U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 08:09 PM

48,963 posts, read 39,428,364 times

Advertisements

Me personally,

I love the statue of Lewis, Clark, York, Sacajawea (her baby) and even the dog Seaman that sits in the very northwest corner of the downtown overlooking the river.

Lots of great history there.

Also love the live music at 12 baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 12:02 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,516,721 times
I honestly can't really think of a whole lot. I just like walking around and taking in the architecture, especially the art deco buildings.

The one thing I can think of is I always liked going up to the open air observation deck on top of City Hall. Most people don't even know it's there. It's not as easy as it once was though. I used to just go up and hang out there at least one a month. You simply took the elevator up and were on your own, I would hike up the 31 flights of stairs once in a while. Now you have to go through a bunch of bull**** to get up there I think, but you can still get up there.

The other places I enjoyed hanging out are at Downtown airport (again back when you could actually sit on the levee without being hassled) and watch planes land and take off with the skyline as a backdrop. Also, messing around near the RR bridges watching the freight trains come across the ASB and Hannibal bridges. I also like watching the passenger and freight trains from the pedestrian bridge behind Union Station or other bridges over the KCT canyon.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 PM

48,963 posts, read 39,428,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I honestly can't really think of a whole lot. I just like walking around and taking in the architecture, especially the art deco buildings.

The one thing I can think of is I always liked going up to the open air observation deck on top of City Hall. Most people don't even know it's there. It's not as easy as it once was though. I used to just go up and hang out there at least one a month. You simply took the elevator up and were on your own, I would hike up the 31 flights of stairs once in a while. Now you have to go through a bunch of bull**** to get up there I think, but you can still get up there.

The other places I enjoyed hanging out are at Downtown airport (again back when you could actually sit on the levee without being hassled) and watch planes land and take off with the skyline as a backdrop. Also, messing around near the RR bridges watching the freight trains come across the ASB and Hannibal bridges. I also like watching the passenger and freight trains from the pedestrian bridge behind Union Station or other bridges over the KCT canyon.
Thanks, +1 for your post.

You have to understand that not all of us are locals with as much experience as you so what you take for granted many of us don't know.

I've given advice for Chicago for example like, don't pay for sears tower observation, take the money and have some food\drinks at the restaurant up at the top of John Hancock etc.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:30 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,516,721 times
Sears, Willis, whatever does have the better view though . Actually the best view of Chicago is from some of the new tall condo towers in the south loop. Just go up and tour some model home penthouses and it's free!

I hear you though. I go to NYC all the time. Never been to most of the tourist attractions. I have never even been to the statue of liberty.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 5,167,373 times
The view from on top of the Willis Center (Sears Tower) is still a pretty awesome view, y'all. I like the idea about going to City Hall in KC and going to the top to enjoy the view. Might look in to that some day. Downtown KC, MO, is only about 20 miles north of us here in Grandview, MO.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,772,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Mr. Dokie grew up north of the river just west of Antioch S/C. He and his buddies used to ride their bikes over the ASB bridge and go downtown to stamp and coin stores (he was really into that). He also climbed to the very top of the ASB bridge and walked across that way.

Trains are hypnotising. I used to work at the (old) Main Post Office on Pershing, and many times I'd use the ladies restroom on the 4th floor overlooking Union Station and the tracks. I'd get to watching the trains, and all of a sudden my restroom break had extended itself to 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City