U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:10 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Blues View Post
Are those reverse 1.5s any good in case of tornado? Seems like if the tornado was coming from the right direction, the basement would offer little protection on the walk-out side.
I've lived in the general KC area all my life and have never encountered a tornado. I've lived in my current home, with a walk-out basement, for 30 years. I can remember one time in that 30 years that we felt the need to actually go to the basement, and then only briefly.

There have been tornadoes in Kansas City, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Don't hunker down on the walk-out side. You would go to a place away from any doors or windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:53 AM

14 posts, read 9,306 times
On this forum and a couple others, people have suggested buying south of the 435. But we have seen a lot of great updated ranches just north of the 435 in Leawood. Is all of Leawood desirable, or does it come down to which side of the 435 it's on even in Leawood?

Old 12-20-2016, 08:11 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,705,954 times
I live south of 435 in Leawood and I will tell you the only reasons to choose south of 435 over north of 435 are the following (imo):
1) You have kids and you'd rather they attended Blue Valley schools than Shawnee Mission schools. There are tons of threads debating the pros and cons of each, but on balance BV seems to get the nod.
2) You like larger, newer-build, McMansion style houses.
3) You don't like living close to densely populated urban centers.

Fwiw, I was pushing hard for Westwood, Fairway, Prairie Village or Leawood north of 435 when my wife and I moved here. She won (in the end) and we bought south of 435. While I admit I like having extra square footage, if we had to do it all over again, I would push even harder for Westwood or Fairway. Leawood north of 435 in the areas you are (were?) considering is very nice and nothing to get buyers remorse over. All of Leawood is considered desirable if I am not mistaken. There's no downright crappy parts of Leawood I am aware of, but if there are I'd be interested to hear about it.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 9,165 times
I toured a couple of fantastic old Leawood ranches north of 435 today that are in the low-mid 400s. In my opinion it's all about your personality and what is your comfort. If I was personally going to move to Leawood I would definitely move north of 435. But I'm definitely more of an older homes, character type of girl. You honestly can't go wrong with Leawood in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 PM

34 posts, read 124,263 times
Default Old Leawood!

My family recently moved to Old Leawood (near 95th and mission) and we love our neighborhood. There has been a lot of turnover lately between folks in their 80's and young families. The mature trees are beautiful and give great shade during the summer. We enjoy going to Franklin park and soon there will be a new park where meadowbrook golf course use to be at 95th and roe! This new park will be the second largest park in Johnson county. We enjoy walking to the grocery store and restaurants in ranchmart and can also walk up to Corinth square to hit up even more restaurants. If you are looking for a option to brookside on the Kansas side I think old leawood is a great alternative. The geographic location is excellent that you can go just about anywhere in 15 minutes or less. Downtown is approximately 20 minutes away. Crime is almost non existent, which is a huge blessing compared to our previous home in KCMO proper. We moved into a older home that had some updates but still need more updates. If you any other question, please ask.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 9,306 times
How do people feel about Lenexa? We've been looking at a few developments in the area and it seems very nice. It seems a bit more rural, with lots of trees, which we like.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:43 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Blues View Post
How do people feel about Lenexa? We've been looking at a few developments in the area and it seems very nice. It seems a bit more rural, with lots of trees, which we like.
Lenexa is a landlocked city in Johnson County that is mostly built out with some newer growth in western annexed portions of the city. Yes, it is more scenic in the western portions of the city with more tree cover and parks than most of Johnson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or