U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 04:43 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
If the MO side cultural and entertainment attractions are high priority, then it might make sense to stay north of 435, maybe even east of state line. Personally, for $400k, I'd much rather have an all brick ranch between 83rd and 103rd than a board and batten mcmansion down in south OP built in 1998. That all comes down to personal taste. ]
Cosign.

The housing stock and general neighborhood atmosphere north of 435 in Leawood is much more my taste than the developments south of the 435 loop. But, taste is subjective and the stuff south of 435 is obviously quite a lot of people's taste. OP would really be well-served to drive around and get a feel, if possible, because it's ultimately going to come down to personal taste and what neighborhood feel one wants, if that's even a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 PM

172 posts, read 98,498 times
There were times I thought this would go all KS vs MO. Instead, it remained civil and on-topic. Well done.

I agree that old or new leawood is the best bet. Many here will prefer old, but either will be nice at $450k. I like some of the renovated ranches around 98th & Mission. That's what I'll suggest, just to be different.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:30 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
There were times I thought this would go all KS vs MO. Instead, it remained civil and on-topic. Well done.

I agree that old or new leawood is the best bet. Many here will prefer old, but either will be nice at $450k. I like some of the renovated ranches around 98th & Mission. That's what I'll suggest, just to be different.
Instead it went Old JoCo vs. New JoCo. But you're right, it stayed civil. Hooray for us!

Still, I would strongly advise the OP to ignore the advice of those who assume they know what he wants, without actually reading his words.

And above all, follow the advice of those who say "look around and see for yourself". That means look everywhere that's within a reasonable commute for your wife. Don't limit yourself.

P.S. I recommend driving around in rush-hour traffic a bit. No doubt she is very sick of the Southern California commute, but she may find that 20 minutes in Kansas City "rush hour traffic" is like a day at the spa (by comparison).

Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 AM

705 posts, read 822,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Blues View Post
In our research of the area, we have learned that a lot of the culture and entertainment we are interested in is on the Missouri side, and it is something we considered, in spite of the extra tax complications. Ultimately what is keeping us on the Kansas side is my wife's strong desire to be very close to her work. She is so done with long commutes

Speaking of culture and entertainment, while I'm not a face painter, I am an enthusiastic football fan. Do people on the Kansas side tend to be Chiefs and Royals fans?
The nice thing about KC is that you can live anywhere in the metro and still easily take advantage of the cultural amenities. I've had family live near the airport and friends near Bass Pro in Olathe and it never once hindered them from going to the plaza, royals game, symphony, speedway, zoo, etc. I suggest you follow some of the more recent post and look in Leawood north of 435 or even in the Prarie Village/Mission Hills area as that would put you closer to The Plaza and Westport without sacrificing your wife's commute. Older Leawood also isn't that far from any shopping with Ward Parkway Center (Trader Joe's, Target, AMC Theatre, Old Navy), Oak Park Mall (JCP, Dillard's, Macy's, Target, Nordstrom), and the Prarie Village Macy's all being fairly close.

People on both sides of the state line tend to support the local teams .

Old 10-03-2016, 05:15 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
As someone who has lived north of 435 (Prairie Village) for 30 years, I still say new Leawood/south Overland Park is better. Why make the OP's wife's commute any longer than it has to be? That is a wonderful area to live and it's still easy to get to the Plaza and anywhere else they want to go. She will be commuting every day. Might as well be close to home since it's such a great area, and then when they do want to go somewhere it's not a big deal to get there.

Part of the reason I say that is that the homes I have been in look fine from the outside, but inside are so dated. I'm always surprised by that. Maybe I just happen to be in homes that haven't been remodeled or kept up to date. My home in PV is probably about the same age (50+ years old), but we have updated it through the years. But I can't see buying a home and then having to renovate it to be something I would want to live in. Also, I know from my own experience that while maybe the construction is sturdier in older homes (though $450,000 homes tend to be well built), when a house ages you have electrical and plumbing issues, foundation issues, etc. We have rewired our entire house and replaced a lot of the plumbing. We have completely remodeled almost everything in the house - kitchen, baths, bedrooms, living room. We've finished the basement. We've redone the landscaping, the porch, the driveway. But it's still an older house. If I bought another house now, I would buy a newer house that didn't need anything done to it. One with a nice modern kitchen and bathrooms. And a laundry room that's not in the basement!

But again, it all depends what the OP is looking for. I have a feeling that coming from California, south Leawood/south Overland Park will appeal to them. I could be wrong.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As someone who has lived north of 435 (Prairie Village) for 30 years, I still say new Leawood/south Overland Park is better. Why make the OP's wife's commute any longer than it has to be?
We don't have any hint that his wife's workplace will be closer to South Overland Park or Leawood. All we know is that it's near 435. Read for comprehension.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
We don't have any hint that his wife's workplace will be closer to South Overland Park or Leawood. All we know is that it's near 435. Read for comprehension.
You might follow your own advice and while you are at it, stop dogging my every post. I have purposely avoided responding to you.

The OP said "Her office is just south of the 435 and very close to Leawood."

Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You might follow your own advice and while you are at it, stop dogging my every post. I have purposely avoided responding to you.

The OP said "Her office is just south of the 435 and very close to Leawood."
Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't dog you personally. I dog every post that makes assumptions about the Original Poster's preferences or situation, especially when it skews toward JoCo, or in this case, Blue Valley.

"Just south" of 435 doesn't tell us anything about commute times to the northern or southern portions of Leawood. It's probably referring to College St.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't dog you personally. I dog every post that makes assumptions about the Original Poster's preferences or situation, especially when it skews toward JoCo, or in this case, Blue Valley.

"Just south" of 435 doesn't tell us anything about commute times to the northern or southern portions of Leawood. It's probably referring to College St.
It's College Boulevard, not College Street, and he said it is very close to Leawood. All of Leawood, north and south, is close to 435. 435 is already at about 110th St. (College Boulevard) so traveling to 119th or 127th or 143rd is no different than traveling 10 or 20 or 30 blocks north and in fact the commute is probably easier from south than from north. Ifthe OP's wife is working just south of 435, near Leawood, and wants a short commute, then living in Leawood or South Overland Park is a no-brainer. Add to that the fact that the OP mentioned that Leawood looks nice and that the wife's job would be in Overland Park, again, south of 435. That again places you in South Overland Park or Leawood if you want a short commute.You are purposely trying to be argumentative. And I will not respond to any more of your baiting.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
It's College Boulevard, not College Street, and he said it is very close to Leawood. All of Leawood, north and south, is close to 435. 435 is already at about 110th St. (College Boulevard) so traveling to 119th or 127th or 143rd is no different than traveling 10 or 20 or 30 blocks north and in fact the commute is probably easier from south than from north. Ifthe OP's wife is working just south of 435, near Leawood, and wants a short commute, then living in Leawood or South Overland Park is a no-brainer. Add to that the fact that the OP mentioned that Leawood looks nice and that the wife's job would be in Overland Park, again, south of 435. That again places you in South Overland Park or Leawood if you want a short commute.You are purposely trying to be argumentative. And I will not respond to any more of your baiting.
OK, fine. I'll have the last word.

First, you're right about one thing. It's called College Boulevard, that was a slip on my part. I've driven up and down it hundreds of times, so I should have known better.

Since we don't know the exact location of her workplace, we might as well leave the "commute times" question alone, whenever the differential is less than 5 minutes. And that is what we're talking about whenever we compare north Leawood (or Prairie Village) to south Leawood.

I don't actually like to be argumentative, for the record. I, like everyone on this forum, like to be right. And it's fine if you don't respond, or even if you don't read my posts very well. Because this isn't a private message; it's a forum. And comments are meant for public, not private, consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or