 10:50 PM

3,663 posts, read 1,772,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I take that back the city is trying to get the convention hotel built (I'll give it about 50/50 chance of still happening), but most other things the city should be in serious planning/implementation stages in are just not happening (ie regional transit, airport, recreation, business community ignoring urban core etc). and it doesn't help when the most of the few developments that are proposed for the urban core are often killed by residents opposition for one reason or another.
The airport is stalled because, even though City Hall is at least on board with the idea of replacing the current facility with a single terminal in principle, the citizenry raises a hue and cry whenever City Hall says it's time to proceed.

I had the enviable pleasure of flying into and out of KCI weekend before last.

I understand why the locals still like it: for terminating passengers, it's real convenient to be able to walk off the plane, pick up your bags a few feet away, and walk out the nearest door to grab your ride, or the shuttle bus to the economy parking, or whatever.

Unfortunately, we put in all this security theater after 9/11, and this airport is all wrong for that. Maybe were its concourses a little wider, like at D/FW, the only other drive-to-your-gate airport ever built, it might function better internally, and maybe even work for transferring passengers. But they're not, and it doesn't. Most of the gate groups have no services or amenities once past the security checkpoints - not even restrooms. Checking baggage at the ticket counters means dropping them in a pile next to a harried baggage clerk with too little room to handle the flood into the scanners.

But Gosh-darn-it, we love our drive-to-your-gate airport and don't want to give it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or