Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:32 PM

14 posts, read 14,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrite View Post
I will reiterate that between 95th and 103rd / Mission and State Line, you'll find charming old and newly renovated ranch style homes.

Here's one such example that's absolutely stunning!

3315 W 98th St, Leawood, KS 66206 | MLS #2012807 | Zillow
Both my wife and I thought that was a really nice house. My wife prefers lighter wood floors, but that's the kind of house we'd be looking at. Just 7-8 months from now. Looks like that house was flipped, judging by the sale history. Wonder what it looked like before. You never know what kind of quality went into a flipped house.

Houses in my neighborhood go for almost twice what that house is selling for, but lots here are all house, with postage-stamp sized yards. That's California suburbia. I can't wait to leave it behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Blues View Post
It's right near that massive Sprint campus. We have our eye on the Leawood area. With many months to go it's still too early to start looking at houses, but it's good to get a idea of where to look. One thing we like about it is there seems to be some ranch style houses. We'd prefer a ranch because of my iffy knees (lol football). Either a ranch or a reverse 1.5 would be ideal.

A lot of the new construction reminds me of California (boo). Cookie cutter McMansions with no yards looking into each other's fenceless back yards. That's exactly what I want to leave behind. I want a nice private yard I can pay someone else to mow.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
From that location within 10 minutes you can easily get what you want.

Talk to your realtor and they should direct you to what you want in the area.

Depending on commuting time I live 10-15minutes away and I'm up in Lenexa!

Look around and good luck!

Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
It's right near that massive Sprint campus. We have our eye on the Leawood area. With many months to go it's still too early to start looking at houses, but it's good to get a idea of where to look. One thing we like about it is there seems to be some ranch style houses. We'd prefer a ranch because of my iffy knees (lol football). Either a ranch or a reverse 1.5 would be ideal.

A lot of the new construction reminds me of California (boo). Cookie cutter McMansions with no yards looking into each other's fenceless back yards. That's exactly what I want to leave behind. I want a nice private yard I can pay someone else to mow.

From that location within 10 minutes you can easily get what you want.

Talk to your realtor and they should direct you to what you want in the area.

Depending on commuting time I live 10-15minutes away and I'm up in Lenexa!

Look around and good luck!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,611 times
Quote:
Both my wife and I thought that was a really nice house. My wife prefers lighter wood floors, but that's the kind of house we'd be looking at. Just 7-8 months from now. Looks like that house was flipped, judging by the sale history. Wonder what it looked like before. You never know what kind of quality went into a flipped house.

Houses in my neighborhood go for almost twice what that house is selling for, but lots here are all house, with postage-stamp sized yards. That's California suburbia. I can't wait to leave it behind.
Suburban metro KC does have quite a few homes built between the 60's and the 90's that are horridly outdated. Olathe, Lenexa, and Prarie Village seem to hold the bulk of the homes suck in the 70's and 80's on the Kansas side. Overland park has a sizable number of homes built in the 90's that haven't been updated in 20 years because the homes still sell due to the good public schools. Maybe dated decor ranging from the 70's to the early 90's is just something that's "In" in KC... Metcalf South and Metro North were dated, The Landing is dated, Oak Park Mall, Crown Center, and Independence were dated for several years, Bannister Mall was dated, Antioch Mall was dated, KCI and the former Kmart at 95th and Metcalf are/were dated, More so than usual in Kmart's case, and even the KC/Lawrence Super Target stores all look like they did the day they opened as the first generation stores that they were.

If I could find a nice house like that one that has been posted that has already been updated, I'd jump on it. That home is beautiful and almost any home you buy in that area would be a good investment. It oddly enough looks to be the smallest home in that area.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

Yeah, there's quite a lot of the "massive house, no yard" thing going on in a lot of the more newly developed portions of suburbia, here (and it's an issue in some established suburbia as well, where teardowns of modest ranches and replacing them with oversized-for-the-lot McMansions has drawn fire at the local level), but there's quite a bit that's not like that, as well. Neighborhood suggestions others have made are good ones, given your likely taste in that regard.

We live in a split level, (side-by-side split) in NE Johnson County...built in 1977, updated nicely, and in an old, established neighborhood with a spacious, private back yard. It's perfect for us. I personally prefer more historic homes (was raised in an 1860s home), but we are in the wrong community for finding ones much older than 1940s, so, c'est la vie. We did live in a cool 1930s cottage that had been moved when a neighborhood in KCK was cleared for freeway expansion, but it was only about 900 square feet, and we outgrew it when our son was born a year ago. We recently sold it. It was super cool, though.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:47 PM

14 posts, read 14,298 times
Are those reverse 1.5s any good in case of tornado? Seems like if the tornado was coming from the right direction, the basement would offer little protection on the walk-out side.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:58 PM

Having lived in tornado alley all my life, and having gone through an F5 (not in KC, but in Minnesota), protection is pretty relative, no matter your basement configuration. Just being honest.

Tornados are actually fairly rare in KC, though. Tornado watches, not so much, but that's pretty standard midwest. You get used to it. This year, we've had a lot more damage from straight line winds, from trees with roots giving out after massive water deluge, than anything tornadic.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM

172 posts, read 154,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Having lived in tornado alley all my life, and having gone through an F5 (not in KC, but in Minnesota), protection is pretty relative, no matter your basement configuration. Just being honest.

Tornados are actually fairly rare in KC, though. Tornado watches, not so much, but that's pretty standard midwest. You get used to it. This year, we've had a lot more damage from straight line winds, from trees with roots giving out after massive water deluge, than anything tornadic.
A tornado is the worst-case scenario for KC, and yes, it's quite rare. Go west, moreover, southwest to Wichita, and it's a different story. Wichita is in a much higher risk section of tornado alley than KC.

Much more probable severe weather events include: large hail, localized flooding, and microbursts. These are not to be taken lightly, but they lack the overall devastation of a tornado. A basement won't help with hail or microbursts. It actually sucks to have a basement with localized flooding, since your basement can become a reservoir. I learned about my dead sump pump during a 5"/hour deluge a month or so ago. I also learned how to install a new sump pump...silver lining I suppose.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Yeah, that last downpour wasn't actually something our sump pump could keep up with. We didn't get much water, but enough to ruin one crate of books in storage.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Developers need to build more ranch and 1.5 story houses, there is a severe shortage of them in many areas of the country and demand is high. Why don't they? Profits, greed, and zoning for the most part... The McMansion trend is a passing fad as well, it's better to have a diverse housing supply stock. Yes, for woodsy suburban settings the corridor from 83rd to 103rd off Lee Blvd is outstanding. It reminds me of nice suburban areas of the eastern US with a plethora of street trees, larger lots and a plenty of big oak trees. It's too bad that couldn't develop the southern portions of Leawood the same way, but I guess some things change with time.
I agree. Especially with so many aging baby boomers, I think someone could make a fortune developing areas with one-level houses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City